cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disgusted as a Seller

As a seller here based in Virginia , USA I am appalled that EBAY lets the sellers from China claim they are in the US on where items ship from. The only way to know they are in China is to check the FB that says member is in China. I made a purchase where the seller states items are from NY , but shipping is out of Los Angeles, CA.  The seller now has over 20 negs on FB and it looks like the item I purchased will never get here. Lesson learned , but the item in question was 150 yards or elastic so we can make our own masks as there is no elastic to be found in any stores locally. EBAY needs to stop this coddling of sellers from China.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Disgusted as a Seller

...eBay can't ban the sellers from China because of...$$$$$$...period...!!!

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

It is technically against eBay policy, but they don't care. China sellers run by their own set of rules. I could supply examples if it weren't for certain rules.
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

Ever since Wenig decided that "China is the future of eBay" with a China office and warehousing here, its just gotten worse.  I used to do business with people in Beijing before eBay even got into the whole China thing, and have several Chinese sellers that I'm pleased to do business with, so I have no problems with trade with China, but he was basically turning eBay into "China West" with two sets of rules and direct competition with eBay's US and other international sellers (including knocking off our vintage products...duh...Devin, the whole POINT is vintage, NOT a cheap China knockoff).  That horse is out of the barn, OK, but there needs to be the same rules for everyone.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

Hi @no-plain-white-envelopes  There are some sellers who deliberately falsify the location of their goods to entice more buyers. But there are also Chinese sellers who have warehouses here in the States and can legitimately claim a domestic location. In fact, former CEO Devin Wenig openly discussed this with the media in the not-so-distant past, explaining how eBay assisted their Chinese sellers in finding stateside locations for their wares.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

Thanks everyone , I really just needed to vent as there is none of this product here in the US and only the China sellers have it. I have a feeling we will not get what we ordered and I will be filing a claim and leaving a Red Doughnut.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Ever since Wenig decided that "China is the future of eBay" with a China office and warehousing here, its just gotten worse.  I used to do business with people in Beijing before eBay even got into the whole China thing, and have several Chinese sellers that I'm pleased to do business with, so I have no problems with trade with China, but he was basically turning eBay into "China West" with two sets of rules and direct competition with eBay's US and other international sellers (including knocking off our vintage products...duh...Devin, the whole POINT is vintage, NOT a cheap China knockoff).  That horse is out of the barn, OK, but there needs to be the same rules for everyone.

I find it amusing some of the Youtubers I follow refer to eBay as the trash dump of China. Granted that is more referring to the dangerous electronics items you can buy on eBay from China. The knockoffs would bother me less if they weren't total trash. I used to collect knock off junk Chinese laptop power supplies.  You would be amazed on how many of them were on the brink of burning down a house.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

@no-plain-white-envelopes wrote:

As a seller here based in Virginia , USA I am appalled that EBAY lets the sellers from China claim they are in the US on where items ship from. The only way to know they are in China is to check the FB that says member is in China. I made a purchase where the seller states items are from NY , but shipping is out of Los Angeles, CA.  The seller now has over 20 negs on FB and it looks like the item I purchased will never get here. Lesson learned , but the item in question was 150 yards or elastic so we can make our own masks as there is no elastic to be found in any stores locally. EBAY needs to stop this coddling of sellers from China.

Buying stuff from China to protect us against a virus that came from China ? 

I hope Trump cuts off all trade with these people.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

@bbravo65 wrote:

...eBay can't won't ban the sellers from China because of...$$$$$$...period...!!!

Fixed that for 'ya

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

@southern*sweet*tea...thank you...that sounds better...thanks again...

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

I've never had any problems that I didn't have with American sellers. In fact the problems are predominantly with Domestic sellers.

Our demand and expectations on prices is what sends our manufacturing overseas. You think an Iphone is expensive, you don't want to know what it will cost after procurement and labor in the US. Things just don't work that way.

Ebay isn't indicative of the leaps and bounds China has made, manufacturing in particular. Even more majority of Chinese companies have plants based in the US believe it or not. If you have a scope on upper tier manufacturing you won't be surprised at the quality of their product. I'm not talking about your typical eBay ware either. Their quality and efficiency is fiercely competitive at the top tier in many arenas. That archaic "made in China" slight is perpetuated by the uninformed and demagogues of yesteryear.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

Conan O'Brien used to do a segment on his show entitled "Why China is kicking our ___"

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

@chapeau-noir wrote:

The contract that Ebay has with China is completely different than the UA that we have to deal with.  We are all going to be forced into Managed payments in the not to distant future.  This product ONLY works with Seller Hub so everybody in the US will be forced to use this program, but China still has their own set up and will not have to deal with Ebay controlling their money like we will. 

In fact an article i read some time ago (cannot remember where) stated that the Chinese do not even allow Ebay to track IP addresses so even if they restrict a seller in China from selling, all they have to do is open a new account and start up again with no ramifications at all.  Wenig always took care of the Chinese sellers and did all he could to help them stay in the US market, even helping them find warehouses for their products here in the US. Very few took advantage of that because the E-Packet was just so cheap they could continue to sell things for $0.99 with free shipping on many of their products while we continue to have rising shipping costs via USPS to help cover the the losses on all of their products.  Just another reason that Ebay continued to claim China was their future.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

I am going through something like this right now. The seller posted item from the USA, I specifically asked if the item was coming from the USA and the seller said yes, so I bid. If they would have said China, I would not have bid, just on the mere fact it takes to long to get something and hard to make a claim. I have both good and bad experiences with overseas shipping. I prefer not to buy from overseas sellers because of this issue. 

When I looked at the tracking because it is taking way longer than eBay's expected date of arrival. It shows that it came from overseas. I messaged the seller and asked why they weren't honest about where the item was coming from and no answer of course. 

I am totally upset that the seller didn't tell me the truth. What happen to people's integrity these day? 

I agree that eBay should not allow this, but, these sellers register a USA account using an USA address from a family member that does live in the USA or they live in the USA and are running their business out of China. So when this happens eBay can't always detect this issue. 

We should be able to report this when it does happen, so that eBay can address.  Unfortunately, it isn't an option now. 

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Disgusted as a Seller

Don't wait to long. My experience is if you message the seller they will try to string you along to get the sale past the thirty days, so you can't make a claim. 

Making the claim will at least insure some protection. 

I did this and of course the seller is stringing me a long. I gave them 22 days and filed a claim. We are answering back and forth, until I can ask eBay to step in. 

Good luck!

Message 15 of 28
latest reply