cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellations

EBAY COMMUNITY:

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE PURCHASE ITEMS AND THEN CANCEL RIGHT AFTER. IS THIS AN ATTEMPT  TO HAVE YOUR ITEM RE LISTED BECAUSE OF TOO MANY VIEWS!! TALK TO ME!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Cancellations

Because people are strange. It's just part of dealing with being a seller. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

We can drive ourselves nuts trying to figure out why.......doesn't really matter.....it happens so we have to deal with it.......  If you have immediate payment selected on fixed price items, you will never have to deal with it...

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@dhbookds That's not true. I have IPR and get cancellation requests all the time. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I get them occasionally and I have IPR on all of my listings.

I hate when the reason is "bought by mistake" - Dude, you had to click "I agree to purchase" like 3 times to buy the item.

ebay is to blame half the time, though, since they show the buyer like items after the purchase is complete, often with a lower price tag. And as a seller, it does no good to deny the cancellation order, since if you insist on sending the item, with the MBG, the buyer will just lie and say it is SNAD, and return it on the seller's dime - then the seller will be out the shipping in both directions.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

There are easily over 100 reasons why a buyer may change their mind on the purchase. You would have to ask each one that changes their mind individually as to why.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

The items you sell attract a younger crowd. Perhaps mom and dad cancelled, because they bought without their consent and were not going to pay.  It happens.  Nice shop, though. Good luck. 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

Perhaps mom and dad cancelled, because they bought without their consent. 

That is one very good reason. My mom would have beat my butt if I spent $500 on a pair of shoes.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I get them too. I think it probably boils down to:

1. eBay shows buyers items similar to their search even after they purchased. This leads them to find same or similar item for lower & want to cancel

2. Young people today do first & think later. (As a High School teacher- I see this get worse with every passing year). So many don't have issue canceling or never thought through the process to begin with.

3. Why do people do strange things? Just why? We will never know!

This is all par for the course when dealing with people.

Good Luck!

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

What bothers me even more is when people send in a Best Offer and once accepted they start asking questions and request more pictures etc. This should be done BEFORE you placed best offer

Incidentally these offer end in cancelations.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I really dont understand this too, and some people are doing this for auctions. people are strange and mostly bad.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@downrightspecialkids wrote:

@dhbookds That's not true. I have IPR and get cancellation requests all the time. 

You're certainly correct, Down.........I was reading the question as pertaining to before they pay.....

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Simple answer - people have always changed their mind.  How many times when shopping some one has an item they  bought say on aisle 1 and  remove it from their cart placed on a shelf in aisle 42 or at the check out register or paid for it on  Monday and is standing in the Customer Service or Care return line on the next day or later. or some people just play games with on line sellers.  Plus Amazon makes it  way to easy to return an item vs eBay..    My SWAG says you have done one of the above situations too.   I have but I will take the time to place the item back on the self location I picked that item - She Who Must Be Obeyed - won't.

Welcome to the retail sell world.  God Is Great, Beer is Good & People Are Crazy.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

ALL of my listings have  "immediate payment selected on fixed price items" as you suggest and it still happens quite frequently. Many buyers just change their mind!! Like the weather!! It is just a part of selling anywhere - on line, or brick and mortar.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

eBay allows it - and sellers can  too -

Read eBay's policy -

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/order-cancellation-policy?id=5298&st=12&...

IWhile I no longer sell on eBay or any other on-line site  -I manged to to sell 1665 items -  only had a few returns and can't recall an order cancellation within the  60 minute window but did  have a few UPI that did not pay.  Used fixed price listing w/ IPR on all my listings.  Solved the UPI shoppers pronto - not one..

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 15 of 20
latest reply