cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants refund for damage done by the post office. Won't respond to my messages. Now what?

Buyer opened a return request stating post office damaged package and damaged item. Buyer purchased priority shipping which covers damage up to $100. Item with shipping was $39. I sent a reply telling buyer the package, all the protective wrapping and item needs to be taken to the post office for refund. No reply. have messaged  2 more times over 3 days. No reply. I want ebay to step in, but the instructions say that I need to click on "resolve a problem" to get ebay help. No such option available, not in the listing, return page, details page, etc. So now what? Do I report the buyer? My concern is that the buyer may already have been reimbursed by the post office and is trying to get additional money from me. Help!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer wants refund for damage done by the post office. Won't respond to my messages. Now what?

That's not how insurance works for the USPS. Insurance is for the seller, not the buyer. You as the seller will have to start a case with USPS and typically they ask that you have the buyer show the damaged packaging in person. Most buyers do not want to be burdened with that and they aren't obligated to do so. 

On eBay the seller is responsible for getting the item delivered intact. All the buyer has to do is open a return case on eBay and you will be forced to fully refund your buyer, regardless of what you do with USPS. Your best bet is to ask the buyer to return the item to you so you can follow up on your own. Always remember eBay offers a money back guarantee to all buyers. Best of luck to you....

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

That's not how insurance works for the USPS. Insurance is for the seller, not the buyer. You as the seller will have to start a case with USPS and typically they ask that you have the buyer show the damaged packaging in person. Most buyers do not want to be burdened with that and they aren't obligated to do so. 

On eBay the seller is responsible for getting the item delivered intact. All the buyer has to do is open a return case on eBay and you will be forced to fully refund your buyer, regardless of what you do with USPS. Your best bet is to ask the buyer to return the item to you so you can follow up on your own. Always remember eBay offers a money back guarantee to all buyers. Best of luck to you....

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

The Post Office would not reimburse the buyer, because the buyer is not the person who is insured.  You are are insured person.  You bought the carrier insurance, to protect yourself in case the shipment was lost or damaged.  You reimburse the buyer, and then you go after the carrier to reimburse you.

And that's not just an eBay policy.  it is your obligation under The Perfect Tender Rule of the U.S. Uniform Commercial Code to get the merchandise to the buyer, in a timely manner and intact.

-

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Sorry.  Cross-post.  Your post was not showing when I posted mine.

-

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

The postal service may have done the damage but YOU have to make good on it.   You have to deal with any insurance claims. Not the buyer.   No you don't want eBay to step in either.  They will refund on your dime and worse yet ding your account for poor customer service.    You need to deal with it right away.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Post office told me buyer has to take everything to the post office and request refund, so I passed that on to the buyer. I still think it is odd that buyer doesn't reply to messages.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Post office told me that the buyer has to bring the packaging and item to  the post office and request a refund because the package is insured, not me or the buyer. As a buyer I've never faulted a seller for postal damage because it's something a seller has no control over. But it seems from the replies that ebay doesn't care.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Why report the buyer?

They are waiting for you to accept the return or refund.

If you want to make an insurance claim:

Ask the buyer for a few pictures of the item and package, then refund the buyer.
Have the buyer hang on to the item and package so it can be inspected.
You file a claim with the carrier.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

The last time I handled an insurance claim I refunded the buyer and then handled the claim myself.  See if your buyer will send you an image of the ruined package and item.

Don't let eBay step in and handle anything - you'll lose the item,  the money and get a big black mark.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

It's not the buyers problem if the post office screwed up. Have buyer return then refund after you get it. Or if you can't salvage it. Just refund and let them keep it.

It's also probably not worth the headache of doing the insurance claim.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I for one think the USPS policy that the buyer take the package to the Post Office is nonsense and needs to be changed. Why would a buyer waste their time taking a package to the Post Office so that a seller can get a refund? Buyers won't even go to the Post Office to pick up packages there. I can't blame them. I do everything possible to avoid going to my local Post Office which has a one star review and scathing reviews by costumers. I think the USPS should arrange to have a mailman pick up the item and deliver it to the Post Office. 

No, the buyer has not been reimbursed by the Post Office.  You either send a shipping label to the buyer or lose the item and your money. eBay will let the buyer keep the item and refund the buyer from your account. 

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@lepke1979 wrote:

It's not the buyers problem if the post office screwed up. Have buyer return then refund after you get it. Or if you can't salvage it. Just refund and let them keep it.

It's also probably not worth the headache of doing the insurance claim.

The "headache" involves a couple of minutes filling out an online form. While it's true that USPS will do what they can to decline the claim, not bothering just lets them know that their plan is working.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

The entire thing smells funny to me.  This is why.  Buyer paid for priority mail.  Which means that it covers $100.  That's my first clue.  He/She can just contact the Post Office and get a refund or get the insurance money.  But he/she is not doing it.  He/she is coming to you.  Forget about how you package what ever you sold.  How ever you package it, it arrive safe to its destination.  Buyer is just trying to get you to issue a refund and get the item for just the price of shipping.  

As a seller, I got this kind of excuses.  Don't issue a refund.  Just tell the buyer to return the item, and that you are more than happy to pay for the return shipping.  Most likely, you will not hear from this buyer again.  Btw, put this clown in your Block Buyers List.

Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@joseh1445 Why are you calling the buyer a clown? Clearly you do not know how USPS insurance claims work; only the seller can file a claim. The seller has to refund when they buyer opens a not as described case, and the seller can work on getting reimbursed from the post office since they are the one who insured the package. The buyer is not expected to wait for their refund while a seller does any of that. If they open a case and the seller does not refund in the time stated eBay usually allows them to keep both the refund and the item, but only because the seller is refusing to follow the correct procedure after a case has been opened.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Go to USPS web page, file a claim, follow instructions

Ask buyer to send pictures of box and item damaged, you will need to supply pictures with your claim.

Tell your buyer you need these pictures to help you file a claim so you can refund them.

Once you get pictures, do a refund.... with them returning item.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply