cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ebay notify sellers when they end an aging listing?

Does anyone know if there is an account setting that I'm not seeing so that I receive notification that ebay has ended a listing? All of our listings auto -renew. When I cam back from being let go because of Covid, I noticed quite a few listings were no longer there. I assumed the owner had removed the listings. Recently, I was checking for items that I might want to scrap, and they weren't listed any more.

I checked my account settings, and don't see an option to get notified when they are about to end a listing. Not for violating policy. I think just because the items had no views for a long time. The owner wants to keep them active and listed. We pay for a store and are never even close to our limits. So many times, people have said they were looking for an item  and found it on our ebay store.

Is there a way to set up our account so that we are notified before they delete an item? It's a pain having to redo entire listings

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Does ebay notify sellers when they end an aging listing?

@coolections wrote:

You must have very bad luck.

Or you know ebay ended listings just like ebay said they were going to.

Apparently they had a update where they said they were doing it....quite some time ago. I'm in the forum everyday and even I missed it.

But with 6000+ listings and none ending up in the unsold file...it was years before I found out some of them....I'll probably never find them all.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I don't run anything past 90 days (3 listing cycles) yet even with my paltry number of listings I still lose several every month. 

Very strange. I have never had an item removed and the longest I have ever kept something active is 6 months. You must have very bad luck.

This is common with other clothing sellers I've talked with.

My theory is that the listings are not removed when they've only been up for a few months, but it's a database error and they're lost due to a DB event of some kind - maybe it's the supersaturated category and indexing problems during update? Who knows. The only data point on actual active listing removal I've been able to find was that mention on a podcast, and that was a while ago.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

I have some that have been running for 6 years. Never "noticed" a deletion but how would I tell with 1200 listings?

Yeah, pre-COVID (where I shut my store down for a while) I had some listings that had been around for 5+ years. I know for sure that none of them were ever deleted because I only delete the photos associated with a listing when the listing sells, so if the photos are still there in my photo folder, then the item hasn't sold yet.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* wrote:

@cstpos 

it does say they pull listings that are over a year old and show no sales. IDK!?!?

If they really did that, there'd be a lot less listings on ebay lol

Like chap I've had listings just go poof and they were way less than a year old, and meanwhile listings that are over 3 years old remain.

ebay don't send emails for poofed listings because ebay themselves have no idea when how or why it happens. They've admitted it from time to time but even though they know it happens they take zero responsibility for it, same as relisted sold items.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

We have had listings run as long as 3-4 years and not get removed.  We have, however, had listings disappear for other reasons, sometimes with a message if it's a violation of some type (would you believe they wouldn't let us list a military manual...from the 1940s?), but sometimes totally invisibly.  I developed a way to check our listings against what's live and do that every few weeks or so, and we have to just recreate listings that disappear if it's even worth it.  Usually they're newer items, say 3-4 months old, rather than our older listings.  Sometimes even items within the last month.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply