cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't fit the tearm "Vintage" in the title and losing possible buyers

I continue to find it frustrating with the limitation of 80 characters in the title. I have over 20,000 listings of "vintage" items, but I try to be specific with the age or age range. I'll put 1940's or 1950's, yet I know people use the term "vintage" when they search. Since most of the time I can't fit the term vintage, I'm missing out on people finding my items. The more accurate I am the more I am punished. A simple adjustment in the algorithm would solve the problem, but they would rather me go broke in fees, paying $46,000 a month in subtitle fees when most of my items are under $10 and my sales are less $60,000 a year.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Can't fit the tearm "Vintage" in the title and losing possible buyers

@fern*wood wrote:

Your titles could easily be tweaked to fit vintage or vtg in there somewhere.  Abbreviate or leave out a lesser searched word if need be.  Prepositions can usually be left out and aren't used in most searches.  They help make titles make sense, but titles don't need to make sense.  They need keywords.  I also see many where it would fit without any adjustments.

• Use "promo" instead of promotional
  • Use "vtg" instead of vintage
  • Use "90s" instead of 1990s
  • You don't need both "comedy" and "comedian" in the title
  • You can omit "music act" in titles. People searching for singers or music will search the artist's name. They know it's music.
  • Unless you have extra spaces to fill, you can omit "&"

@elcamino59 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Last I checked the word “vintage” has less than 80 characters so there shouldn’t be a problem putting it in the title.

Remember when the title used to have a 55 character max? As a buyer and seller, I miss that.

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Last I checked the word “vintage” has less than 80 characters so there shouldn’t be a problem putting it in the title.

Remember when the title used to have a 55 character max? As a buyer and seller, I miss that.

Why the unhelpful response? You have 0 listings running and you are on here not adding anything valuable to the conversation. I'm not selling cheese graters and knock off cologne, I'm selling very specific local historical items of which most of my items cannot be gotten ANYWHERE! Titles with under 55 characters are fine for drop shippers and stuff you can get on Amazon, not items in the antique and collectible categories.

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

The eBay search box will return search results based on:
a) the 80 character limit of words within the title of the listing
b) the item specifics you entered (Brand, Manufacturer Part Number, Compatible Part Number)
That effectively extends a buyers search beyond the 80 character limit. A slick feature.
You could add your own Item Specific to appear in more search results.
Title of your item specific: Era
Text of your item specific: Vintage

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

@elcamino59 wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Why the unhelpful response? You have 0 listings running and you are on here not adding anything valuable to the conversation. I'm not selling cheese graters and knock off cologne, I'm selling very specific local historical items of which most of my items cannot be gotten ANYWHERE! Titles with under 55 characters are fine for drop shippers and stuff you can get on Amazon, not items in the antique and collectible categories.

You REALLY don't know what a 'posting' id is? That 'person' you decided to say that to, has been posting Great info for members on these boards for many years. 

See, people might say things that other people may not agree with. Then some people go 'off the rails' and start doing things to a person's listings, like buying and not paying, buying and starting fake returns, buying and leaving negative feedback etc.....

All in an attempt to 'hurt' a poster just because they don't like what that poster said.

But what is REALLY important is that MANY have posted that your titles need work, can be shortened to fit what you 'think' you need etc. 

So, are you planning on 'reworking' all those titles?

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

I can't get UP to 80 characters.

"Honda H Emblem Badge Logo"

"Chevette Chevrolet Emblem Badge Logo"

"Toyota 2014 Highlander Key Fob"

What else needs to be said?

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

The word Vintage is  sttill a keyword

Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.
Message 37 of 41
latest reply

@elcamino59 wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

You’re absolutely right and have put me in my zero rating place. Keep fighting the good fight and rather than adjust, maybe persuade eBay to implement an 88 (vintage plus a space) character max because an 8k feedback rating seller with 20k listings deems it necessary. But what do I know, I have no listings. Maybe I’ll eventually list and sell my cheese graters. But the title of your post coulda been one less character (term).

IMG_1802.gif

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

I know I mentioned this earlier, but can some of your items be grouped under a Variation listing to both potentially cut down listing fees and also make it easier for buyers to group items that may interest them.

For example, one of my listings contains Coca-Cola playing cards.  Various themes, etc.  I have one listing, with 9 actual card deck items.  They are all around a singular theme, but this way it takes one listing slot, not 9 listing slots.

Not sure if it would apply to you or not, but its something to consider.  The names for each item has to be limited more here (30 some characters maybe?) before it truncates, but you can also put in a plethora of words about each item in the main description page.

As an example, it could be a listing for 1955 post cards, and then each item would be one of those cards.  You also can have a ton of pictures, because each item in the listing is allowed 12 pictures!  Even if you have 50 items listed, each one could have a photo.

Not sure if there is a limit to it, I haven't reached one yet.  But its something to consider.   Not only that, you can do discounts on bundled items the buyer may want from that listing.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

Having a "posting ID" has nothing to do with "the point" that the post was "pointless" 😁

Past posting performance notwithstanding, It appears to be just a jab at the OP, providing no assistance. (bordering on ridicule)

And the follow ups present a holier-than-thou attitude.

An "I've been here longer than you, don't question me" attitude.

Unnecessary.

Message 41 of 41
latest reply