cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dishonest Buyer - Ebay is No Help

Recently sold a $530 item (comic book), Buyer received it and gave a great positive review of it, then later claimed it was "restored" and not worth the money. I offered to take it back, which I do not normally do, but in the interest of honesty and transparency I refunded the Buyer before I received the item. Now the buyer is silent on the matter and will not return the item. Ebay will not help because the Transaction is "closed" and there is apparently no way to talk to a person at Ebay. Frankly, this is enough of an issue to sue the Buyer or report a crime, and discontinue all relationship with Ebay. They do not support the Seller and offer no way to speak with a human. I'm done. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Dishonest Buyer - Ebay is No Help

Unfortunately, these threads of refunding before returning the item, are an old, old, story on these boards.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

In this case there is a printed communication thread and documents showing the shipment and receipt of the product, payment details, refund details ..... the criminal would have no leg to stand on. Also has a rather extensive Seller history on Ebay, which besets them with some vulnerabilities. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@comic_box wrote:

In this case there is a printed communication thread and documents showing the shipment and receipt of the product, payment details, refund details ..... the criminal would have no leg to stand on. Also has a rather extensive Seller history on Ebay, which besets them with some vulnerabilities. 

I hear ya' and it's sad state of affairs, should be sending the comic book back.  Fact paid, received etc. is irrelevant as the claim is "Not as Described" instead of "Not received."  eBay has policies to follow albeit nothing perfect which is certainly nothing new when it comes to Internet or even before then mail order.

Small claims court does not deal in "What was done to others" nor would they subpoena a buyers records as a "seller as well" based on hearsay.  Now if you have evidence of said seller doing this over and over that's something that's criminal yet eBay itself does track seller/buyer activities as noted by numerous sellers here that have had accounts suspended based on problems in their metrics and this stands true of buyers as well.

These "environmental" problems have existed since online transacting began and before that in mail order.  You'll see many a posting in these forums where the advice of experienced sellers rings true which is basically, "If you cant afford loose it then don't sell it online" be that here, Etsy, Amazon, shipping it someplace via Facebook or even in person transacting with Venmo or anything other than cash.

There are things websites could do to help with seller/buyer safety but as with any change to anything other issues also come to bare with change.  Unfortunately folks that take advantage of other folks is rampant all over the Internet and off it and these are the conundrums that continue to build and grow and why Government(s) perhaps soon or perhaps years down the trail will likely regulate all of it.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Yes,  I have 2 seller accounts, one with 10281 feedbacks.  I have sent out an item or two w/o the payment back in the days of checks and money orders.  One guy sent a cash payment and included 5 dollars to buy 2 boxes of Cheerios for the children.  A few times, I refunded the wrong buyer.  A few got away with a free item.  The majority did send the payment but it was always less. I figured that knocking off a few bucks would get them to pay.   Anyway, by making mistakes that is how you learn to avoid those mistakes.   

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Unfortunately, that word may become a proper English word someday.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

What were you thinking, giving the buyer money back for nothing?  Refunds are given after you receive the item back. Having given them their money, you left no incentive for the buyer to return it. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

The buyer also happens to be a prolific Seller on Ebay, with a reputation to maintain. 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@comic_box wrote:

I refunded the Buyer before I received the item. Now the buyer is silent on the matter. Frankly, this is enough of an issue to sue the Buyer or report a crime. 

Correct. You where robbed and need to file with the appropriate authorities. Ebay cannot help you as you gave someone $$ and Ebay had nothing to do with it.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

You could at least buy one of their items to leave the negative feedback they deserve for stealing. I would say you could do it back to them but that is too risky if you value your account.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply