cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to sell $600+ item to buyer with new account & only 3 feedback?

I've had a surface pro listed for a few months with not too much interest (a few low offers made).  Then everyday for the last three days I got several offers.  

I was going to accept one of them, but because of selling a higher priced item and also doing so under the new Managed Payments I wanted to do a bit of research on the current seller protections since there's not the seller protection from paypal anymore which saved me from a very delayed chargeback once in the past.

Anyways, I noticed a few threads of people saying they had increased disputes/scams on items they sold since changing over to Managed Payments.  And I missed the window to accept the person's offer (whom seemed okay - they had pages of positive feedback and had been a member for several years and even included a note when they made the offer).

But, before I could reach out to her to see somebody bought the item today and they only have 3 feedbacks and their account was made just March 15th.

Should I be leery?  Is there more risk with selling now that Managed Payments is in effect?  I'm assuming I have to sell to this person right?  If so, is there anything I can do at this point to give myself extra protection if it is a shady deal?

Thanks for all help.  This is the first sale of this amount I'll be making on ebay.  So very very much appreciated

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do I have to sell $600+ item to buyer with new account & only 3 feedback?

Personally, I have had no problems with MP.  The one chargeback I had was taken care of in my favor with no charges on me.

If you go thru with this sale, make sure to insure the package and get signature confirmation.

If you feel uneasy about it, you can cancel it, but you risk getting a defect on your account.

Here is the link for info>

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136

I've had several sales where the ebay account was opened the same day as my item was purchased. They all went thru without incident.

I've also had several sales with months old accounts with little feedback, all went thru w/o incident.

Good Luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

We all started at one point, however, I would be leery of selling valuable item to new buyer. Way too many scams out there to list. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Personally, I have had no problems with MP.  The one chargeback I had was taken care of in my favor with no charges on me.

If you go thru with this sale, make sure to insure the package and get signature confirmation.

If you feel uneasy about it, you can cancel it, but you risk getting a defect on your account.

Here is the link for info>

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136

I've had several sales where the ebay account was opened the same day as my item was purchased. They all went thru without incident.

I've also had several sales with months old accounts with little feedback, all went thru w/o incident.

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

MP has no real effect on buyers as far as problems go.

if you are leery of shipping the item maybe you could ask yourself would you ship it to a reshipper or an international sale.

I always feel fine about USA shipping no matter how many feedback

I will always ship international too

3 feedback is a whole lot more than zero

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Can you afford to loose a $600.00 item? After all, that is usually the constant theme you get from the cheer leaders after the fact. Once you've been scammed for a high value item, you will get, "so sorry this has happened to you. You should never sell an item on ebay that you can't afford to loose".  Really think about that and then go with your gut feelings!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@sunking1 wrote:

Can you afford to loose a $600.00 item? After all, that is usually the constant theme you get from the cheer leaders after the fact.

"After the fact"? ROTFL. It would be pretty hard to respond to a seller's post before he posted it 😂 

That aside ... 

"Cheerleader"? Someone who discourages others from listing valuable items on eBay due to the risk of fraud and the lack of seller protection is now considered to be a "cheerleader"? 

OP, any buyer can steal any item from any seller at any time by filing a fraudulent dispute. That is the simple truth of eBay. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@deala0621 

When you make a sale and are paid ebay expects you to ship.  I can not tell you NOT to ship, but if it is going to any of those famous re-shipper companies in your state.....weigh the consequences. 

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You can cancel the sale......Items no longer available. And that's the truth, no longer

available because you don't want to get bent over. .....sell it on Facebook and get cash in hand.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

A lot of the posts I mentioned I read about with sellers having increased disputes were specifically buyer's claiming fraudulent disputes.  And sellers said those increased since switching over to Managed Payments with the theory that scammers know that ebay is handling those differently than paypal. ?? I really don't know. 

I did contact ebay to ask them specifically about how they handle chargebacks from buyers now that they're doing MP.  I got a very general "we'll take care of you" answer, very difficult to get specifics.

From what I understand you're suppose to be protected as long as you have tracking showing delivered, but I read of sellers who had bad experiences.

As a previous member said I could at least get signature required at delivery and additional insurance.

Do you think it's still too risky?  The buyer's 3 feedbacks were all from purchases he made when he made his account on 3/15 (all electronics sellers) and he did give one of them positive feedback as well, but I I don't know if you can really interpret that one way or the other.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

How do I tell if it's a reshipper?  I'm not familiar with that

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It isn't really clear on what determines if you get a defect or not; do you know anything more about this?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

click on the link i supplied for you

Message 12 of 12
latest reply