cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you list an item for buy it now $0.00?

Instead of throwing out items in the trash, can you give them away by listing them at $0.00?

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Can you list an item for buy it now $0.00?

You don't have to satisfy my curiosity, but I really do wonder why you would go to the effort and expense to list and ship the stuff, rather than just give it away locally. 

If there is no thrift store or the like that wants the stuff, then do as other suggested (and as people around here also do):  Put it near the street or road, or in the hallway if you live in a multifamily building, in a box labelled "FREE!"

-

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

a new feature of the American roadside are what appear to be yard sales are actually freebie tables -  giving stuff away on the edge of the property.

Great sourcing opportunities. 

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

I will by your PS2 Suffering. Please list it for one cent.

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

No. You would have to make it 0.01.    However, be warned no good deed goes unpunished.  If a buyer were to file a case, you would be refunding the shipping too. 

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

I can see a train wreck coming.

eBay charges you a .30 transaction fee besides the ffv.

Then when the picky buyer wants to return it you lose the original shipping you collected  and the return label cost. 

With that in mind you plan is not a good idea.

I don't  do Facebook but CL has curb alerts from people putting items they no longer want on the curb.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

I put things next to a dumpster. It all disappears.

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

@scott-vf wrote:

Instead of throwing out items in the trash, can you give them away by listing them at $0.00?

@scott-vf

It wouldn't be "giving it away" -  it would be paying someone to take it, because you would have shipping costs you would need to pay plus fees on that amount too if you didnt offer it with free shipping. Better to donate, especially if someone wants to return the item, then you are out shipping both ways.

Good thing is, if you listed it for .01 cent with free shipping, it would only cost you $1 to promote it at 100% - That would be an interesting test to see the effects of promoting at that rate...hehe

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

I would have them pay for shipping and I never promote items.

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

You only get fees if you list 250 item or more. I don't list that much. and why would the person want to ship it back when they could just get rid of it (donate or throw it away) After all they didn't pay anything to get it.

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

why would I have to pay for return shipping when they could just get rid of it (donate it or throw it away) Since they didn't pay for it.

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

- giving stuff away on the edge of the property.

We used to participate in "Centretown Recycling" which was basically putting the good trash at the curb at least the night before garbage day.

I got a lamp and a cast iron frying pan that way.

But when we were throwing away the crib, which was no longer considered safe for use, we took nearly a month to be rid of it , one piece a week.

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

That's a longstanding feature in the area where I live, especially for larger items like furniture or those big plastic Little Tykes tables, etc.  Once in a while the local Facebook or Nextdoor group will have a forlorn post regarding something that somebody left on their front lawn which got taken accidentally as a presumed giveaway!  The cultural norm is to have a sign which says "Free. Do not take the table." I think it evolved out of people who actually had yard sales, then put the leftovers out for free.

I was going to say, there's absolutely nothing new about that. People in my area have been doing it for years, although they don't tend to use tables-- usually they'll just put all the stuff up for grabs in a box.

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@scott-vf wrote:

why would I have to pay for return shipping when they could just get rid of it (donate it or throw it away) Since they didn't pay for it.

They paid the shipping and possibly sales tax, so they might want that back.   As for asking why the buyer wouldn't just get rid of it by donating or throwing it away---they can ask you the same.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

I listed a game for free you just pay shipping. had to list at .99 but will refund after I ship it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145315890955

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

Couldn't list it under .99 So I guess I will list it at .99 (buyer pays shipping) but will refund the purchase price after the sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145315890955

Message 30 of 43
latest reply