cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas season sales up or down?

HOW ARE YOUR SALES DOING THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON? UP 👍OR DOWN👎? DO YOU AGREE THAT EBAY SHOULD DO AN ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN LIKE ETSY. (WONDERFUL COMMERCIALS! IN FACT I SHOPPED THERE FOR CHRISTMAS GIFTS!) 

Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: Christmas season sales up or down?

Best Buy and other retailers dropping DVD's is a bonus for e-commerce merchants if anything. Its just more sales for me. DVD's will not be disappearing anytime soon either, we have years to go before that ever happens.

The reality is Best Buy cannot compete with e-commerce sellers prices when it comes to products like DVD's, we dont have the overhead Best Buy does, and we can sell for a lot less. Best Buy purchases there DVD's and Blu-Rays mainly from Alliance Media, which every ebay seller also has access too.

Blu-Ray's are dying fast, and its for the simple fact there's 1000+ DVD players in the wild for every 1 Blu-Ray player.

Vinyl seeing a revival is not surprising. Music enthusiasts will always choose the rich, accurate, analog sound of a vinyl record over a digital medium like a CD. But CD's are still selling regardless.

Message 46 of 109
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

At the end of this holiday selling season, Best Buy will no longer sell DVDs and Bluray.

Toy sales are off 8% from last year and Hasbro just announced a major layoff.

Temu is eating the lunch of other low end clothing sellers.

Vinyl sales continue to out pace CD sales.

If any of these are the items you sell, you are being affected.

Electronics prices in stores are reflecting the deflation in China. Much used electronics is not worth the cost of shipping, and certainly not the even a low price, a profit and shipping.

I can buy a TV with a video port for less than a computer monitor. Same specs when used as a monitor.

I bought three pieces of artist designed jewelry on invaluable last night for less than one piece by the same artist is going for on Ebay. And the sellers on Ebay are all selling at the same price. These were made in 1984-1991 by a reasonably well known artist.

You cannot sell on Ebay any more without being conscious of the rest of the world.

My sales this month seem to be stuck at my lowest price tier. That became clear with my overnight orders.

Since I always have more that I could list, I am torn between listing the good stuff and listing the cheap stuff.

Blu Ray/DVD is of no surprise, I was shocked to see the streaming numbers in America more or less globally.  Funny, cuz' it was the Spectrum (Charter Communications) fella at the store who'd told me about it.  We were turning in our cable box, only thing watch on it really was News Nation as its unbiased, other than that I'm Reuters and the EIN Presswire for broad focus news.  Actually the fella at the service desk wasn't one that suffer from "Ah duh? Huh duh?" knew his stuff.  Of course he tried sell me on Spectrums streaming gizmo through Xumo they are now offering.  He's one told 9 in 10 Americans are actively using streaming services now and guess what?  What WAS Spectrums $49.99 a month for broadband is NOW back to "For a one year contract" (albeit I managed swing two grandfathering in prior service) and THEN hmmm...  $80 a month.  They're loosing TV subscribers to streaming like The Akagi to Dive Bombers.

It really is amazing how much free content is there, I could watch five decent movies a day everyday of the year for free and not even dent what's available and more keeps coming not to mention classic TV all seemingly advertising driven.  All the Red Box are gone, got Red Box right at home now even offering a plethora free movies subscriber or not.

That Hasbro info is interesting... Wonder how other Toy Manufacturers holding up this season.

Temu no surprise.  Back July 4th weekend went to my ladys brothers for cookout, was a Sunday and there's a package on the step.  Never heard the delivery place ever, was clothes from Temu.  His wife was wearing clothes from Temu, beautiful and not cheesy at all for like $8!  I've ordered three times there, no issues at all.  Bought some wood screws which suited the tasks SO MUCH cheaper than anyplace else.  Bought this Chainsaw manual sharpening tool, $8, same thing here cheapest at the time was near $20, I'm sure they didn't buy em' there are try here right?  OMG.  I did buy a wood chisel set that shall we say is rather the "Chisel" but it works, making some big Tiki guys at camp go w/ the Tiki Bar I made.

I know a guy does Vinyl...  I gave him maybe 300 albums, he's friend at camp and a collector to.  That resurgence of vinyl is AMAZING.  I've some turntables here from back in the day that I need clean up.  One has a cartridge on it $450 here pre-owned, the other $350 pre-owned.  One Turntable, meh goes about $150.  The other a Pioneer that wasn't manufactured by Pioneer I was SHOCKED.  Parts units are listed at $600 thereabouts when I looked.

Monitor, yep, I use a Vizio 120 HZ TV.  It's lovely and BIG!  

Message 47 of 109
latest reply

Most of the people I would be buying for are collectors and/or vintage enthusiasts so yes, I often buy used/pre owned as gifts.

Message 48 of 109
latest reply

Up 53% on one

Up 74% on another

Message 49 of 109
latest reply

We do not know a single person who buys preowned or used items for Xmas gifts

@dnasilver  I bought a preowned gift this year but it was a special circumstance.   I had a TV Lamp from the 1950's and when I was downsizing a few years ago, I gave it to a friend thinking my daughter would never want something like that.  I wasn't reselling at that time or I would have probably sold it.  Ever since I gave it away, she keeps bringing it up that she wished I had given to her.  Thanks to eBay, I found the exact same one this year and it will be one of her Christmas gifts. 

Message 50 of 109
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Best Buy and other retailers dropping DVD's is a bonus for e-commerce merchants if anything. Its just more sales for me. DVD's will not be disappearing anytime soon either, we have years to go before that ever happens.

The reality is Best Buy cannot compete with e-commerce sellers prices when it comes to products like DVD's, we dont have the overhead Best Buy does, and we can sell for a lot less. Best Buy purchases there DVD's and Blu-Rays mainly from Alliance Media, which every ebay seller also has access too.

Blu-Ray's are dying fast, and its for the simple fact there's 1000+ DVD players in the wild for every 1 Blu-Ray player.

Vinyl seeing a revival is not surprising. Music enthusiasts will always choose the rich, accurate, analog sound of a vinyl record over a digital medium like a CD. But CD's are still selling regardless.

No....  Best Buy consigns EVERYTHING with Price Protection under Net terms.  The only assets Best Buy has are point of sale equipment, store fixtures etc.  Product is all consign.  They risk nothing on product except retail floor space which is where the value is and what they measure.  Same with Walmart, Target, Macy's etc which is but one of the reasons why online sellers having big problems competing against said entities online retail.  They risk nothing, the online seller is buying product, not consigning.

When floor performance falls due to lack of sales/interest that floor space need be taken by something else they consign.  Unsold product they turn back from Price Protection, so what they paid to buy whatever, DVD's or Klipsch Speakers they get that money back in credit from the distributorship(s) for other products.  If it were not for consignment models America would have bankrupt before we even hit the last Century.

So its not due at all to unable to compete against online sellers, its the sales of the stuff have tanked and not worth the floor real-estate devoted to it.  PC Games suffered the same fate.

Now overhead costs are write offs.  Just as when my former partners had the game store rent was write off, electric write off, snow plowing write off.  We've folks here think "Free Shipping" is never "Free Shipping" completely wrong.  Macys or Walmart free shipping is free shipping, they dont add cost to the product as its write off.

Certainly lots of folks still with DVD Players many of which dont have internet, dont need it, dont want it or simply cant afford it.  Why States in the nation are doing what they can to provide it freely to those who cant.  Thank Elon Musk, Starlink is all about bringing Internet global along with some other entities.

Message 51 of 109
latest reply

I also bought a used gift on here for my sister. She is packing to move to a new home mid January and was looking at all the VHS movies they had recorded with their camcorder. She was so sad she cannot view them, as many were with her son when he was small. He has since been lost due to suicide.

I thought she would appreciate it and VHS players are hard to find retail.

Message 52 of 109
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

The production of new DVDs will be affected, and that will hurt many of the online sellers who might think they are going to benefit.

There might be a price bump as there were after LaserDisks were discontinued, but it is impossible to predict how much or for how long.

Best Buy had one of the highest amounts of space devoted to the obsolete medium in B&M retail. Others had already cut back.

The number of CDs and DVDs which can be purchased for under 25 cents is enormous, and most of them never sell at that price.

It was intended to be a mass market product, and there is no longer a mass market for them.

Message 53 of 109
latest reply

Have the tapes transferred to another format.

transfer vhs vtapes in Photo & Video for sale | eBay

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 54 of 109
latest reply

We are doing better this year , EXCEPT for the impact of USPS not scanning packages unless you stand in line for 40+ minutes. Carriers are not reliable for pick-up and although our PO has a Parcel Drop location, they have stopped scanning packages before they are transferred to a distribution hub. This stopped without warning within the last couple of weeks. It was hit or miss, now nothing is scanned. So the first scan for receipt can take several days. At this point we have started to stand in line for scanning as no other choice to proved our shipping timelines are met.   This will impact our sales as not able to list as timely for new listings at prime selling season.  

Message 55 of 109
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

The production of new DVDs will be affected, and that will hurt many of the online sellers who might think they are going to benefit.

There might be a price bump as there were after LaserDisks were discontinued, but it is impossible to predict how much or for how long.

Best Buy had one of the highest amounts of space devoted to the obsolete medium in B&M retail. Others had already cut back.

The number of CDs and DVDs which can be purchased for under 25 cents is enormous, and most of them never sell at that price.

It was intended to be a mass market product, and there is no longer a mass market for them.

I didn't realize Best Buy was even dropping online DVD's/Blu-Rays. Apparently they are or were the #1 seller of them more so than Amazon or Walmart.  That's astonishing.  @Gamer said they buy from Alliance, I'd bet it Ingram Entertainment and/or Navarre, likely Ingram that's where most big retail get's media items be they video games, on and on...  Once upon a time called "Ingram Micro" until the "Micro" (computer) went kaput as mass market.

Now the video gaming market of retro stuff is getting smashed too.  Can buy a pre-built PC or a cheapie mini SFFF profile Core i7 machine and via emulators and easy peasy front end install and UI play till one's hearts content rippin' the stuff off for free via online ISO's.  There's still the collectors market but the casual, "OHhI want just play some old Sonic, Mario, Zelda etc) games pfft.  That'll be dead soon enough.  It's like why have 20 consoles sitting around and a heap of media when here's a box the size of a sandwich plate that does it all.  $100 in can play until one falls over and never play the same thing twice.

Message 56 of 109
latest reply

Now overhead costs are write offs. ... free shipping is free shipping, they dont add cost to the product as its write off.

I hadn't thought of that.

I suspect that, just as many sellers here have never worked retail, whether floor or management, and don't understand how it works, many of those who are terrified of Free Shipping have a strong overlap with those who think they don't have to pay income tax on their online sales, or who that the income is tax-free until it reaches $600 .

Message 57 of 109
latest reply

Sales down almost 50% compared to last year, EBAY fees up to 36% avg total sale.

Message 58 of 109
latest reply

It's a draw. No matter how much I list, it is around the same amount in sales every month.

Message 59 of 109
latest reply

But at least a Blu Ray player can also play dvds, while a dvd player can't play BluRays.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 60 of 109
latest reply