cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY RAISES FEES AGAIN

TEN MORE CENTS A LISTING TO COVER MARKETING COSTS..WHAT A JOKE..THE EMPLOYESS THINKING OF NEW WAYS TO MARKET ALREADY WORK FOR EBAY..GUESS ITS FOR GAS TO DRIVE TO BUYERS HOUSES AND DO DOOR TO DOOR

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: EBAY RAISES FEES AGAIN

well, PP got the $0.30 long before 2020.

Could have been raised a penny a year from day one. 

Would that be an OK %age increase?

Message 31 of 56
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

many do not read, and are left unaware. The flood will hit after the actual 10 cent increase shows up on a sale🤣

That's true - that will ensure a steady supply.

Props, though, to those who actually read the update and keep up!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 32 of 56
latest reply

@teeastreasures wrote:

EBAY will make $100,000.00 a day or more on $.10, how about you

Well maybe if their sales increase.  Important to remember this Seller Update was for US sellers, not sellers worldwide.  I believe Canada is also getting the 10 cent increase, but I don't know about all the other countries.  So your number is for worldwide.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 56
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I don't see that.

Where is it .10 cents more?

I just pay the monthly fee....30 cents listing fee...and the % fee.

I think you did not mean a "30 cent listing fee" but a 30 cent fixed transaction fee.  That is being raised to 40 cents.

Message 34 of 56
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

"TEN MORE CENTS A LISTING  TO COVER MARKETING COSTS"

Is this true?
I haven't read the full announcement yet.

Other posters have been commenting on the increase in the "Per Order" fee:  It has been 30 cents per order for decades, and next month will be increasing to 40 cents per order.  

Is eBay, in True Fact, also increasing the "Listing" fee?   

Some are misstating what Ebay actually said in the Update.  This is exactly what the Winter Update said:

Our per-order fee is changing

We’ve kept our per-order fee consistent since we started processing payments in 2020, but due to rising costs, we’re making an adjustment to this fee. This change will enable us to continue to improve our marketplace so you and your buyers can have the best experience on eBay.

What you need to know

Starting March 15, 2024, the per-order fee on orders over $10 will increase from $0.30 to $0.40 across all categories.

For example, if you ​sell a trading card for $25 including shipping and tax, you’ll now pay a fee of $3.71 instead of $3.61, an increase of $0.10.

We understand this change could impact the economics of selling lower-priced items. That’s why for orders $10 and under, there’ll be no change and you’ll continue to be charged the current rate of $0.30.

Message 35 of 56
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

@teeastreasures wrote:

EBAY will make $100,000.00 a day or more on $.10, how about you

EXACTLY!

Is that just US and Canadian sales?

Did the Fixed transaction fee get increased in other countries?

Message 36 of 56
latest reply

@sundayvisit wrote:

As noted in the announcement, it has been $.30 per order since 2020. Now being raised to $.40 per order. That's a 33% increase, pretty steep. But, it's GreedBay, so...

Ebay is a for profit company, so yes they are here to make a profit.  That should not be a surprise to anyone, it is how America works.  We are a Capitalist society.

Sellers are here to make a profit too.  So since both Ebay wants to make a profit and Sellers want the same thing, doesn't that make BOTH of them greedy?!?!?  It can't just apply one sided.

Message 37 of 56
latest reply

Just because we are a capitalist society does not mean corporations needs to squeeze every time they can out of us. 10 cents for every item adds up. You sell $5,000 items that's an extra $500 a year that goes to eBay. When will eBay make a change that is for the benefit of the buyer or seller? They won't and never will because it's only about eBay. You're not their partner, you're their victim. 

Message 38 of 56
latest reply

that is the mentality of people and companies know it. 

As I posted on another thread:

So, they cut 1,000 jobs and then raise seller fees!

The nickel & dime system can be very profitable! Play with the math. 

Say eBay does 500,000 sales per day. Probably way more as a global company).

500,000 x .10 = $50,000

The other post I made: 

That is kind of the new corporate model across the board. 

Let's raise prices until we see a decline in sales. Then we know we reached our peak. I see this a lot at the grocery store. In the past year, prices were high, then I started seeing a drop in the past 6 months. Now, they are trying to replay the game. 

This even flows over to sporting events, concerts, and so on. 

Message 39 of 56
latest reply

@jupiter_collectibles wrote:

Just because we are a capitalist society does not mean corporations needs to squeeze every time they can out of us. 10 cents for every item adds up. You sell $5,000 items that's an extra $500 a year that goes to eBay. When will eBay make a change that is for the benefit of the buyer or seller? They won't and never will because it's only about eBay. You're not their partner, you're their victim. 

If you sell 500 separate transactions throughout the year, you will pay an additional $50 in fees.  Lots of sellers however sell multiple items to the same buyer and combine the shipping, so there may be one Fixed transaction fee for several items sold.

Again, overall it is a very small increase from Ebay that has not increased fees for over 3 years.  As we all know prices of things are so much higher now than they were 3 years ago.  This would of course affect Ebay too.  Employees expect raises as years go by too.  There are all kinds of costs that go up as time passes.  

There were changes in the Winter Seller Update that benefit some sellers.  Did you read the other things that are changing?  They may not benefit every seller, but then rarely does something do that.

If this fee increase is a burden on any seller, they just need to raise the price of their product about 12 cents and it will be well covered.

Message 40 of 56
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

that is the mentality of people and companies know it. 

As I posted on another thread:

So, they cut 1,000 jobs and then raise seller fees!

The nickel & dime system can be very profitable! Play with the math. 

Say eBay does 500,000 sales per day. Probably way more as a global company).

500,000 x .10 = $50,000

The other post I made: 

That is kind of the new corporate model across the board. 

Let's raise prices until we see a decline in sales. Then we know we reached our peak. I see this a lot at the grocery store. In the past year, prices were high, then I started seeing a drop in the past 6 months. Now, they are trying to replay the game. 

This even flows over to sporting events, concerts, and so on. 

This 10 cent fee increase was for the US and Canada, not worldwide, so it does affect sellers from other countries.

Sadly there are lots of companies doing layoffs this year.  Amazon, Etsy, Google, Macy's, UPS, Microsoft, and the list goes on and on.

The fee increase could have been so much worse for us.  I was relieved when I saw that it was 10 cents per payment received.  I sell often sell multiple items to one buyer.  As long as they pay in one transaction, the increase in fees is only 10 cents to us.  

Like any other increase from a vendor, sellers need to raise pricing to cover it, or about 12 cents per transaction.  That will have the seller covered and it gives them a little extra when they sell multiple things to the same buyer and get one payment.

A seller that sells about 500 transactions per year the fee increase will be $50 for them.

Message 41 of 56
latest reply

"Just because we are a capitalist society does not mean corporations needs to squeeze every time they can out of us. 10 cents for every item adds up. You sell $5,000 items that's an extra $500 a year that goes to eBay. When will eBay make a change that is for the benefit of the buyer or seller? They won't and never will because it's only about eBay. You're not their partner, you're their victim."

Oh, my goodness.  Are you planning to delete your 924 listings before March 15?  It's always a good idea to do everything you can to avoid being a victim.    

"10 cents for every item adds up."  Yes, of course, every ten cents add up.  However, you may have misread the announcement.  Here's the first sentence again:  "Starting March 15, 2024, the per-order fee on orders over $10 will increase from $0.30 to $0.40 across all categories."   

Firstly, this change will not affect the sales of every item on eBay.  When a buyer pays a total of $9.99 or less, the seller will not pay 40 cents per-order; he/she will still pay only 30 cents per-order.  

Secondly, this increase is to the "per-order" fee.   An Order could be one item or it could be many items.  Example:  A couple weeks ago I sold three embroidery pattern booklets to the same buyer who paid for all three items at the same time.  Each of those booklets was listed separately, so they were separate eBay items.  eBay considers that transaction to be One Order.  My fees were 13.25% of the total paid by the buyer plus thirty cents.  The thirty cents per-order fee divided by three items in the order means that fee was 10 cents for each booklet.  However, if three separate buyers had each bought one of those items, my total of per-order fees would have been 90 cents:  30 cents x 3 orders.

"You sell $5,000 items that's an extra $500 a year that goes to eBay."  The 30 cent or 40 cent per-order fee has no relation to the dollar amount of your sold items.  

Your calculation of "an extra $500 a year that goes to eBay" would have to be based on 5,000 individual sales of items for which your buyers pay more than $10.00 each.  If you are able to sell 5,000 individual  items on eBay, with total sales prices paid by your buyers of more than $10.00 each, in a year, my hat is off to you.  I am highly impressed!  Congratulations!  

"When will eBay make a change that is for the benefit of the buyer or seller?"  Hmmm.  Using that same example, 5,000 items for which you have to pay an additional per-order fee of $500 (compared to your pre-March 15, 2024 sales) -- well, barring a revision to the Internal Revenue Code, it seems to me that you will have $500 more in selling fees to deduct on your tax returns.  Sounds to me like a nice benefit.  

"They won't and never will because it's only about eBay."  I suggest you read up on the way corporations work.  eBay is a corporation.  Corporations are accountable to their investors.  Investors expect to earn returns -- money -- on their investments.  Therefore, corporations do exist to support their investors.  

"You're not their partner, you're their victim."  Who ever said that eBay sellers were partners with eBay?  Maybe -- just maybe -- people who operate a very large eBay Store might privately think of their store as an eBay partner, but even then, they would be a very junior partner.  No, sellers are not partners with eBay.  

Message 42 of 56
latest reply

""You're not their partner, you're their victim."  Who ever said that eBay sellers were partners with eBay?  Maybe -- just maybe -- people who operate a very large eBay Store might privately think of their store as an eBay partner, but even then, they would be a very junior partner.  No, sellers are not partners with eBay.  "

@monroe67 

Actually Ebay says they are our partners all the time.  I have always disagreed with this, but Ebay has said it for the last few years.

Message 43 of 56
latest reply

The small sales are what hurt eBay the most. The processing fee is the same (excluding the %).  Larger transactions make up the loss because the FVF fee is higher.

Think when most stores had like a $5 transaction limit to use a CC back in the day.

Funny that the people who get hit by the increased fee are the ones making the transaction more profitable. I think this fee should be only for transactions under $10. Hate me all you want.

Message 44 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jupiter_collectibles wrote:

If you sell 500 separate transactions throughout the year, you will pay an additional $50 in fees.  Lots of sellers however sell multiple items to the same buyer and combine the shipping, so there may be one Fixed transaction fee for several items sold.

Again, overall it is a very small increase from Ebay that has not increased fees for over 3 years.  As we all know prices of things are so much higher now than they were 3 years ago.  This would of course affect Ebay too.  Employees expect raises as years go by too.  There are all kinds of costs that go up as time passes.  

There were changes in the Winter Seller Update that benefit some sellers.  Did you read the other things that are changing?  They may not benefit every seller, but then rarely does something do that.

If this fee increase is a burden on any seller, they just need to raise the price of their product about 12 cents and it will be well covered.

@jupiter_collectibles 

I forgot something in my post above in response to your post.  It is a very important post.  You stated "You sell $5,000 items that's an extra $500 a year that goes to eBay. "  Which is BIG misunderstanding of the Fee increase on the fixed transaction fee.  The key here is FIXED TRANSACTION FEE.  

That fee is NOT based on the $$ value of your sales as you stated.  Only fees that are percentages work that way.  A fixed fee is charged whether you sold something for $100 or $10,000.  The fixed fee is the same.

So in your example if the seller sold ONE item for $5,000, their fee increase would have been 10 cents.

If for that $5,000 in sales it represented 500 transactions, then the additional fixed fee would be $50.00 for the year.

Message 45 of 56
latest reply