cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can buyers leave negative feedback because seller did not leave feedback for them?

I recently had a buyer leave me a negative feedback. His reasoning for this was "Does Not leave Feedback". So, he gave me negative feedback because I did not leave any for him. I was pretty shocked! So, I called eBay asking them to remove it, because its an unvalid reason to give me negative feedback. The eBay assistant, however, told me that they will not remove it. That is very unfair. Do note that the buyer did not  contact me at all.

What do I do?

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Can buyers leave negative feedback because seller did not leave feedback for them?

Unless there's an unpleasant return situation.

Message 46 of 82
latest reply

Re: Can buyers leave negative feedback because seller did not leave feedback for them?

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@productpier,

I would leave a carefully worded response to that negative, like this:

I’m glad this transaction went so well that you had nothing to complain about.

Anyone reading the feedback already knows that you did nothing to deserve it, and it only reflects badly on the buyer who left it. But this way, you are turning an apparent negative into a positive, and it shows that you are a great person to deal with even when a customer is being difficult (and you have a sense of humor).

I'm pretty sure the limit for feedback is 80 characters since you have a positive that is 80 characters. The suggested response is 78 characters, so you shouldn't have a problem using it.

ROFLMAO great response Lace!!! I would laugh & silently hi-five the seller if I saw that response.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 47 of 82
latest reply

@yccomo wrote:
As a seller, as soon as a buyer pays I leave them positive feedback. Instantly. They've done their part, now it is my turn to perform.

Their part is far from over.   Feedback is not supposed to be posted until the transaction is over, and it isn't over yet.   They are expected to behave ethically, no shaking down the seller for discounts, no filing false snads, no intimidation with feedback threats, no sending back a rock or their broken item.  This is why some sellers don't leave it at payment; they don't want to reward bad behavior with a dishonest positive.  They prefer to leave none or to wait until the buyer posts, signalling all is well.  

Message 48 of 82
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Just saw this on a seller's listing today.

Some sellers are clueless.

Seller since May 2017.

Feedback: Our system gives you positive feedback automatically when you have left us positive feedback and leaves you negative feedback if you leave us negative feedback

Perhaps designed in hopes the uninformed will comply?

Message 49 of 82
latest reply

@dekor1122 wrote:

Perhaps it's time to return to the pre-2008 days, considering  the new breed of buyers over the past year, utilizing extortion to obtain partial or full refunds, and lying about the reason for a return to get out of paying for return shipping.
As a top rated plus seller, we've had more problem buyers is the last year than we've had in the previous 10+ years combined. 
We haven't changed...the attitude of today's buyer has changed.

With all due respect, I could say the same about sellers~more problems than the previous twenty years.  I haven't changed~the quality of listings has.

Message 50 of 82
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@yccomo wrote:
As a seller, as soon as a buyer pays I leave them positive feedback. Instantly. They've done their part, now it is my turn to perform.

Their part is far from over.   Feedback is not supposed to be posted until the transaction is over, and it isn't over yet.  

Yes, it's the buyer who determines when the transaction is over, which they'll do by leaving feedback.

There's no point in jumping the gun and leaving feedback praising the seller, only to have the whole transaction goes sideways shortly thereafter, especially for reasons relating to the buyer rather than the item. 

I'm still curious to know what that buyer's Feedback Left for Others looks like, history-wise, and I am not the first poster here to ask about it. If the buyer does have a nasty track record of similar complaints, that might help sway the judgement of any CS rep who might be reviewing the case. I've had a somewhat-similar complaint addressed a few months back.

Message 51 of 82
latest reply

@vintagedragonfly61 wrote:
I know how you feel. Today I got my first negative because I didn't give the buyer a feedback right after they paid. I checked their feedback and they have given a lot of negatives to sellers. Ebay won't remove it nor will they do anything about it and I have called them 3 times hoping one of the reps would see this as being wrong! Its unfair and not right. Buyers can do whatever they want, since they know we can't give them a negative feedback and some misuse the system!

No doubt it should be considered a misuse of the Feedback system. Leaving FB as what happened to the OP is not what the FB system was intended for. 

I will continue to do what I've always done...leave Positives only to positives received.

If I get a negative...so be it...but I will not give in to bullies. 

Message 52 of 82
latest reply

A seller doesn't have to heap praise on a buyer when they leave feedback.

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@yccomo wrote:

Their part is far from over.   Feedback is not supposed to be posted until the transaction is over, and it isn't over yet.   They are expected to behave ethically, no shaking down the seller for discounts, no filing false snads, no intimidation with feedback threats, no sending back a rock or their broken item.  This is why some sellers don't leave it at payment; they don't want to reward bad behavior with a dishonest positive.  They prefer to leave none or to wait until the buyer posts, signalling all is well.  

Couldn't have said it better myself..........

Message 54 of 82
latest reply

If you absolutely can't get a rep to remove it, I would suggest as a response to it something to the effect of:

"And here I was just about to give you feedback.  Oh well, bye."

Or:  "Your feedback is private.  Can't seem to post it." (feigning ignorance).

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 55 of 82
latest reply

Feedback is not supposed to be posted until the transaction is over,

There is absolutely no rule about when feedback "should" be left.......... and as pointed out in several places people have differing opinions as to when the transaction is over.

Whatever you believe, if a seller doesn't leave feedback first........he leaves himself open to the neg.  Fact..........as proven by  the original poster.  I've never seen a neg like that removed........tho a poster here said he did get one removed some years ago I believe.  It's certainly possible a CS will remove it.....but you may have to contact many to finally get one that will........

So much easier just to leave the darned feedback in the first place. 

Message 56 of 82
latest reply

Agreed. A lot of people view their feedback like it is facebook friends or something. Since feedback is a joke now anyway and holds no weight, just leave the buyers feedback when they pay.

I've read so many posts over the years about buyers leaving a negative for not getting their gold star for purchasing something. For some people, feedback is EVERYTHING. It really is a big deal to some people, they feel rejected or abandoned or disrespected if you don't leave them their kudos.

I just leave it the second the buyers pay. Done. Sorry this happened to you, call eBay and get another rep, someone will remove that nonsense.

I wish they would just get rid of feedback.
Message 57 of 82
latest reply

I have a buyer who only leaves the date the item was received as her feedback. It makes it look like her item came late when it didn't. She leaves the same for everyone, received on 00/00/0000. Why bother leaving a feedback like that? Or, "Thanks", or "OK", etc., tells other people nothing.
Message 58 of 82
latest reply

Exactly. Ship and leave feedback. If it's a bad buyer, your previous positive isn't going to matter anyway.
Nice feedback up front works wonders 🙂 Might even help prevent a buyer on the fence from being a pain, never know 🙂
Kill 'em with kindness!
Message 59 of 82
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

A seller doesn't have to heap praise on a buyer when they leave feedback.

I'm not suggesting that you have to "heap" praise on the buyer, but a Positive feedback comment, regardless of its exact wording, is basically an endorsement of the buyer, which he may or may not deserve, depending on what other action he may take after you have left your comment first.

Message 60 of 82
latest reply