cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@acar8174 wrote:

Are you using the app to view the listing? Did you list via the app/ebay mobile?

Edit: Works fine for me (no click to view description).

Not everyone sees this problem.  I am told that eBay is doing a trial test with some of its users.  UNFORTUNATELY I am one of the users. 

ONE GOOD THING does come by eBay removing your description from your main page...

That leaves them more room to put on YOUR PAGE competing ads from other sellers who are selling the same or similar item for a few pennies less.

Message 871 of 1,018
latest reply

I would love to be a "fly on the wall" in the conference room when they tally and discuss the results of the feedback link.

I would bet any amount it's zero positive and infinity negative.

I hope they fire the moron who thougth of this fiasco.

Message 872 of 1,018
latest reply

@best-now wrote:

I would love to be a "fly on the wall" in the conference room when they tally and discuss the results of the feedback link.

I would bet any amount it's zero positive and infinity negative.

I hope they fire the moron who thougth of this fiasco.

I'd like to have been in the conference room when they came up with this to tell the person who did what a moron they were.

Message 873 of 1,018
latest reply

Just happened to all 23 of my listings this afternoon!  I am in shock! I was never given the option to opt out and i alled and it can't be reverted back.  I was told to wait 24 hours for this 'test' to be over, we shall see tomorrow if my listing template, logo, description, returns policy, my gallery and billboards are visible.  This click the full description button is a Scammer Buyers best friend! The buyer can make "Not as Described" claim and say they NEVER saw any descriptions or return policy at all.. that button is easy to miss especially since is is new with no warning.. and also the buyer may read just the one line mini description Ebay chooses for you.. and they may impulse buy and then blame the seller..
I hate it, I want it gone..

Message 874 of 1,018
latest reply

I think everyone else has covered the reasons why this test does not improve one's experience, but instead makes it an added burden, so I won't repeat all of that even though I believe it would help to relieve some frustration If I were to go through the motions of typing it all out.

As a buyer, I have been fortunate to never have been a part of this test, until today.  I knew it might happen when I deleted eBay's cookies.  I didn't want to delete the cookies, but it had to be done because of another one of eBay's problems.

Today the Comments in the Answer Center refused to show when I clicked on them, they only gave an error on a pink background.  I tried deleting the browser cache first, hoping that would allow me to see the Comments.  No dice.  Deleting cookies did the trick, but it also tricked me into unwillingly becoming a part of this unwelcome test.

@jeff - I was going to ask you which of eBay's numerous cookies determines whether a user is opted in or out, but I discovered it myself through trial and error.  For anyone interested, it is the cookie named "nonsession".

Thank goodness now after deleting that cookie I am back to seeing listings the way everyone on a computer wants to see them, with the description being shown immediately upon opening.  Too bad I can't say the same for the less computer-savvy buyers who don't know how to get back to the way they liked it.  They won't bother to find out about this test or how to get out of it, they'll simply find another website to shop on when they get frustrated enough here.

How far do you want to push buyers into a negative experience?  Has any actual eBay buyer said they like the test experience better than the old way?   None in this thread that I've seen ...

You want to have a "consistent" user experience?  Do you really think that phone users who switch to computers cannot handle the inconsistent experience of being shown the description immediately upon opening the listing?  Those buyers will quit buying on eBay because visiting ebay.com does not provide the exact same experience as using the eBay app?

Or is the whole idea to dumb down the computer experience to the level of the eBay app, so everyone will be required to have the phone app experience.  Those who start on a computer and then migrate to a phone will not feel like they are on a lower level because they started on a level made artificially lower to ease the transition to the buggy, subpar app.  

Message 875 of 1,018
latest reply

I think the fact that eBay decided to do a "test" of this nature that in all likelihood has affected both sellers and buyers alike detrimentally is what still floors me. Is eBay required to notify their "customers" of such?........no, it is written into the weasley worded UA that they can do these things without impunity, and we all know they do. The fact that they had absolutely no dialogue or communication with their customers about such an vital aspect of one's business as a "description" not being visible as it always previously has been is just astounding to me and tells me everything I ever need to know about this company.

Message 876 of 1,018
latest reply

I was just opted in today!! On both this posting ID and on my regular ID (the one I've been buying with since 1996). I hate this! I have responded with the tell us what you think button several times.

I thought it was a horrible idea way back when, when the bid button was put at the top (it used to be UNDER the description where it should be). But this is even worse! Stupidest idea eBay has ever had, and that's saying a LOT. 😕

I hate it as a buyer and as a seller.

Message 877 of 1,018
latest reply

Here's a message I just got from a potential buyer:

"Okay thanks. I did not see the description before. You should get rid of that link in your listing that you have to click on."
(name removed)

Message 878 of 1,018
latest reply

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

"Okay thanks. I did not see the description before. You should get rid of that link in your listing that you have to click on."
(name removed)

I hope you messaged her back that you have no control over that link and that "eBay did it" without your permission.

Message 879 of 1,018
latest reply

@all*about*horses wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

(name removed)

I hope you messaged her back that you have no control over that link and that "eBay did it" without your permission.

Unfortunately by that time it's to late and the buyer has moved on. I have posted a few times in the last couple of weeks about the many less then pleased potential buyers I have received questions from about details that were clearly stated in the description........Smiley Frustrated

Message 880 of 1,018
latest reply

@cinco_swim wrote:

@all*about*horses wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

(name removed)

Unfortunately by that time it's to late and the buyer has moved on. I have posted a few times in the last couple of weeks about the many less then pleased potential buyers I have received questions from about details that were clearly stated in the description........Smiley Frustrated

Even if the buyer has moved on I think I would let them know it wasn't my doing adding that "problem".

This "test" is only going to fail if the buyers complain ... eBay doesn't care what sellers think.

Message 881 of 1,018
latest reply

@all*about*horses wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@all*about*horses wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

(name removed)

Even if the buyer has moved on I think I would let them know it wasn't my doing adding that "problem".

This "test" is only going to fail if the buyers complain ... eBay doesn't care what sellers think.

I can only hope that you are right about that ABH.....but my guess is eBay will do as eBay wants to do regardless of everyone except the stock holders and bottom line.......

Message 882 of 1,018
latest reply

This new link thing seems to be a browser issue. I just saw the problem the other day. I use Auctiva to do my eBay listings and they pointed out some twists. Viewing with IE, FireFox or Google does not show the link or issue. Listings are the same as they always were. Viewing via AOL is where I saw the problem. As a Seller, I think it's nut and want to encourage other sellers who don't like it to let eBay know.

Message 883 of 1,018
latest reply

Ok, both yesterday & today, the Descriptions seem to be back...

Hoping the "test" is over !!

So, I took my Store Listings out of "Vacation" mode just a little while ago.

Had a long phone visit with a friend this morning... she lists equal amounts of things on Amazon Bonanza, Etsy, & eBay.

Over the past few weeks, her sales on the other sites have almost tripled, & on eBay they've dropped off from 5 to 10 per week to just 1 in two weeks.

She just closed her eBay Store this week-end, & says she's not sure if she'll even bother to use the "free" Listings.

She has also had a bunch of VERY unhappy Messages from potential Buyers, complaining about the lack of any Descriptions in her eBay Listings !!

I'm counting down to when my annual Store Subscription runs out...

for darn sure won't Buy on eBay anymore when I get to the point of not Selling on eBay anymore.

Message 884 of 1,018
latest reply

My participation in that horrid test ended 3-1, I am back to normal.  I looked at things and told ebay what I thought of this horrid idea, promised not to buy anything till the test ended.  Maybe they are rotating the test.  For me I am delighted to be done with it

Message 885 of 1,018
latest reply