cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChargeBack Absurdity

So I recently had my first charge back. I submitted the tracking info ebay requested. After that, I asked the buyer for the item back and he actually started talking to me. He said his bank initiated the chargeback without his approval. Admitted the sale was legitimate. He said "I have to write them a certified letter for them to stop the chargeback". Obviously most of that is bold face lies. Banks don't start chargeback on their own (from what I understand). All you have to do is call and verify charges when fraud is in question. However, there is now smoking gun evidence that he is lying to the bank. I would expect ebay to do everything possible to help me avoid this chargeback (they won't tell me the financial institution to let me fight it myself), but they won't do anything. I keep getting told "The tracking number is all you need" or "I can't add anything to the tracking number". How is it possible that they don't have a system in place to send relevant information to banks other than a tracking number! It's mind boggling absurdity. The absolute lack of care for sellers stability seems crazy to me. I'm still fairly new and this is my first major chargeback, but is there no way to get this information where it needs to go? Thanks

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

ChargeBack Absurdity

On the chargeback notice there is a place to add a single file as additional evidence. Gather all your pertinent information into a single file and add it to the response. Make sure you get it all the first time. You only get one bite at it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

ChargeBack Absurdity

On the chargeback notice there is a place to add a single file as additional evidence. Gather all your pertinent information into a single file and add it to the response. Make sure you get it all the first time. You only get one bite at it.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

I’ll add to this thread as the chargeback absurdity is pure lunacy. One of the chargebacks that I lost (eBay did agree to cover it financially) had documented proof that the buyer was aware of it and would agree to close the case with his financial institution. Nevertheless I still lost. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

Thats exactly what I feel is happening here. How can there not be a system in place to add more evidence than a tracking number. It seems like they just don't care. 

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

They don't care. Thats why i like Paypal. I can enter as much info as i want day after day and as many pictures as i would like to fight the case.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

I’ve had thousands of dollars in chargebacks with PayPal and won nearly every case. Even had a case where the buyer did a NAD type case and PayPal looked at the clear evidence and basically denied the claim since the buyer had made false and abusive claims. Had that been though MP I would have been left to obviously be defrauded. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

Only the buyer can choose to use Paypal now.

I can enter as much info as i want day after day and as many pictures as i would like to fight the case.

However, it is a good suggestion for the possible updates/changes /improvements(?) to Managed Payments.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

@tiggz_1 wrote:

So I recently had my first charge back. I submitted the tracking info ebay requested. After that, I asked the buyer for the item back and he actually started talking to me. He said his bank initiated the chargeback without his approval. Admitted the sale was legitimate. He said "I have to write them a certified letter for them to stop the chargeback". Obviously most of that is bold face lies. Banks don't start chargeback on their own (from what I understand). All you have to do is call and verify charges when fraud is in question. However, there is now smoking gun evidence that he is lying to the bank. I would expect ebay to do everything possible to help me avoid this chargeback (they won't tell me the financial institution to let me fight it myself), but they won't do anything. I keep getting told "The tracking number is all you need" or "I can't add anything to the tracking number". How is it possible that they don't have a system in place to send relevant information to banks other than a tracking number! It's mind boggling absurdity. The absolute lack of care for sellers stability seems crazy to me. I'm still fairly new and this is my first major chargeback, but is there no way to get this information where it needs to go? Thanks

Yeah... and when you lose, they will charge you $20 for all their effort in "helping" you. And then more than likely that same buyer will be able to go right to the next unsuspecting seller with the next credit card or scam in his/her rotation...

Hope your situation goes better than most...

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

You don’t know how many times someone within the cardholders household or immediate family will buy things on a cardholders credit card only for the cardholder to take their ire out on the vendor.

They believe they are entitled to do chargebacks under the impression that the “rich banks will absorb the losses”  not knowing that banks don’t absorb losses, they come for the merchant, at which point eBay just pulls the money from our accounts despite the fact that they facilitated the entire transaction. 

Why they don’t have these same problems in countries like China, South Korea & Japan speaks volumes. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

I use Paypal ONLY on our personal website. We stopped selling on Ebay when they where trying to force us to use MP.  So i no longer sell on Ebay, I just buy on Ebay now. Best move we ever did. So i guess i should say: Thank you Ebay for forcing me into the next level of selling 🙂

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

Are you making the same amount of money / sales as you used to do here?

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

Thats exactly what I feel is happening here. How can there not be a system in place to add more evidence than a tracking number. It seems like they just don't care. 

That pretty much nails it. They don't care and they have no incentive to do so. 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

@tiggz_1 wrote:

Was the chargeback for item not received or transaction not recognized?  If it was either one of those then all you need is the tracking number showing delivery to the buyers payment address.  EBay does cover you in that situation regardless of the bank’s decision. 
If the chargeback was for another reason they do generally let you add one page of ‘evidence’.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

This is what I will do if I was in your shoes. Do it and follow through.

1. Provide buyer with a return shipping label (Out of your pocket for the return.)

2. Ask the buyer to return item, and that you have provided return shipping label. If you don't get item back within 1 week or 2 (Its your choice the time frame.) That you will do the following.

3. File a Police Report for Theft.

4. File a Report for Theft with USPS

5. File a Report for Theft with Internet Crimes (FBI, investigates this cases.)

Police Report
You have to file the report with buyers Police Department

USPS Theft Link:
https://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx

Internet Crimes department Link:
https://www.ic3.gov

Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

ChargeBack Absurdity

@tiggz_1 

I'm a little confused.  Did the buyer filed an INAD [item not as described] claim or an INR [item not received].  Since you are being told that your tracking number is all that is needed, I'm leaning towards an INR.  And if that is true, why is the buyer even discussing with you about returning the item.  The item they say they haven't received.

Have you looked at the tracking?  Does it say it was Delivered?  If it says it was delivered, you should be covered under the Ebay seller protection on this one.

If it does not say it has been delivered, then you need to file a trace on the package and try to find out where it is.  If you shipped via USPS you can go to USPS.com and file for the trace.  Also while you are there, call up the tracking and sign up for email updates on the package as it moves.

As to getting the financial info on your buyer.  Ebay will never give you that anymore than they would give the buyer's yours.  You have no business with that kind of info on your buyer.  You are not entitled to fight the chargeback directly with the buyer's bank.  Ebay does that as your Money Processor.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 31
latest reply