cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

Hi everyone, I have been having a regrettable October, with sales from 10/1 to 10/6 as abnormally slow, then a small spike in sales 10/7-10/9, then a sheer dive to 1 sale over the past 42 hours. I started a sale in all 4 of my eBay stores on 10/11 at 8:30am EST, with one purchase on 10/11 at 5:36pm EST. Yes I have 4 eBay stores, near 3000 total listings, close to 125,000 total available inventory items....and I’ve had a total of 4 sales in 3 days (including the 1 purchase in the past 42 hours). I’ve contacted eBay twice (once today and once yesterday) because this has not happened to my stores before. I generally have 6-12 sales a day as an average (all 4 stores combined), and I have followed slow times and higher selling times as usual ebbs and flows. Every promotion/sale I’ve started (10% off usually with combined shipping) has purchases being made with some consistency everyday. It’s now 2:30pm EST on 10/12, and again no purchases across all 4 stores. 

I feel like I seeing a deficit on eBay’s part here. They’ve assured me that my listings are visiable, I’m using the correct key words, I’m running promotions....and yet there is no explanation for the stunning drop in sales. 

Is anyone else seeing something similar? I’m very concerned....

Message 1 of 258
latest reply
257 REPLIES 257

have also been "sliding of the cliff" lately...likely just the normal ebb & flow...hang in there.

Message 2 of 258
latest reply

Yup I am going through the exact same thing. Ever since Oct 1st my sales have nosedived. I mean I am down 30% over Sept when normally I am UP 30% over Sept during all previous years and I have been selling here since 2002.

Not sure exactly what is going on but you are NOT alone. Many sellers are experiencing the same drop.

Message 3 of 258
latest reply

Exactly the same here! My Ebay Impression count screen has not even updated since 9/30/18! What is happening? I have been selling since 2002, and have never had a slump like this!
Message 4 of 258
latest reply

I posted about this last week, I average $500-$600 a week in sales and just under $2000 a month. This is average for the LAST 6 years, I have 9 total sales this month for $128.00 12 days into the month??? This is unchartered territory. I have 1150-1300 active listings at all times. It is like I was ushered to the black hole or this place is an utter ghost town. My listing IMPRESSIONS are down 37% for the last 30 days with no explainations and my sales are down 30% for 30 days and 37% from last year. I have listed 15 new items in the last 4 days and still nothing!

Message 5 of 258
latest reply

Me too. Slow altogether, but over the past 48 hours I have once again entered what I like to term the Ebay black hole. I feel like my listings are not even being seen. This happens over and over. Then, like magic, you are once again revealed to the world for a brief window where I may get 4-5 sales in a couple of hours, only to return to the land of crickets.
Message 6 of 258
latest reply

Do promotions make your items

harder to be seen (as opposed to being easier to be seen/purchased)? I feel there is something going on with the promotions that work against more sales (or at this point, ANY sales).

Message 7 of 258
latest reply

Looking back at last year, spring and fall are super slow, summer and winter pickup a bit.

Message 8 of 258
latest reply

I have noticed this as well. Slowest it has ever been. I am a small time seller. On average though, I maybe sell two items a week. Nothing. Not even a low ball offer or inquiry. I have notice my amounts of watchers had gone up though. It seems like ever since eBay instituted this new “easy pricing” option . My sales have all but frozen. If you don’t know about it, how it works is after a listing has been up for 10 days, every five days thereafter eBay automatically lowers the price by 5% percent until the item gets to 4.20. The thing is you have to 1. Make sure you don’t accidentally turn it on 2. Make sure it doesn’t default to it. 3. Turn it off it does. Maybe people are just doing that now trying to score good deals 

Message 9 of 258
latest reply

@delawareoutdoordecor wrote:

Hi everyone, I have been having a regrettable October, with sales from 10/1 to 10/6 as abnormally slow, then a small spike in sales 10/7-10/9, then a sheer dive to 1 sale over the past 42 hours. I started a sale in all 4 of my eBay stores on 10/11 at 8:30am EST, with one purchase on 10/11 at 5:36pm EST. Yes I have 4 eBay stores, near 3000 total listings, close to 125,000 total available inventory items....and I’ve had a total of 4 sales in 3 days (including the 1 purchase in the past 42 hours). I’ve contacted eBay twice (once today and once yesterday) because this has not happened to my stores before. I generally have 6-12 sales a day as an average (all 4 stores combined), and I have followed slow times and higher selling times as usual ebbs and flows. Every promotion/sale I’ve started (10% off usually with combined shipping) has purchases being made with some consistency everyday. It’s now 2:30pm EST on 10/12, and again no purchases across all 4 stores. 

I feel like I seeing a deficit on eBay’s part here. They’ve assured me that my listings are visiable, I’m using the correct key words, I’m running promotions....and yet there is no explanation for the stunning drop in sales. 

Is anyone else seeing something similar? I’m very concerned....

Beginning of the month was on fire. Hit a brick wall on the 6th. It has picked up for me the past day or two. I think the site was being tweaked but am not sure. I'm chalking it up as a lull. Also - the us markets tanked this week so peeps were hanging onto their $ more. Buckle up Q4 is here and it's about to get really busy.

Message 10 of 258
latest reply

October has notoriously been my slowest month in retail by a wide, wide margin.

May be tied to my location or the product I sold but it seems to carry over to on-line now as well.

I'm running a 45% off dead stock sale right now...seems to be mitigating that bleed out for now

Message 11 of 258
latest reply

Yep, experiencing the same trend
Message 12 of 258
latest reply

Yep...same boat as you. Sales are way, way down year over year. Nothing but red in my dashboard. As I noted in another post about ebay search, I've done over 2K in the last 30 days on 12 sales on another website with a fraction of the reach of ol' ebay. A consistent result for that site over the last 90 days of selling there.

Same period for ebay is I do believe just a hair over 3K and a lot of that was on pocket watches I was trying to clear out that I auctioned and heavily discounted at fixed price. Frankly, without the pocket watch clearance, my sales on the other website would have been more than ebay….shocking..... Very disappointing given all the costs associated with selling here.

Cheers
Message 13 of 258
latest reply

@membersinceaug2001 wrote:

Looking back at last year, spring and fall are super slow, summer and winter pickup a bit.

With all due respect, spring and summer is usually slow due to vacations, people being outdoors and such~fall and winter pick up a bit.  But your experience may be different than most, depending on what you sell.  Good Luck to you.

Message 14 of 258
latest reply

Well everyone. Years ago we used to get 50 views a day, EVERY day per item. Now we get 1-2.  So? I've been waiting for ebay to pull themselves together SINCE 2012. I have no clue why this happened to us years ago? and it's now only catching up to everyone else? Maybe by catagory? Because we were 100 percent postive. Never even had a return and this hit us LONG ago. I say the Artificial intelligence  is not so smart. But if any of you think this is gonna be fixed, I wouldnt count on it.

Message 15 of 258
latest reply