cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY Ad fees, kind of **bleep** off at them charging us on repeat business.

RE:  Ebay Ad fees

Kind of **bleep** off at Ebay ad fees, charging us on repeat/return customers.  I pay an ad fee to gain new business.  We should not have to pay ad fees for returning customers.  The ad fee had nothing to do with my customer returning to us to purchase from us again.  It was due to our premium products, great price, fast shipping and customer service that brought this customer back to our store.  Ebay at this point had nothing to do with that sale.  Therefore we should not be hit repeat ad fees once we obtained this customers faith in our retail/business store.   I find this to be just plain GREED.  

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

I hope this memo reaches the hierarchy of Ebay management for a review on this ad fee policy. 

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

@familygoodzz wrote:

I find this to be just plain GREED.  

But....but....but, I thought in corporate America greed was good.

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Ebay is following Esty's policy of 30 days out once clicked.  On Etsy you are automatically opted in once you hit 10K in 12 months.  You CANNOT opt out for LIFE.  Lets hope ebay does not follow that step.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 4 of 53
latest reply

I have many customers who made purchases months ago and years ago with no PL fee and now they return to repurchase the same item and SOLD VIA PROMOTED LISTINGS = ADD FEE STANDARD without any change to the listing. The PL fee no longer expires and is added to organic sales. STRAIGHT UP THEFT. I hope eBay is putting money aside for the litigation that will be. I guess this is all so they can pay the Steiners. Then they will create another scam to pay off the PL's settlement. It's a pyramid of pilferage.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

I particularly like those emails that say they will be REDEFINING words and the creation of new terms such as HALO SALES all involving NEW CALCULATIONS and better enhancing. Funny how expensive changing terminology is. I mean, do words even matter anymore? Nope, because we update the definitions.

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Strangely, one of the class action suits that ebay did lose was over their defunct "featured listings" option way back when.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 53
latest reply

@familygoodzz wrote:

I hope this memo reaches the hierarchy of Ebay management for a review on this ad fee policy. 

Sorry, the only ones that will see this is other buyers and sellers, not Ebay.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 53
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop  Please clarify:

Are you saying:

Buyer bought item from you more than 30 days ago from an organic listing. (No PLS fee)

Buyer now buys same item from you from an organic listing, and you are being charged a PLS fee.

OR

Are you saying:

Buyer bought item from you more than 30 days ago from an organic listing. (No PLS fee)

Buyer now buys same item from you from a Sponsored Listing, and you are being charged a PLS fee.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

The 'new' program is:

Buyer buys item using Promotions (originally found)

Any OTHER items they buy from you (because eBays PROMOTIONS is what got that customer to click) are ALSO charged that Promotion Fee.

Makes sense- as you would NOT have possibly got that customer in the first place.

Bottom Line- I always just use (in figuring costs) FVF+Promotion Fee on ALL SALES and those that are organic, good for me. I made a 'little more'. 

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

And before anyone else says it, technically they didn't "lose" as they "settled". But usually that means they thought they WERE going to lose.

IIRC that suit was for Featured Plus and claimed that sellers 'paid for visibility' which they did not receive.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

I too am confused by the initial post/scenario

The PL thing is product based, not store based....i don't think there is a way to distinguish between a buyer finding your product through returning to your 'store' or clicking on a sponsored ad....

i do somewhat see the OP position and point, but what is being asked is not programmable...you can't exclude "repeat buyers" from future PL listings....that's how they found the listing

I have had more than 1 repeat buyer not get charge PL because the product itself was not promoted...and I have had repeat buyers that must have bought from a PL ad......so, i dunno

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

Just so you can understand this, IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE YOUR LISTINGS PROMOTED AND STILL HAVE AN ORGANIC/DIRECT SALE ON THE SAID PROMOTED LISTINGS. I do it everyday. A buyer can visit your eBay store and browse and buy something DIRECTLY causing on of the only possible ways left for an organic sale. The item they purchased was part of a promoted listings campaign, but that played no part in the sale, thus an organic sale on a promoted item.

Same buyer comes back 3 months later and purchases the same item, SOLD VIA PROMOTED LISTINGS.

I understand you want to defend eBay's every stupid move, but I'm not spending the time typing here for your reply. Only to "raise awareness" as to how manipulating the policies and definitions are. I really couldn't care about what I sell. I have no special attachment to the items. When they sell, I buy more.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

If eBay didn't read what is being said about them, then why are some of their ex-employees in prison for terrorizing people? And they also have a little $64 million dollar fund awaiting to pay damages to the victims. 

My guess is eBay has their ear to the wall. They have plenty of time on their hands as they are not doing anything productive with their time other than raising fees, changing how fees are calculated, and redefining and creating terminology.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@familygoodzz wrote:

I find this to be just plain GREED.  

But....but....but, I thought in corporate America greed was good.

An intense selfish desire for profit may ultimately prove to be disastrous.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply