cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Yup. Categories don't come up entirely nor scroll. A really bad bad idea. And I don't think this started tonight. I was shopping in the last weeks and came across some puzzling listings with no description, and these were expensive rings from shops. I scrolled up and down and left. Very bad idea. I'm calling to close my shop down. No sense in wasting time and money on this if it's here to stay. They have ruined their market with their fiddling. I've got other much more lucrative shops that (so far) have decided that an easily found description is a neccessity.

Message 76 of 1,018
latest reply

I just said the same thing on the fashion board.  The ladies are just discovering it now.  That board is gonna be a mess come day break!  The shnit is about to hit the fan over there.

Message 78 of 1,018
latest reply

But I am not seeing it......just looked at my fave category and everything is fine.

Message 79 of 1,018
latest reply

I have had issues before with people not reading a description that's staring them in the face, so now let's see how we can hind the description from buyers.

Just think, someone actually gets paid good money to think of bad ideas like this.

You would think someone else around the table would say, hello THIS IS A BAD IDEA!

Message 80 of 1,018
latest reply

OK, I started the day on Safari and got the abbreviated page with the button to view description. Which I think is a terrible idea.
Switched to Firefox and got the full page immediately. Same computer.
So apparently eBay is experimenting on a few browsers and not on others.
It would be nice if eBay were upfront about what they are doing and not make beta-guinea pigs out of some of us.
Offer sellers the chance to opt in to this misguided program voluntarily and see how many would take it up.
Offer buyers the chance to have their information less readily available voluntarily and see how many would take it up.

Message 81 of 1,018
latest reply

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
circa1901 says:
Kate, your photos (and items) are gorgeous!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much – I try very hard.

Message 82 of 1,018
latest reply

I'm still seeing the listings in the "normal" view but I remember seeing this format very briefly maybe a year ago.

Does the pop-up open in a new page or actually a pop-up? Reason for asking: what happens if the person viewing the listing has a pop-up blocker? Will it still open or does it get blocked?
Message 83 of 1,018
latest reply

So the feedback I've read so far on this change is almost 100% negative.  So I'm sure that eBay will roll it out nationwide withing the week.  😞

Message 84 of 1,018
latest reply

Simply it's a job security for the software engineers. Create a problem, and now they have to work overtime to fix it. 

I use Chrome, the new link shows (no description).  When I use Internet Explorer and I look at the same exact listing, full description shows without the link.

Another great idea from our beloved eBay!

Pierre Omidyar needs to come back to eBay and fix these morons! But, when he's worth $8 billion (see Wiki), why should he care? 

Message 85 of 1,018
latest reply

I AM NOT getting this new dumb idea-I'm seeing everything normally. Hopefully everyone that was used as a guinea pig in this latest experiment voices their opinion and someone listens and we hear no more of this. It is just screaming INCREASE IN SNADS for not reading description.

Kate: beautiful photos and items! 

Michelle (formerly of Milwaukee-which is no comparison to Mequon)

Message 86 of 1,018
latest reply

Listing beta tests like this usually are buyer dependent, not seller dependent. So some buyers will see all new format and some old format regardless on the seller.

There are a lot of things I don't understand about Ebay pages. Like why some of my leave feedback buttons on MyEbay say "return item". Why sometimes when I go to print a listing at eoa, some come up right away and some I have to click the link for view original listing.

Hopefully enough people will complain when they see the new version and they will decide not to roll it out.

Message 87 of 1,018
latest reply

Message 88 of 1,018
latest reply

Well seeing it is the next day, i took another look and everything is still fine here but i haven't signed out or shut my computer down, i'm afraid to, they might put me in itif i sign back in then so i'll avoid that as long as possible.

i remembered something after i got off line last night.I'm not sure if its related or not but 2 weeks ago i had a relist sold but when i took a look there was no description. the buyer saw no description either and i sent him to an earlier listing that ended to view the item before i shipped it. I know the description was there when i originally posted and we all know we can't leave the description totally blank, ebay won't accept it then. So i wonder if they tried doing something 2 weeks ago and didn't have it quite perfected? They still don't if they think we want to click another button to get to a description. i went through all my listings back then and that was the only one with a blank description screen. Not really sure what to think,  seems ebay sure doesn't like to leave anything alone that seems to be working.

Message 89 of 1,018
latest reply

Ebay tried this once many years ago and the uproar int he community changed their minds.

I think they are doing this now because they think everyone will be ordering using a mobile device...  

Ebay thinks that everyone will be using a mobile phone to order... but a mobile device is any device such as a phone, ipad, other pad, kindle, and any computer running a CHROME or SAFARI browser or the windows-8 version of IE. Also, a lot of laptops, when using cell-phone signal or wifi show up as a mobile device.  

Message 90 of 1,018
latest reply