cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

i have spent the better part of today telling potential buyers how to find the descriptions.

Ebay needs to make it MORE CLEAR to people where the description is.

Some of these buyere are downright insulting:

"Don't you even know how to sell something?"

I am reallt getting tired of all this and am tempted to pull all my lisitngs for awhile. Is that what Ebay wants?

Message 886 of 1,018
latest reply

I was just ready to start listing again after a long hiatus,  I thought this was just my computer with a virus.  I am not going to start listing anything unless this improves.  Very depressing.

Message 887 of 1,018
latest reply

This just a case of an Ebay new hire trying stupid things to get noticed by their boss

Message 888 of 1,018
latest reply

Probably a case of Ebay not wanting to upgrade server's or buy new ones in order to make up for all the business they have lost because of defects and catering to their new buddies in China. Do sellers in Calif. realize they are loosing buyers because people are getting worried that the items they buy from there are actually coming from China? How about all the fake stuff also coming from there? I usually look elsewhere when I want something. How is ebay letting them get away with it? Out of site out of mind???? Just my thoughts.

Message 889 of 1,018
latest reply

Many Chinese millionare investors who used to buy antique Chinese art, jade, sculptures, etc. quit buying them and now buying real estate in California and NYC mostly. They figure you can't fake real estate, so they switched to buying in the US and now probably own 1/2 the country's properties.

They quit buying antiques many years ago since there are so many almost perfect fakes that it's almost impossible to tell the real art from the fakes. Many multi-million dollar art pieces turned out to be fake after examining it with electron microscope and carbon 14 dating.

I also heard that the Chinese government either participates or looks the other way when fakes are produced to allow trillions of dollars to enter China.

Message 890 of 1,018
latest reply

HATE IT! I go to a whole lot of trouble creating html and css for my listing descriptions. Now - you have to scroll down a danged javascript overlay to see my item description. PLEASE put the item description back like it was. This is really a horrible feature!

Message 891 of 1,018
latest reply

As of today (Thursday 3/5) happening for me using Firefox on my laptop. I'm strictly a buyer nowadays and found it extremely annoying!! Hope eBay reads my answer to their little survey question.

Message 892 of 1,018
latest reply

Just wanted to drop in and THANK ebay for removing the VIEW FULL ITEM DESCRIPTION button! YEY! Thank goodness that was short lived. Called last night and reached a very helpful customer service lady - wish I could remember her name. She assured me this was just a test. Thanks again ebay!

Message 893 of 1,018
latest reply

Ebay is trying to get people to do away with the HTML embedding in the listings since the use of purchasing items from mobile devices is growing and the html images don't show up easily on the mobile site and app without clicking on a few things(just read it in a recent ebay newsletter email) They want all your pictures to be uploaded to ebays site. I have used html in my ebay listings since 1997. I think there is a way to find a happy medium where both HTML and ebays system can coexist. But I am not holding out hope for ebay doing that.

Message 894 of 1,018
latest reply

Maybe eBay should hire some decent programmers instead of doing $Billion Dollar Stock Buybacks? 😛

Message 895 of 1,018
latest reply

Click on the "tell us what you think" link and fill out the form telling them it's a really bad idea and you'll be shopping elsewhere.

This is what I'm doing on every item listing where this is appearing.

Message 896 of 1,018
latest reply

"Ebay is trying to get people to do away with the HTML embedding in the listings since the use of purchasing items from mobile devices is growing and the html images don't show up easily on the mobile site and app without clicking on a few things(just read it in a recent ebay newsletter email) "

If that's all they want, they could let us know (and use a popup on the listing forms for a while until word gets around).

There's no need to change the entire user experience if they want sellers to reduce (or eliminate) HTML.

That's like moving the main entrance to a mall and adding an extra corridor instead of asking store owners to adjust their signs.

Message 897 of 1,018
latest reply

Going to repost my long winded rant about the useless feature.

I also don't like it and I would sign in my own blood to opt out of this forever.  I am always looking at description so why does eBay thinks it's a good idea to hide and make me click every *single* time I look at a listing?  Not only that but the design does not account for tiny description which makes up about 90% of the listing I look at. For example I was looking at one listing. It had "This is the cd docking station for the Turbografx 16 CD unit. I've tested it and it works. Comes witb composite cables. No power adapter." showing in the description with show more button. When I  clicked on it, surprise it shows the exact SAME thing with no additional wording.

It also shows the same useless button on the few listing that has nothing at all. It's like eBay's hiding empty space with button that is poorly designed to make me waste time checking if eBay is hiding something or if it's lazy seller with no description.

They could have at least coded it to not show the button if the description contains very few words or is completely empty.  And not everyone is using the ultra wide 2560xwhatever monitor. My laptop tops out at 1280x900 and I have to force the browser window to move around to find the close button that is hidden oh about 4 or 5 inches past the physical edge of my monitor.  Woe to anyone still using acient 1024x768 14" display or a cheap tablet.  The alternative to hard-to-reach close button is to close the entire listing page and look elsewhere, which may mean reduced sale for various sellers, and reduced FVF that eBay gets to collect.

I have been using feedback to complain at every single chance (which is all the time) when I encounter show button that does not show anything new or out-of-reach close button that doesn't work on more common sized monitors.  I hope everyone is also reporting negative complaint in the feedback to get eBay to either reduce incidence of dumb and useless show more, reposition the lost close button, or just drop the new feature and go back to showing everything like before.  The old version worked fine for more than 15 years, no need to hide some description.

Message 898 of 1,018
latest reply

I just noticed the "Show Full Description" thing today and I am OUTRAGED.  Ebay is always "improving" things that don't need to be changed but I swear this is one of the ALL TIME WORST.   If Ebay hides descriptions, it only encourages doom for both buyers and sellers.

I don't sell much on Ebay anymore - huge sigh of relief - although I have sold hundreds of things through the years.   But I do still buy things.  I am here to show my support for all the sellers out there.  I, at least, will continue to read descriptions no matter how hard they are to find, as long as Ebay doesn't get rid of them completely (dire prediction?)  I always read descriptions anyway and the sellers out there who have to suffer through this newest of Ebay's horrendous BLUNDERS have my deepest sympathy...

Message 899 of 1,018
latest reply

(By the way, I only come to Ebay directly,  through my browser, not Google or other search engines - so it's obviously something Ebay is doing, not Google.  I'm sure the reason why some people see it and some can't is that Ebay is doing a partial experiment on SOME of us lab rats and not others)

Message 900 of 1,018
latest reply