cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counter Offers Not Working?

I've sent multiple counter offers over the last week to buyers (20+) and not a single one has been acted on (accepted, declined or re-countered).  They have all come back expired.  I'm beginning to think that these are not reaching the buyer.  Reached out to several buyers to confirm whether or not they got the counter offer but have yet to hear back.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

This seems to have started over the last 2 weeks or so as I generally have not had any issues.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Counter Offers Not Working?

No problems here.

My buyers offer and counteroffer back just fine

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ignoring an offer is not against the rules.  Are you making offers on items that do not have best offer added?  Many sellers do not respond in that scenario.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Agree ignoring offers is not completely off the table, however, with the amount I am seeing, it’s just odd.  I accept offers on all my items.  These are counters I am sending to the original offer from the buyer.

In one case, the user let the offer expire and then the next day sent another offer for the amount I countered with.  Again, it’s possible they are being ignored, just weird that every single one is being ignored.  I sell a lot of items.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Most times where I send a counter offer I never hear back, they just expire.  I think most "buyers" sending low offers are just fishing for a deal.  If you counter them, they move on and have no intentions of meeting in the middle or paying a fair/reasonable price.  I typically just decline lowball offers instead of countering them.  I've learned that the ones that lowball then accept a counter offer tend to be the ones that end up being a problem later on.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I had the same thing. Countered, then expired, then offer again for a higher price than my counter even. Odd, I agree. I would say my counter conversion rate is rather low anyway; most likely less than 10%. Never calculated this metric. I have some items listed that I simply want gone as I am not going to keep listing (i.e., shoes). My offers on these are at least a 25% reduction. still nothing. I have even provided 40% to no avail.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Totally agree on this.  If I am ridiculously lowballed, I decline and then even block sometimes.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT WE GET A MESSAGE SAYING WE CANT MAKE COUNTER OFFER ON OUR OWN ITEM , AMONGST THE OTHER DOZEN PROBLEMS THE NEW PROGRAMS HAVE CAUSED 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Most times where I send a counter offer I never hear back, they just expire.  I think most "buyers" sending low offers are just fishing for a deal.  If you counter them, they move on and have no intentions of meeting in the middle or paying a fair/reasonable price.  I typically just decline lowball offers instead of countering them.  I've learned that the ones that lowball then accept a counter offer tend to be the ones that end up being a problem later on.

Yes, yes and yes. 

I respond to reasonable offers.  MOST of the time it's to accept.  

I'm running three stores one of them a start-up  (last November).

I sell cheap stuff ... most under $15.  I can't spend a lot of time on each sale. So, if someone offers me $12 I accept.   If someone offers $10 I counter with $12.  If someone offers $7 ... I yawn and ignore it till it goes away.  

Someone who starts out with pinching every last nickle isn't someone I want to do business with.  If one or two bucks is going to keep them away ... oh well.  They take a lot of time, they ruin your reputation, they see to it that you don't make any profit, and ... they're a customer I would wish on my competition.  At the first indication ... I drop em.  And ban them. 

That's just me. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

No, they do go out to the people you send them to.

Some are sellers watching the same item they have, to see what price range things may sell for.

Some are folks who are window shopping.

Some are buyers who want a deep, deep discount deal.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Agree 100%...

Message 11 of 11
latest reply