cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

Hi everyone, I have been having a regrettable October, with sales from 10/1 to 10/6 as abnormally slow, then a small spike in sales 10/7-10/9, then a sheer dive to 1 sale over the past 42 hours. I started a sale in all 4 of my eBay stores on 10/11 at 8:30am EST, with one purchase on 10/11 at 5:36pm EST. Yes I have 4 eBay stores, near 3000 total listings, close to 125,000 total available inventory items....and I’ve had a total of 4 sales in 3 days (including the 1 purchase in the past 42 hours). I’ve contacted eBay twice (once today and once yesterday) because this has not happened to my stores before. I generally have 6-12 sales a day as an average (all 4 stores combined), and I have followed slow times and higher selling times as usual ebbs and flows. Every promotion/sale I’ve started (10% off usually with combined shipping) has purchases being made with some consistency everyday. It’s now 2:30pm EST on 10/12, and again no purchases across all 4 stores. 

I feel like I seeing a deficit on eBay’s part here. They’ve assured me that my listings are visiable, I’m using the correct key words, I’m running promotions....and yet there is no explanation for the stunning drop in sales. 

Is anyone else seeing something similar? I’m very concerned....

Message 1 of 258
latest reply
257 REPLIES 257

Re: Dramatic Drop in Sales/Very Slow October 2018

Same here, it's not you. Call eBay and they will tell you... Keywords, free shipping blah, blah, blah. Since October 1st, not only can't I sell anything my impresions and views were showing zero.  I called and explained to them (deaf ears) the sellers would rather their honesty. If something is wrong, tell us about it!  Stop making us think it's us. We pay their bills, we keep them in business and yet we are held in the dark. Frustrating beyond words. We all know our stores, the lows and the highs and we take that in stride. But something serious is going on here. Glad it's not how I pay by bills or I Would be in trouble.   Just hoping they fix it soon before holiday sales start to kick in. Squeaky wheels-keep calling-maybe they will listen someday 🙂 Good luck to all! 

Message 16 of 258
latest reply

Was just looking at 1 selling account. It said down 35% from the last 31 days.

I don't put much stock into the "views"/"impressions end of it. eBay has reported glitches in the display of those #'s but when sales are down it is simple to see.

My listings are not seasonally/vacation/Holiday driven. One account may not even match the June slump.

In Jul/Aug I passed on sourcing inventory due to the June slump. I may live to regret sourcing more inventory this month, but it is a long winter, so it may work out.

My carrier probablly thinks that I quit selling, as there was nothing in the box to be picked up this week. Generally have 15+ a week to go.

Had some Saturday-Columbus Day sales. I did make a trip to the PO with some on Tuesday, as the day after a Holiday is always an overload day for the carrier.  Glad I did, as by the time she arrived I do not think any packages would have made it back to the office in time for the day's pickup of outgoing mail.

Message 17 of 258
latest reply

After three years of steadily increasing sales in October ... THIS October is horrible. Down over 65% from last year.

I blame the eBay's constant changes and glitches. Buyers will NOT put up with it any longer ... they'll just go somewhere else. I know I do.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 18 of 258
latest reply

yup 10 sales for $147 so far this month with 1170 active listings and adding 5 new each day. my impressions are down 40% in the last month and page views down 41% sales are off 48% from last october. AND NOW I CAN'T RELIST IN BULK, Something is broken 3 trys to relist 5 items and all 3 times page changes to either all blank or only 1 of 5 going through, TOTALLY BROKEN! I am so fed up with this place.

Message 19 of 258
latest reply

My sales have been slightly slower so far in October than usual, but there have been a lot of people affected by Hurricanes Florence and Michael - not just those living in those areas, but those that are trying to help out.   Right now my discretionary funds are going to help family members in Wilmington, NC - not shopping on ebay.   

Message 20 of 258
latest reply

I've been very busy selling and shipping for the last three weeks.  But I sell a very different type of item.

I"ve had slow weeks, but I always have had some sales.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 21 of 258
latest reply

For this user name it appears your sales are consistant.  You have the exact same number of sales for each of the last 3 months based on your sold item page.

Also summer is over so it a good chance buyers of your items are not decorating outdoors any longer until spring time?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 22 of 258
latest reply

Same here for my husband and I, he has a store as well. Day 4 without a sell and not one day this year have I not had at the very least, 1 package going out until now. Something has to be wrong on their end with such a noticable difference from so many.

I keep saying I need to start selling on Esty, looks like it maybe time to make a move.

I think many times, someone highup make a change and come hell or highwater they will refuse they were wrong. 

Jesus eBay,  whatever, whoever changed, for the love of God change it back already. 

Message 23 of 258
latest reply

Curious of how many sellers who have had the dramtic drop in sales,  haven't also jumped on board to eBay's "managed payments" yet. My husband and I haven't and they are pushing that hard. I even recieved a pretty pink envelope in the mail with an endorsement for it and several messages in my inbox. I'm not signing up until the managed payments accepts Paypal. From what I read, that will not be so until summer 2019. 

Message 24 of 258
latest reply

I have several thoughts as I read thru the complaints on this board and check out what the seller has listed and what they have sold recently.

1.  There are many things going on right now that ebay has absolutely no control over - this is yard sale and flea market season with craft shows on the horizon.   If the weather is nice more folks are spending time outdoors or shopping at retail outlets than in front of their computers.   In my area the number of thrift stores has been steadily increasing. 

2.  Parts of the country are recovering from two major hurricanes - other areas floods and wildfires. Most of my sales this month have come from New England and the rust belt - areas which haven't been affected much by natural disasters.   For me, this isn't normal. 

3.  The collectibles market is on the downturn, and has been for some time, and some items are now more seasonal sellers.

4.  If I am going to spend $100 or more on an item - most of the time I would want to examine it - especially items such as antiques and jewelry - there are too many fakes and knockoffs as well as unknowledgable sellers.   Relying on ten pictures and a sometimes skimpy description is not worth the risk of more than $25. 

5.  Then there are sellers who run promotions - sales spike when 30-50% off, but dry up after the promotion is over - usually indicating pricing was too high initially. 

6. Past sales aren't often a good  predictor of future sales.  Buyers' needs, wants,  and habits change.  

Very few sellers actually post on this board so to come to the conclusion that because 50-100 sellers aren't doing as well as they have in the past is representative of all ebay sellers just doesn't fly. 

Ebay has had glitches from the beginning, and changes sometimes take a while to work all the kinks out.   A glitch may affect sales for a day or two,  but generally they are not the reason for an ebb and flow in sales.    Yes, ebay uses algorithms in their search engine which benefit some more than others,  but no one is throwing a switch off and on for individual sellers. 

There is a whole big wide world outside of ebay that sellers should also pay attention to.......

Message 25 of 258
latest reply

Same here! I had a short window opened between Oct 4-6, then nothing. This happens to me every few months, no matter the period of the year. So frustrating - as if my listings were invisible, no offers from buyers, no questions, no sales...

Message 26 of 258
latest reply

This is my theory and you are the perfect shop to test it.{you dont seem to have may listings}

you have 'Amish Handmade Hanging' in a few of your titles.

I think this is now being picked up as duplicate listings by a stupid algoryth change in the last week or so.

Alter your titles to make them ore unique and see if it changes ...please report back if it does.

I am in the uk and there are folk with the same story the last week.

Message 27 of 258
latest reply

59 parts you have the same kind of thing going on.

sammyinez you are being flagged for a duplicate

Message 28 of 258
latest reply

Flagged for a duplicate? Explain.
Message 29 of 258
latest reply

You really think I didn't consider all of the above as variables? Your points haven't affected my other $17,000 in sales in the past year. I guess within the last 5 days, boom! Now they do? Interesting as Korner with a K.
Message 30 of 258
latest reply