cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

eBay hasn't yet figured out how to take our Title and Detailed Description and put them in Little Boxes for cell phone users to read.

Hence the "item Specifics"

Just imagine how our listings will look on little WATCH SCREENS.

Message 706 of 1,018
latest reply

I tell you what, FaceBook has quite a few area online garage sale/used sale pages and they aren't doing too badly.  In fact, I've gotten rid of clothing, shoes and other items I had no success on Ebay with.  No fees.  No shipping.  No defects.  No faulty returns.  I meet them halfway, give them their item and I get paid.  Granted, Ebay is a better site for most of what I sell, but, if they keep this lamest of ideas of theirs I WILL make other things work for me.  I won't stay on a site that causes me more work than I need.  I have had questions regarding items sizes, etc. that are clearly in the listing.  I don't have time to guide buyers to "look for the See Full Description Link" in faded blue down the page.  That shouldn't be my job, unless Ebay wants to pay me to educate the buyers they've thrown into this "test".

Before this test I wasn't doing too badly.  At least I was up over last year and that's not saying much.  Since this test, I've got onely 1 item with a watcher and barely any views.  Thanks a bunch!  As is things were bad enough around here.

Cheryl
Message 707 of 1,018
latest reply

On the weekly chat, Jeff wrote "Tests are run until we get statistically significant results. Feedback is part of the calculation, but it's not the only factor in assessing the success or failure of any test. Conversion rates, defect rates, etc. are often also part of the assessment.".

Does this mean those users subjected to this test can influence the results by viewing multiple listings on a non-mobile device and not buying anything?

Message 708 of 1,018
latest reply

My 2 cents on the whole deal....

This is not unlike when ebay tested a summary description in the header that did not change when the listing was edited...

Hello, not-as-described-claims!!

I am going to move my description into the condition statement until the "test" is ended.

No one expects a consistant experience across devices.

As others have said, no one wants a consistant experience across devices when that means the lowest common denominator.

Mouthpiece Jeff can say what he will, but it doesn't take as long as they have given it to see that this click for details idea will depress sales.

When tests like this are run, ebay deprives me of revenue and I recent it.  

This is much more widespread than is needed to obtain statistically valid results.

Small sample results should have been enough, even when common sense wasn't.

Message 709 of 1,018
latest reply

(mycheaperstuff I am not responding to you. you are just the latest post on the subject)

First let me state I am against implementing this change.  Not because it is right or wrong but because many of the sellers here are not ready for this.  Although this may be a wake up call & they will be in a few months.

A year ago my sales were dismal, as I complained.  I blamed 2 things, Can't See Me & myself.  I studied Can't See Me & learned how to deal with it.  As for myself I needed to adapt to the times.  One fact I need to accept is people do buy items on their phones.  At the time my app sales were less than 10%.  I completely reworked all my listings 1 by 1.  Took me a couple months.  When I was done my sales were higher than they were the previous year.  Now this Feburary is already 20% higher than last years with over a week to go.

Now I can't help you on Can't See Me, can't give away every secret, but I can help you adapt to a simple truth I accepted.  Every day more people buy from their phones, tablets, etc.  Like it or not this is a reality.  Today it is 40% or so, by 2017 it will be closer to 60, by 2022 over 80.  That's just the way it is.  Half will be from convience, the other half because it is all they know.  Because of this you have to adapt your listings.  I did & now my sales from the app is in over 40% range & has been for quite a few months.  You have to grow with the times.

I agree this test was unfair.  Not because it was hurting your sales but because you were not ready for it.  There should have been more webinars, chats, etc, on how to adapt to mobile.  I had to learn how to do it without these out of necessity.  This test has not affected my sales at all.  I was prepared because it is what the market is demanding.  You may not like this post but I pray you take it to heart.  You have to adept every day (especially in this environment) or else you will quickly become a dinosaur faster than you can say extinction.

Message 710 of 1,018
latest reply

@us-bla-v2.0 wrote:

(mycheaperstuff I am not responding to you. you are just the latest post on the subject)

First let me state I am against implementing this change.  Not because it is right or wrong but because many of the sellers here are not ready for this.  Although this may be a wake up call & they will be in a few months.

A year ago my sales were dismal, as I complained.  I blamed 2 things, Can't See Me & myself.  I studied Can't See Me & learned how to deal with it.  As for myself I needed to adapt to the times.  One fact I need to accept is people do buy items on their phones.  At the time my app sales were less than 10%.  I completely reworked all my listings 1 by 1.  Took me a couple months.  When I was done my sales were higher than they were the previous year.  Now this Feburary is already 20% higher than last years with over a week to go.

Now I can't help you on Can't See Me, can't give away every secret, but I can help you adapt to a simple truth I accepted.  Every day more people buy from their phones, tablets, etc.  Like it or not this is a reality.  Today it is 40% or so, by 2017 it will be closer to 60, by 2022 over 80.  That's just the way it is.  Half will be from convience, the other half because it is all they know.  Because of this you have to adapt your listings.  I did & now my sales from the app is in over 40% range & has been for quite a few months.  You have to grow with the times.

I agree this test was unfair.  Not because it was hurting your sales but because you were not ready for it.  There should have been more webinars, chats, etc, on how to adapt to mobile.  I had to learn how to do it without these out of necessity.  This test has not affected my sales at all.  I was prepared because it is what the market is demanding.  You may not like this post but I pray you take it to heart.  You have to adept every day (especially in this environment) or else you will quickly become a dinosaur faster than you can say extinction.

I'm not quite sure you understand what all the angst this test has caused is all about.  Yes, I get it that more and more people are using mobile apps for online shopping, but this "test" is not about mobile devices.  This "test" is affecting the shopping experience of PC users.  Any PC user shopping on ebay expects that when they click on an item they are interested in, the listing should display what they are used to seeing on their  PC:  Pictures and a full item description.  I don't know how much of this thread you have read, but many, many buyers are very upset that they aren't seeing the description and don't understand why they have to take an extra step to view it when using their PC (if they even see this option), and I understand what they do see is an annoying pop-up which is hard to read.  Contrary to your belief, I really can't envision a future where the PC is a "dinosaur" no matter how in love people are with their mobile devices.  We also love our big screens and, yes, even the young "millineals" (sp?) will grow older some day and appreciate being able to look at the big screen PC rather than having to pull out the reading glasses to read their mobile devices.   People do eventually go home and sit in front of their PCs and shop, and we have our big screen PCs because we enjoy the big screen.  I am aware from reading in the past that I need to perhaps indent my descriptions more or shorten them a bit for easier viewing on mobile devices, but I think the PC user expects a better shopping experience.  You say it is the ebay sellers that have to adapt?  No, it is the buyers.  If ebay decides to make this permanent, do they have a plan for educating the buyers who shop using their PC?  Explain to them that in order to see a "description" they have to do some scrolling and clicking to find it?  Because it is not only the sellers who had this thrust upon them without warning, it was also the buyers.  Let's not let the buyers get lost in all of this. 

Message 711 of 1,018
latest reply

You know what is the funniest of all of this is that all these people shopping on their mobile devices probably have a 70" TV in their home!
Message 712 of 1,018
latest reply

I can tell you that when I was opted it, my pop up blocker blocked the description from coming up.  I had to disable it for Ebay.  How many buyers do you think are going to bother with that or even know how to do that?

Cheryl
Message 713 of 1,018
latest reply

@kcskorner wrote:

I can tell you that when I was opted it, my pop up blocker blocked the description from coming up.  I had to disable it for Ebay.  How many buyers do you think are going to bother with that or even know how to do that?

Unbelievable!

Message 714 of 1,018
latest reply

@kcskorner wrote:

When I was able to briefly see this disaster, it didn't block the pop-up but the next screen was horrible. It spread the description out clear across my 24" monitor in one long long sentence. It was like that next screen had no page formatting at all. Then I looked at another listing from another seller that had a template and it came up in a tiny narrow screen that I had to scroll from here to Neverland to read.

I fail to see how that could be a positive experience for any buyer !!

Message 715 of 1,018
latest reply

@kcskorner wrote:

Not sure why/how that could happen. It's not a real pop-up. It doesn't open in a new window or tab. It's an overlay which is more than annoying in itself.

I have pop-up blockers on all of my browsers and am opted into this ridiculous test. Never once have I had to disable my pop-up blocker to see the description.

Edit: Please don't take my post as any sort of defense or support for this debacle. 

Message 716 of 1,018
latest reply

@all*about*horses wrote:

@kcskorner wrote:

When I was able to briefly see this disaster, it didn't block the pop-up but the next screen was horrible. It spread the description out clear across my 24" monitor in one long long sentence. It was like that next screen had no page formatting at all. Then I looked at another listing from another seller that had a template and it came up in a tiny narrow screen that I had to scroll from here to Neverland to read.

I fail to see how that could be a positive experience for any buyer !!

Another big worry I have is that buyers will assume that this new format is totally the choice of the sellers to use?  I think I might absolutely assume that and be quite annoyed at the sellers. 

Message 717 of 1,018
latest reply

@all*about*horses wrote:
You know what is the funniest of all of this is that all these people shopping on their mobile devices probably have a 70" TV in their home!

And how many of those switch to 'classic site' and 'throw' their tiny screen to their large screen smart TV?

@holidayshopper201 wrote:

@kcskorner wrote:

Not sure why/how that could happen. It's not a real pop-up. It doesn't open in a new window or tab. It's an overlay which is more than annoying in itself.

I have pop-up blockers on all of my browsers and am opted into this ridiculous test. Never once have I had to disable my pop-up blocker to see the description.

Edit: Please don't take my post as any sort of defense or support for this debacle. 

Well, one thing I have learned is what goes on on my PC doesn't necessarily go on in a friend or relatives!  I don't know if you have the pleasure of having Windows 8 like I do, but that's a whole different story of frustration.

Message 719 of 1,018
latest reply

@marthca938 wrote:

@holidayshopper201 wrote:

@kcskorner wrote:

Well, one thing I have learned is what goes on on my PC doesn't necessarily go on in a friend or relatives!  I don't know if you have the pleasure of having Windows 8 like I do, but that's a whole different story of frustration.

This post was meant to be in response to Holidayshopper

Message 720 of 1,018
latest reply