cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Thanks for that screenshot, gracie. The "see description" box is barely noticeable, even when I know it's there. It definitely doesn't stand out. I thought it would be up by the description and shipping tabs.

Message 466 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

Thanks for that screenshot, gracie. The "see description" box is barely noticeable, even when I know it's there. It definitely doesn't stand out. I thought it would be up by the description and shipping tabs.

Technically, it is - the tab next to Shipping say Description. And thats what you SHOULD get, not a stupid link to actually SEE the description WHILE YOU ARE ALREADY IN THE DESCRIPTION TAB!

I can't imagine why the idiot who thought this up is still working there.

thank you for checking jerzee!  I checked many of your items and see the descriptions too!  🙂

Message 468 of 1,018
latest reply

thank you so much for the screenshot gracieallen!!!  I'm so frustrated right now, you don't even know!  Well, actually many of you know.  We are all getting screwed.  THIS. IS. SO. STUPID!!! 

Make it stop Ebay!  Why do I even bother creating VERY detailed descriptions, paying the fees THINKING that I'm getting what I pay for, PLUS paying the store subscription!!!  Now I know why sales are tanking and INAD's are becoming way to common for me...

Message 469 of 1,018
latest reply

Now I know why my sales did a nose dive starting yesterday on my selling account. Usually have 20-30 sales a day but only had 1 yesterday and 2 today. Had 35 on Tues, 20 Wednesday and now hardly anything!! How many buyers that are opted into this are backing out of my listings thinking I am too lazy to add a description!! This affects my sales AND MY reputation!!!!
Message 470 of 1,018
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay for 14 years and even I did not realize at first that there was a tab that needed to be clicked to See Full Item Description. I looked at two listings and assumed that the buyers were too lazy to write a description, and without any necessary details such as item measurements, I clicked back.

From a sellers standpoint, this approach will cause an increase in Significantly Not As Described claims if buyers fail to read the Full Item Description. When selling vintage or collectible items it is necessary to include details that go beyond pictures and condition, such as included accessories or compatibility.

I take great care to describe my items accurately. Furthermore, I go to great lengths to explain the use of the item, such as in the case of vintage photography equipment. When I list a vintage camera or lens I describe the background history of the item, how it functions, and its practical use today. I believe that in the end my efforts are rewarded by higher sale prices and satisfied customers. After 14 years and thousands of transactions, I have never received a negative feedback.

This new approach may work for new products, but is not practical for used, antique, vintage or collectible items, which was what eBay used to be all about.

And, I am seeing the old format on my computer with Firefox, but on my computer with IE 11, the See Full Item Description tab is there.

Message 471 of 1,018
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
NO it hasn't. I was talking about the issue with phone users seeing free shipping where it's not offered. That has NOT been fixed

You were responding to this post - https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Click-to-view-entire-descripton-What-the-heck/m-p/23622525/hig...

That post was specifically about a comment on the February 4 Weekly Chat which was about an issue that came up that morning, and was resolved that same day.

If you are talking about a separate issue, then please do not respond to a post discussing an issue that is not related to the one you are having. I can only read the question in the context of the conversation. If it is a new issue, you can simply hit the "Reply" button at the top of the page and it will start a new conversation within this thread. Thanks.

And in that post you said this - "Again, the issue from two weeks ago was a one-day issue that was identified and resolved in the same day. The issue identified in the Feb 4 Chat is not the issue being discussed here. The issue being discussed here had to do with the app" - which is what -I- was responding to.

THAT issue has still not been fixed.

I think your response to me was uncalled for, frankly.

The specific issue identified during the February 4 Chat, which was about an issue that began that morning, has been resolved. It was resolved mid-afternoon on February 4.

Message 472 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@circa1901 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

Buyers will still be able to file SNADs, but if the reason for the SNAD is an issue disclosed in the description, the feedback will be removed and the seller will not lose any standing because of it.

The operation of the listing has not changed. If a seller is using the managed promotions or sales maximizer to offer discounts, those settings will still apply. Details on how to do this are at http://pages.ebay.com/specialoffers/tutorial.html

The words I bolded give me the impression ebay has made up its mind that this "test" will stay. Otherwise I'd think you'd say "buyers would" and "the operation of the listing would not change". Will and has not sound like a done deal.

It's a test. It should last less than two weeks. My response is in the context of how the functions will operate during the test.

If you can share how you would have responded to the question that would not have led you to this impression, I'll be glad to read it so I can understand what may have led you to have this impression. Thanks.

I did that in my post ...

The words I bolded give me the impression ebay has made up its mind that this "test" will stay. Otherwise I'd think you'd say "buyers would" and "the operation of the listing would not change". Will and has not sound like a done deal.

Sorry, I don't see the difference. Again, it's a test. It should be completed in less than two weeks.

Message 473 of 1,018
latest reply

Um yeah.  This is getting to be too much, I LITERALLY just received this from a POTENTIAL buyer (aka sale = money for me AND Ebay).  It also made me literally yell at the screen, it's like icing on the cake for this COMPLETE malfunction of Ebay "testing."

And no, I don't hardly ever use all caps when talking, but this TOTALLY deserves it!  If I don't see any resolution from this thread, I will probably just cancel all my listings and store subscriptions (I have two User Id's) within the next 48 hours until this is OVER.

Message 474 of 1,018
latest reply

"Tell us what you think" is even more obscure but it does lead to a simple survey regarding the change.  Why?  So that Ebay can pronounce "We listened to you - and have decided to keep things the way they were!"  Now, for our next test, how about no fees and the savings get split between sellers and buyers?  Why not?  Ebay's House Idiot thought this one up, I'm sure his/her stupidity isn't completely exhausted yet.

Message 475 of 1,018
latest reply

When I click on the "tell us what you think" thing, this is the popup I get.  A blank page.  LOL.

Apparently they didn't want to know what I think.  This is beyond stupid.

2-14-2015 12-26-42 AM.jpg

Message 476 of 1,018
latest reply

I have spent several hours today reading all the threads on this topic. I cannot recall even ONE positive comment.

I am opted in to this test on all my IDs...changing browsers does not help.

As a seller, this is, of course, a disaster. But it's just as bad from a BUYERs point of view. I search for very specific items for resale, sometimes I will look through 100 pages at a time, and I NEED to see a description.  The extra clicking and scrolling involved in this is a monumental task. Why should a potential buyer have to work SO HARD to see something that should be right there?? I'm not doin it, it's too much work. Why even click on a listing when you are already seeing all that there is.

Guess my shopping days are over, at least until this test ends. Super bad idea.

Message 477 of 1,018
latest reply

@dltaylor42240 wrote:

I am trying to respond to Jeff.  I am a buyer only, I would never sell on ebay.  I checked some items last night, after reading this post.  I am apparently in the test using a desktop.  I buy much less on ebay these days, most of the sellers I loved and appreciated are gone now.  I hate the search that constantly gives me items not related to what I search for.  I resent the time wading thru page after page of worthless to me items.  However, this one takes the cake.  I will tell you what I think every time I look at an item that has no description.  I resent this button, I hate this idea, the  people who devised it are idiots and should be fired.  Are you people seriously trying to drive ebay into the ground?  Bottom line, I am considering buying  what I want on my watch list (before this test) and calling it a day with ebay.  To the sellers that I like and buy from, I am sincerely sorry.  I have enjoyed you

Hi. This is well put and sad.  I would love it if you would call Ebay CS and say exactly what you just stated.  They need to be inundated with complaints by buyers perhaps even more than sellers.  Ebay's techies must be a bunch of 22-year-olds who are so in love with their smart phones that they think we all want that same experience on our desk tops.  I like my desk top because, you know what?  It has a great big screen and I like my big screen and that's how I want to shop on the internet, so I can see everything.  I can't do anything on my smart phone without using my reading glasses and I absolutely don't shop on it.   When a buyer clicks on a listing when using their desk top, they're used to seeing the entire listing, description and all.  Ebay still has many loyal buyers who expect what they expect and this is going to totally turn them off, like it has you.   My PC is not my phone.  And I don't care if I have to click on "see description" on the ebay phone ap.  My desk top is not a phone and I don't expect it to be.  So give people a little credit.  We are not yet robots who need to have our PC visuals be the same as our phone ap or we can't function.  I'm sure ebay techies think this new idea is hip and modern and, hey, more consistent with the phone ap experience, so how cool is that?  But believe me, we can handle it.  Our brains can actually make the transition.  PUT MY DESCRIPTIONS BACK IN MY LISTINGS, EBAY!

Message 478 of 1,018
latest reply

That blank box is where you're supposed to type what you think

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 479 of 1,018
latest reply

the same thing was happening to me last year on my laptop.

1920s-1990s vintage + retro clothes, handmade glitter shoes, vintage hats, leather gloves, secondhand books, etc
Message 480 of 1,018
latest reply