cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

Hi everyone, I have been having a regrettable October, with sales from 10/1 to 10/6 as abnormally slow, then a small spike in sales 10/7-10/9, then a sheer dive to 1 sale over the past 42 hours. I started a sale in all 4 of my eBay stores on 10/11 at 8:30am EST, with one purchase on 10/11 at 5:36pm EST. Yes I have 4 eBay stores, near 3000 total listings, close to 125,000 total available inventory items....and I’ve had a total of 4 sales in 3 days (including the 1 purchase in the past 42 hours). I’ve contacted eBay twice (once today and once yesterday) because this has not happened to my stores before. I generally have 6-12 sales a day as an average (all 4 stores combined), and I have followed slow times and higher selling times as usual ebbs and flows. Every promotion/sale I’ve started (10% off usually with combined shipping) has purchases being made with some consistency everyday. It’s now 2:30pm EST on 10/12, and again no purchases across all 4 stores. 

I feel like I seeing a deficit on eBay’s part here. They’ve assured me that my listings are visiable, I’m using the correct key words, I’m running promotions....and yet there is no explanation for the stunning drop in sales. 

Is anyone else seeing something similar? I’m very concerned....

Message 1 of 258
latest reply
257 REPLIES 257

Re: Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

My sales tanked when the new mobile app updated late August/ early September? I was doing about $3k a month now I’m barely breaking $500 a month. This is not good!!

Message 181 of 258
latest reply

Ok, lets set the record straight and get this out on the table, Ebay doesn't care if you sink or swim. Its not about you as a seller its about the trade market what has been effect us is simple. " China", it is the issue with sales. Ebay has aggrement with China to send more product to warehouses that Ebay owns and stock pile this product since 2013. 

No one noticed that this was happening and that was the up swing for Ebay to take the money that sellers are paying for store front and commision basics. If you have a store its pretty much a failed effort for everyone for your efforts, I'll explain.

The problem for us is Ebay is collecting revenue from sellers to buy product from china to stock pile while this tarrif is about to be set in function, what Ebay is doing is very coniving and direct for collecting your money to help push this new agreement forward. 

Now you might call them and they act stupid, but that is part of there ploy. They are taking you as a fool. 

You better just find another avenue while there is still time

Message 182 of 258
latest reply

ebay shut my listings off again today 2 good days, 1 sale today, i guess that is all i get for this month,and I'm paying for this ?? show my listings!!! 

Message 183 of 258
latest reply

That sounds pretty dramatic to me!! Where did you come up with that info? I agree though that China is an issue!! They have saturated every search page! 😞

Message 184 of 258
latest reply

Yes sells are sucking big time for me .

Message 185 of 258
latest reply

my listings got turned on for a brief moment just to make enough to add to what I have in pp to pay my fees 😞

Rare to put money in the bank anymore.
I use to do so well making money for ebay and spending money for me to buy on ebay.... So sad!
Message 186 of 258
latest reply

august this year 2,800 in sales,

sept 1,700,

october 1,500

this month 12 days in ? 630.00 and that is counting my sales spike from the 7th to the 10th.

yesterday one sale today, nothing yet today, this is with working 13 hours yesterday listing items.  So if trend remains the same, i guess this months total will be 1,260.00.  I pay ebay 450.00, pay shipping costs, fees, what does that leave? not enough to live on. ebay has ruined my once thriving business, completely ruined it. ebay is taking what i pay them for showing my listings and not following through, yet ebay is still collecting their fees as though they are doing what i pay them to do. Angry doesn't nearly describe how i feel. 

Message 187 of 258
latest reply

Me and my husband are disabled vets...I did so well selling to suppliment. I can't rely on that anymore...it's so hard to make it from month to month. Bless you Man! I hope you find a way to sell!

Message 188 of 258
latest reply

Sales have slowed down considerably in October and getting worse in November.

Only items that are “promoted” sell now and that makes it even more expensive than Amazon.

Message 189 of 258
latest reply

I feel your pain my friend...what has happend to you is EXACTLY what has happened to me...I have never seen SUCH A DRASTIC SALES COLLAPSE in all my nearly 20 years on ebay even during the 2007 2008 recession. THIS HAS ME FURIOUS....my only consolation is that the outright malfeasance of WENIG will finally motivate me to start MY OWN SITE and hopefully one day I will  be successfully out from under the thumb of the tyrannical regime now running small ebay sellers into the ground. 

Message 190 of 258
latest reply

Something mysterious is going on. I still think that the visibilty of my/our items is in question. I sell cameras and I have had a 'Cult' Pentax K1000 camera on ebay for 3.5 days. In this time, I have only had 46 'Hits'. By now, it should in or close to  3 figure hit tally. It is listed on over 20 countries and it is a very popular camera with College Students.

Now, you can't tell me that 46 hits is good and a current price of a piddley £12, beggar's belief. Imagine giving a way £10 notes free of charge for a week and only getting 46 hits in 3.5 days, well it's very similar, but something is definitely WRONG Big time. I know roughly what hits I get on certain products and it is down by 75%, so lets look at what the problems could be, then you can take your pick.

1. BREXIT and the 'fact' that Austerity is now 'over' according to T. May.

A. RUBBISH!, she's bluffing to make her Government look credible. Nobody has any money (the average person is still struggling.) Austerity and normal spending as it used to be is many years away,

2. Christmas:  Inevitably, we can't put it off and because we are all feeling the pinch, people have come back from their Holiday with large Credit Card bills to pay, and now they won't spend until nearer Christmas...UNLESS a bargain turns up on ebay. This is another reason why sales are down.

3. Buyer's for our ebay products always want something for nothing, so they hold off until the last minute to hope that other's will put off bidding too. That's fairly normal, but these days, everyone wants everything at next to no cost. Why, see reason 1.

4. Nobody is choosing ebay to sell due to high fees, unfair and unreasonbale trading policies which favour ONLY the buyer, so sellers are going to other sites. Ebay will lose out in the end.

5.  Ebay's system for some reason may not be operating to full visibility. Think of how many countries you include in your listing, how many millions of people in each country have a Computer and how many tens of thousands of people want a well know product. How come the Viewing Figures  are so abismal. I think there is something wrong with ebay's operating system which will affect them as well as us?

6. Seasonal Lul, it happened earlier on in the year when hits went way down. We as sellers could do so much better if ebay wern't so greedy, then people would go back to them. They wouild rather increase fees if fewer people use them, to make up for their losses, but NO, it will compound the problem to everyone. There needs to be a compromise, so Sellers may be better off looking elsewhere for a while.

Choose your answer or add them all together to get a collective reason. There's no easy fix on this one as ebay will never or rarely back down, but they need to make a better name for themselves than they have now, so perhaps they need new blood to remodel the whole company. Richard Branson, maybe he could afford to buy them out, but that may be beyond even his budget?

I blame ebay, pure and simple for running  a bad and inefficient business.

Message 191 of 258
latest reply

Well they definitely are doing something that is for sure. Very irradic. October for sure had some funky stuff going on cause that whole month was extremely crazy. But as you can see there is no doubt something going on and folks the people are not just disapearing they are thier it is the listings that are disapearing into the woods untill for whatever factor it decides to show up again. I have had newley listed items buried so far into the woods in which price had nothing to do with it my status has nothing to do with it and they are highly desirable items that would sell in a day or two and still will if they were just there to be seen. Now I can also say after making phone calls that what is seen in one state is not what is seen in another state and the placement of listings is not the in the same spot when looking at things from different states. So who knows what they are doing but they are definitely doing something all the other crazy items are no longer popular cause they have been in the store or it was a holiday or your tile is not right is all rubbish. they are doing something with the algorithem.

sales.png

Message 192 of 258
latest reply

Hi

The category I sell in (jewelry - Pandora charm bracelets) has over 24,000 listings. What I have noticed for the last 6 months or so is that Ebay (on their default "best match" seach) give priority to THE SAME 50 - 100 items ALL THE TIME.  If you look at these items, they have sold multiples of them and continue to sell even more because of ebays high placement bias toward them.  It's like the search results are frozen in their favor. This is totally unfair and unjust to all the other sellers. When I list a new item, it will show up in the first 100 listings and then progressively go on down the page. However, the SAME 50-100 items are still in their same place.  One of these items has been at number two for months, never ever moves.  I contacted ebay a month ago and they said they would take screen shots of the page to see if this is happening.  They said if I was right, they would pass this on to technical support. Needless to say, nothing has been done.  And of course these SAME items are selling like hot cakes because, let's face it, most buyers only want to look at the first few lisings - don't have the time or inclination to go to, say, page 20!  My sales are down about 80 per cent from last year because of this.  Don't buyers get sick of seeing the same old stale 50-100 listings all the time.  How about ebay featuring new and different items for other sellers.  On a final note, most of these same listings are not PROMOTED, even that does not work for me.  Hope this all makes sense. Ebay should be fair to all sellers especially with the holidays coming up. Hope things change for you and Ebay get their act together......

Message 193 of 258
latest reply

just love what ebay is doing under the title of an item, this is what it says on of mine and most are like this " 3 ORIGINAL PRINT MAGAZINE ADS. BORDERS ARE NOT PART OF THE ADS. BUY ONE ITEM. ARRIVES QUICKLY AND SAFELY." 

They are simply picking sentences to put in and none of it makes sense, i put black and white in color box now my ads are either black or white but not both. I typed ad in the search box and the extremely disgusting ad of a mans **bleep** popped up first. i tried collectibles advertising and the screen shot of colostomy medicine was a banner across the page  and i wonder why my sales are down 60% whoever thought this up is an idiot complete idiot 

Message 194 of 258
latest reply

even better they can show the mans **bleep** but they bleep out the word in this message how ironic 

Message 195 of 258
latest reply