cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cubic shipping finally coming to eBay??

I noticed today my option for regional rate shipping is gone.  Turns out the USPS is discontinuing that service on 1/22/23.  As a workaround I have been using stamps.com as they still give the option, but sometimes the cubic rate is actually a little cheaper.  I contacted eBay customer support and they said they will be offering cubic shipping as an alternative to regional rate since that option will no longer be available.  I was told it would be working by 1/22 and there will be an email communication sent to all users of the site.

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: Cubic shipping finally coming to eBay??

There is no reason to want or order the A2 box which is 11.0625 x 2.5 x 13.0625 and .209 cubit. The 1097 box which has been available forever  is 11.625 OD x 2.5 x 14.4375 and .225 cubit, almost a match. Either one would have to be cut down to get below .200 cubic. The A1 box does not have a match as close as this. The closest is the #4 is 7.25 x 7.25 x 6.5 or .197 cubit so you don't have to cut it down.

I have used the free eBay stamps.com program for several years now and today I was shipping 1½ lbs from MASS to NY and was considering using the Flat Rate Padded Envelope which would have cost me $8.30. But, since it was close I checked using the #4 box and it 1st came up as $8.05, a better deal. But then putting the dimensions in (which are printed on the box), the price dropped to $7.39, which is the new cubic pricing. So it seems like just about everybody except eBay is offering cubic pricing. This $7.39 beats the best RR pricing I have ever received. So right now I have no regrets that the RR boxes were discontinued.

Message 91 of 98
latest reply

@postid wrote:

There is no reason to want or order the A2 box which is 11.0625 x 2.5 x 13.0625 and .209 cubit. The 1097 box which has been available forever  is 11.625 OD x 2.5 x 14.4375 and .225 cubit, almost a match. Either one would have to be cut down to get below .200 cubic. The A1 box does not have a match as close as this. The closest is the #4 is 7.25 x 7.25 x 6.5 or .197 cubit so you don't have to cut it down....

Thank you for providing all those math insights.  Looks like sellers should be stocking up on BOX04 rather than rushing to get the last of the Regional A's, which have to be cut down to qualify for .2 cu ft.

Message 92 of 98
latest reply

@postid wrote:

... But then putting the dimensions in (which are printed on the box), the price dropped to $7.39, which is the new cubic pricing. So it seems like just about everybody except eBay is offering cubic pricing. This $7.39 beats the best RR pricing I have ever received. So right now I have no regrets that the RR boxes were discontinued.

How precise do the measurements of the boxes need to be for cubic pricing?  Are interior dimensions printed on the boxes okay in general?  I've seen people talk about measurements need to be cut down by 1/4" on some boxes (which I find really hard to do) in order to improve the cost.

Message 93 of 98
latest reply

From the DMM:

Cubic prices are not based on weight, but are charged based on zone and the mailpiece’s cubic measurement, with any fraction of a measurement rounded down to the nearest 1/4 inch. For example, a dimension of a piece measuring 12-3/8 inches is rounded down to 12-1/4 inches.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/223.htm#ep1403990

In other words, most USPS rates only look at measurements in full inches, but for Cubic rates, a mere 1/4 inch matters.  Interior dimensions would not be OK; USPS is using exterior dimensions.

Before struggling to pare a box down by a fraction of an inch, it might be worthwhile to see how much that would save, e.g, compare the price for .3 cu ft vs for .2 cu ft before struggling to get your box down into the .2 range.

Message 94 of 98
latest reply

Okay, thanks.  I'm starting to get it finally.  I just looked at one of the #4 boxes and didn't realize the dimensions mentioned by the other poster were actually the outside dimensions.  I thought only the interior dims were printed on the boxes.  Do we enter fractions?   I need to get with the program.

Message 95 of 98
latest reply

Cubic rates really are now finally coming to eBay!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/2024-USPS-Rate-Changes/ba-p/34236252

Great news! Cubic services are now available for USPS Ground Advantage and Priority Mail effective January 21, 2024.

Message 96 of 98
latest reply

Holy mackeral! For once , there really is "good news, sellers"  In fact, as ebay says, it is "great news"

(Of course, how useful this will be depends a lot on what you sell, but I for one am quite happy to see this, as I do find using ebay labels to be convenient and finally having this option will mean I'll be listing some stuff I've held off listing)

Message 97 of 98
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 98 of 98
latest reply