cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@jeff wrote:

@books...forthememories wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

My main concern is the lack of a description in the earlier days of the test - may have been noticed by less than honorable buyers - who will but items to use and then claim SNAD. Hopefully, I'm not part of that situation as I've sold very little since the test was implemented. Now I know Jeff says that CS has been notified about situations that may result from the testing - but many of us know how unsuccessful we sellers have been in the past - getting CS to remove feedback, DSRs or close cases in our favor when the item "is as described". What makes this situation any different - we are still going to spend hours on the phone with CS if presented with SNAD claims and I'm sorry - I think it will be a lost cause just like normal SNAD claims where items are truely as described.

Oddly, the CS reps have never heard of Jeff.  They rely solely on their canned scripts, so don't count on them ever removing bad feedback caused by this latest "improvement."  Smiley Sad

I hear this pretty often and never quite understand the point.

It's pretty easy to find out that eBay has more than 30,000 employees (one source of many: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBay ). I work in San Jose. The majority of the CS team is in Salt Late City. Is the expectation that all 30,000+ of us, regardless of where we work, know each other? What other business, organization, group in the world has ever existed where 30,000+ people all know each other?

I would think that notion comes from the fact you are the "face" and "representative" of eBay Community where many buyers and sellers come for your guidance. When they are told by CS agent that a policy is not working as you have suggested and advised them it should, many will let the CS agent know this is what eBay/You  told them........

Message 691 of 1,018
latest reply

I am in the test, and i was bascially talked into listing this past Sunday by customer service, so thank GOD i decided to list items i would not be in so much fear of losing money on. 

This test has definitely impacted my sales, i see a total difference.  I have much less watchers.  I cannot express what a bad idea this is.  I wish i would NOT have listed anything.  This is a nightmare.

Message 692 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
jeff (fromebay) said the test would run until that date

Not exactly what I said. I said it will run until we get a statistically significant sample size, which we anticipate should be less than two weeks (which was last Thursday, if I remember correctly). I don't know when the end date for the test will be and have never posted a specific date.

Jeff, are you aware of any plans or statements that eBay is planning on that speak to this "test" or any possible complications to sellers as a result of it?  (ei; opened requests/cases) Or is it suffice to say that all that has been already said is all we should expect. Thank you.

Do you have a specific question that hasn't been answered yet? I'll be glad to answer your questions if I have the info.

Thanks. Do you happen to know if eBay decides to this adopt this "test" as the new normal, will it just roll out one day and that is how we will be made aware of it, or will they perhaps send a letter letting sellers know of the impending change.

Message 693 of 1,018
latest reply

@thepurplekattery wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

Not exactly what I said. I said it will run until we get a statistically significant sample size, which we anticipate should be less than two weeks (which was last Thursday, if I remember correctly). I don't know when the end date for the test will be and have never posted a specific date.

WELL HAVE YOU GOT YOUR SIGNIFICANT SAMPLE SIZE YET?  I am very thankful that this ridiculous test has not shown up for every buyer... If I had not been looking in the discussion groups, would not even known about it....  why would anyone want to not see the item description???? 

If you want to do something practical, then have a short description for seller to fill out that shows for everyone and a long description... otherwise forget it.  And then the window that pops up is unreadable?!?!?  Smiley Mad  I don't get why this test was done at all.

No, we haven't gotten the sample size we need yet. Our estimates (which I posted last Thursday) are that it may take up to two weeks. The test has only been live for about seven days so far. 

Message 694 of 1,018
latest reply

@cinco_swim wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

My main concern is the lack of a description in the earlier days of the test - may have been noticed by less than honorable buyers - who will but items to use and then claim SNAD. Hopefully, I'm not part of that situation as I've sold very little since the test was implemented. Now I know Jeff says that CS has been notified about situations that may result from the testing - but many of us know how unsuccessful we sellers have been in the past - getting CS to remove feedback, DSRs or close cases in our favor when the item "is as described". What makes this situation any different - we are still going to spend hours on the phone with CS if presented with SNAD claims and I'm sorry - I think it will be a lost cause just like normal SNAD claims where items are truely as described.

Oddly, the CS reps have never heard of Jeff.  They rely solely on their canned scripts, so don't count on them ever removing bad feedback caused by this latest "improvement."  Smiley Sad

It's pretty easy to find out that eBay has more than 30,000 employees (one source of many: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBay ). I work in San Jose. The majority of the CS team is in Salt Late City. Is the expectation that all 30,000+ of us, regardless of where we work, know each other? What other business, organization, group in the world has ever existed where 30,000+ people all know each other?

I would think that notion comes from the fact you are the "face" and "representative" of eBay Community where many buyers and sellers come for your guidance. When they are told by CS agent that a policy is not working as you have suggested and advised them it should, many will let the CS agent know this is what eBay/You  told them........

In nearly all of the posts I make about policy, I include links to where I was able to find that policy. Citing the actual policy may be a better tactic to use to back up your position with CS.

Message 695 of 1,018
latest reply

Wouldn't logic tell you that the reason a buyer would click on a listing would be specifically to read the description, to see more details? What other reason would or could there possibly be?

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 696 of 1,018
latest reply

@cinco_swim wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

Jeff, are you aware of any plans or statements that eBay is planning on that speak to this "test" or any possible complications to sellers as a result of it?  (ei; opened requests/cases) Or is it suffice to say that all that has been already said is all we should expect. Thank you.

Do you have a specific question that hasn't been answered yet? I'll be glad to answer your questions if I have the info.

Thanks. Do you happen to know if eBay decides to this adopt this "test" as the new normal, will it just roll out one day and that is how we will be made aware of it, or will they perhaps send a letter letting sellers know of the impending change.

I don't know. I don't think anyone does. We're waiting to see what the test shows before we decide on the next steps for this particular program.

Message 697 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

In nearly all of the posts I make about policy, I include links to where I was able to find that policy. Citing the actual policy may be a better tactic to use to back up your position with CS.

Yes, I am aware that having the policy readily available is usually one's best tactic......unfortunately many are not prepared, or many times CS agents will interpret the policy much differently then what was discussed hear with you in the community. Also, with all of the recent policy changes, there have been some instances such as the feedback revision/defect policy being changed.....but a significant lag time in the actual policy pages reflecting said change.

Thanks for the response on the other question.

Message 698 of 1,018
latest reply

Answer to my question? I would seriously like to hear what you think it could be if NOT the description??????? Thx

Message 699 of 1,018
latest reply

"The description is still part of the listing, even during this test. The same protections apply. If a buyer claims your item is not as described because of a reason that the seller documented in their listing, the seller is going to be protected. For example, if a seller's listing says that the item is used and the buyer complains the item is "not new", the seller is going to be protected."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff, this is NOT true.  I was NOT protected.  I probably sound like a broken record.  I VERY CLEARLY stated the small defect of my vintage item in the description, along with several photos, and the buyer opened a case because of the defect.  Ebay promptly decided in the buyer's favor.

Message 700 of 1,018
latest reply

I was opted INTO the test yesterday.

I only found out about this test yesterday, and only after I came to this message board.

I came to the message board because I found it REALLY weird that so many auctions that I had planned on bidding on had no descriptions.

The logical assumption was that is was ANOTHER Ebay data processing issue.

Once I found out what the real issue was, I clicked on "Tell Us What You Think" ( and voted "This is the Most Absurd Change that Ebay has Made since the Last Absurd Change".

I voted that way on EVERY auction that I looked at yesterday ...... probably about 50 of them.

Today, when I logged into Ebay, I immediately noticed that I am no longer in the test, and the full auction description is visible when the page loads.

This whole real-time messing around with seller's auctions and un-announced changes, and NOT giving buyers a heads-up about the potential impact is one MORE proof-positive example that you CAN run a multi-billion dollar corporation like a Lemonade Stand.

REPEAT: You CAN run a multi-billion dollar corporation like a Lemonade Stand !!!

Message 701 of 1,018
latest reply

Ebay has never defended a description, contrary to what Jeff said here and what you may have read. They have defended the title, Condition box &Sellers Notes and Item Specifics only, in my cases. Never the description.

Message 702 of 1,018
latest reply

Pros

1. The majority of buyers don't read the description anyway. Now the auction will be cleaner and easier to read.

2. Now when a buyer complains about not 'seeing' that the item had this flaw or had that flaw, we can blame it on ebay's latest ridiculous change du jour and have all defects removed. 

3. Great for tablets and cell phones

Cons

1. Buyers will click on the title, see a blank screen. Figure the seller forgot the description and hit the back button faster than ebay can say 'we changed it again.'

2. The extra step will frustrate buyers.

3. Some buyers literally don't understand the simple concept of clicking a down arrow and will stare at the page with mouth open wondering if they should phone a friend.

4. Not suitable for deskktops and laptops. Can anyone say Windows 8. 

5. Buyers will blame sellers for the missing information. Ebay will ALWAYS side with the buyer (as they've automatically been doing since the last major update), despite common sense or policy. Afterall, everything is the sellers fault. How dare I HIRE USPS to deliver my packages. It's MY fault the package was damaged, lost, delayed. DEFECT FOR YOU MISTER!

This company is so grossly disconnected, you really just have to laugh at this point.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 703 of 1,018
latest reply

Seems like just the most recent turn of the knife to me. All by design to rid the site of sellers not doing the volume to ward off the pitfalls outlined above. Status quo in the ebay way of doing things it seems. I'm really not surprised at all. Next you will have to maintain a certain level and all new items or you are gone. Easy writing to read. They just get bolder and more blatant with every change.

Message 704 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
How convenient there's no weakly chat this week (and yeswekow it's onlybecausegriff has jury duty etc etc and after all there'sonlyjeff &griff to host the chats these days).

Just FYI that our scheduling conflicts have been resolved, so we will be having the Weekly Chat this week as originally planned. The link to this week's chat is http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Februar...

Well that's a plus (maybe).

As you're here perhaps you can clarify if adding the 'description' to the condition box or seller's notes is against policy?

I believe this question was answered earlier in the thread, but eBay's policy is that the "Condition description" box is only for the seller to describe the item's condition. It's spelled out in the info box the seller can click on when writing their listing. It says... "Tell buyers all about the condition of your item so they know exactly what to expect. Use this field only to describe your item's condition. You'll be able to add other details (such as your return policy) in other parts of your listing."

The policy is also spelled out just above the box, where it says... "Highlight any defects, missing parts, scratches or wear and tear also described in your item description. Use this field only for your item's condition to comply with our selling practices policy."

Additional information can also be found on the Help page for "Describing the item's condition" - http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/providing_item_condition.html

So if I listed a used Lionel #6 train engine, used the condition box to say if it had any problems, wouldn't a logical person want to see the actual description to see if it's an original one or a newer one by Lionel or MTH? And if it comes with the original box, paint wear, etc, yada yada ....  when I click on a listing, I already EXPECT to see the descripton of what I am buying - what good is yet ANOTHER box to click to see what I already clicked to EXPECT to see? Especially via a poopup that covers up the other info on the page?

This "test" just takes stupidity to another level I never believed existed.

And I'd also think that if if this test is a week old, and you have 98% of buyers/sellers saying how dumb it is, what makes you think you don't have enough data? Are you tracking how many people click on the "new" description button? Are you tracking how many people click 'back' on these listings and the timeframe between either clicking 'Back' on the listing with the extra 'yet again click on this button to see what you should already be seeing' button vs. a normal listing?

As an aside, has anyone who has been forced opted into this test noticed if the big-box or chinese sellers listings show up this way?