cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China Can Sell For Less With Free Shipping... Unfair!

I think its unfair that China sellers can ship for FREE to the USA. How are the USA sellers suppose to compete with China for like items? How did they get to be able to ship for FREE?

About 3 years ago & before that,  I was doing very well on ebay. Now each year since I am selling less and less. I am not saying its all China, however, its unfair that they can ship for free to the USA. And then the questions is "WHY" can they get this free service? Why would our USPS allow that when they are hurting for money now.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: China Can Sell For Less With Free Shipping... Unfair!

@kavi1030 wrote:

I think its unfair that China sellers can ship for FREE to the USA. How are the USA sellers suppose to compete with China for like items? How did they get to be able to ship for FREE?

About 3 years ago & before that,  I was doing very well on ebay. Now each year since I am selling less and less. I am not saying its all China, however, its unfair that they can ship for free to the USA. And then the questions is "WHY" can they get this free service? Why would our USPS allow that when they are hurting for money now.

Don't sell like items.

That is why a lot of us sell things they cannot get or manufacture.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

@kavi1030

China's shipping cost is subsidized by China, not USPS.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

How can you compete?

As has been said, don't sell what they sell.  But beyond that, there is much dissatisfaction with Chinese sellers.  While not every purchase from China may be fraught with issues, some are, and if you read the Boards, there are many threads from buyers detailing their bad experiences, such as getting defective merchandise, not receiving items, being strung along past the deadline to open a case, agreeing to a replacement and not getting one or getting another defective product, and buyers do not like these experiences.  They may then be reluctant to buy from, or stop buying from, Chinese sellers.  They may decide they just don't want to take the chance again.

There is buyer protection, the MBG and the INR, but the buyer may not want their money tied up or want to open a case.

I understand your frustration.  Some buyers find it hard to resist the low priced, free shipping item that seems to good to be true.  They may change their minds when they get defective merchandise and have to open a case, or deal with the seller who may say they will give them some of their money if they send the item back (with buyer paying shipping, of course) before they open the case.

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Most of the stuff that comes from China with free shipping is garbage. It's of such low quality that it's often not worth the value of its components as scrap.

Unfortunately most shoppers in the USA are either happy with that level of quality, or they don't know they're buying trash. Look at Walmart and the people who buy stuff there.

If you're sitting on a stockpile of trash and you can market it as effectively as the Asian dropshippers can, then go for it. If not, your only real option is to try to market to people who know better than to buy trash. There's a lot less of them but they're out there.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

is it against ebay rules for sellers to make a suggestion on their listings to buyers to "check sellers feedback before buying"?

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

@takikawa4 wrote:

@kavi1030

China's shipping cost is subsidized by China, not USPS.

No, China's shipping cost is subsidized by Americans using the USPS through high postage rates.  Americans pay more than twice what the Chinese pay to ship a 3 oz. parcel to the next town over.

I do believe the Chinese government may be subsidizing what little the Chinese are required to pay to ship to the U.S., resulting in "Free".

See post #17 &  #21 here:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Shipping-Returns/Why-is-China-to-US-shipping-cost-so-much-cheap...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@ted_200

I'd rather read something that contains the TRUTH and not someone else's assumptions. China DOES subsidize postage; the U.S. treats them as packages with delivery confirmation.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

and now they have shops in California, so they say US seller but it's really a Chinese outpost, nobody cares about the hard working true American sellers anymore... this is why so many are on food stamps

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

It might interest you too know that the USPS DOES subsidize Chinese shipping. According to the National Review:
"the USPS actually charges China Post less to deliver a package from China into the U.S. than it charges a U.S. business or customer to deliver a similar size package within the 48 states. The post office is losing money on every package it delivers from China — costs it has to pass on to its own American customers, not to mention U.S. taxpayers."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/439532/us-postal-service-subsidizes-china-other-countries-it-s...
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Again, I prefer to get  my information from the source.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

China Post, USPS, ebay and probably others are all in bed with this. It's business and it's MONEY.

It's been said over and over: Let them sell their garbage to the gullible. YOU sell better stuff to savvier buyers.

Good luck~

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

@oaklandmaryland wrote:
It might interest you too know that the USPS DOES subsidize Chinese shipping. According to the National Review:
"the USPS actually charges China Post less to deliver a package from China into the U.S. than it charges a U.S. business or customer to deliver a similar size package within the 48 states. The post office is losing money on every package it delivers from China — costs it has to pass on to its own American customers, not to mention U.S. taxpayers."

The USPS does not set postage rates, Congress does. And Congress is bound by the terminal dues rates set by the Universal Postal Union,  a treaty that fall under the United Nations. A new schedule for terminal dues goes into effect in 2018. 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

Most of the stuff that comes from China with free shipping is garbage. It's of such low quality that it's often not worth the value of its components as scrap.

Unfortunately most shoppers in the USA are either happy with that level of quality, or they don't know they're buying trash. Look at Walmart and the people who buy stuff there.

If you're sitting on a stockpile of trash and you can market it as effectively as the Asian dropshippers can, then go for it. If not, your only real option is to try to market to people who know better than to buy trash. There's a lot less of them but they're out there.

i buy stuff at Walmart.

what's your point?

target, macy's, dillards and hundreds of other retailers sell stuff made abroad.

RL, Lacoste, CK all have their clothes made in China and elsewhere...

i buy some stuff at walmart because it is cheaper...

it is my choice.

it doesn't make me any less of a "decent" person.

letoulousain
Message 15 of 39
latest reply