cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Who Attempt to Scam and The Backing They Get from Ebay

As a person who has been buyer and seller on Ebay for 20 years, I have seen a lot change in that time. I recently ran into an issue with a buyer who I believe was attempting a scam, and Ebay did not back me at all. This buyer purchased a camera off of me for $560, they had zero feedback and opened the account the very day the won my camera. Yes, I know everyone needs to start somewhere, but that is a red flag with a high ticket item. 

They received the item, and near 3 weeks pass before they file a claim against me for a full refund ISNAD. Claiming the camera, which was used only twice "Made a strange noise", which to me it didn't.  No pictures, no evidence, just that it made a strange noise. Ok, so how is that "Significantly not as described"? Well, according to Ebay, it is.

I emailed the buyer, they never responded. They never contacted me directly when they had this alleged issue.  Brand new to ebay and they jump right to the open a case tab before contacting me? Sounds a little shady to me!

After 3 days, they never responded, and Ebay kept emailing ME, stating I needed to contact them, which I had done, but for some reason they don't see that on their end. So at day 4, I contacted ebay stating that I believe this was a scam, and the buyer never responded to me, have zero feedback with a brand new account, and that this is a problem on this site. 

Ebay replied with, "We've reviewed this case and we've sided with the buyer". **bleep**?! I've been here for 20 years with an above average account and you side with them???

So here, I'm going to share with you the email I sent to the buyer, which I believe helped my situation.

I see eBay sided with you, congratulations. Someone who just registered their account a few hours before buying a high ticket item from a 20 year seller. Then wants a refund after a few weeks? And doesn’t respond when I message? Nor contacted me directly with any questions? That sounds like fraud to me.

So, here’s what’s going to happen. If I receive anything other than what I shipped you, in any other condition than what I shipped you, you can expect this.
I may live in Delaware now, but I just moved down from Elizabeth NJ. Where my husband is very close friends with 6 NYPD officers. One of which is a detective. So, I can bypass filing a fraud report through my local PD and go directly to the source. And being that we’re friends, they won’t sit on the paperwork. They’ll have your address and meet you at your door charged with fraud and mail fraud.

So, if you do decide to go through with this, and the item isn’t what I sent you, expect the above to happen. You can be guaranteed of that.

A few days later, they replied that they had taken the camera into the shop and that the noise was normal, however there's dust in the lens. You have got to be kidding me!!! I responded a few times with links to articles that dust cant be avoided, its normal, and that they cant just change their reasoning for the return. 

From that point, they went dark, and I never heard from them again. They were given 14 days to return the camera, and they never did. Maybe they didn't want to take the chance if I was bluffing or truthful about having NYPD come out. They'll never know! 

I want to leave you with this. This was the 3rd case opened against me in a month. The other 2 were because they wanted to know why the post office was taking so long to deliver their items! SERIOUSLY! With that, I'm done ebay. You sided with a con artist and I refuse to sell here any longer. Its not worth it anymore, and that's a shame

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

As a long time seller, you were surprised at the method used by eBay to protect buyer interests. This tells me you must never have encountered a serious problem or case in all that time and therefore must be an outstanding seller. 

Your not knowing what to expect may have worked against you. When it comes to applying the Money Back Guarantee, it is in the long-term interests of the seller to refund regardless of the case’s legitimacy. Then afterwards to open an appeal. That is when you supply case notes from the authorities. You have 30 days to open an appeal. Below is the policy on what to do.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item...

As for the shipping delays, eBay places that responsibility on the seller as well. Ebay holds the seller responsible for the safe and timely delivery of the sold item. That may seem unfair, but it is on the seller to ensure they meet their terms of sale, even though it is eBay that calculates the estimated delivery time. Taking into account the seller’s handling time and choice of carrier, it is up to sellers to make sure the item arrives on time and as described.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

"So, here’s what’s going to happen. If I receive anything other than what I shipped you, in any other condition than what I shipped you, you can expect this.
I may live in Delaware now, but I just moved down from Elizabeth NJ. Where my husband is very close friends with 6 NYPD officers. One of which is a detective. So, I can bypass filing a fraud report through my local PD and go directly to the source. And being that we’re friends, they won’t sit on the paperwork. They’ll have your address and meet you at your door charged with fraud and mail fraud.

So, if you do decide to go through with this, and the item isn’t what I sent you, expect the above to happen. You can be guaranteed of that." The shame is you got away with making terroristic threats that were basically nonsense.

If the buyer had reported you, you would be suspended by now. What makes you think you can make threats like that?

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Sorry to hear about your problem with a new buyer.  I've been selling for several years and I have my selling preferences set to block bidders with under 5 feedback.   I know this won't help now but, should you decide to sell on eBay again I recommend it.   Best of luck.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Hi @cemeteryhaunts 

Gosh ... I'm sorry you've reached your wits end with eBay ... but I have to say that there was nothing that screamed out 'con artist' about the buyer of your camera.

Here's an alternative interpretation:

A newbie buys an expensive camera as their first eBay purchase.  They hear a noise they're unsure of and become concerned they may have purchased something defective that may be about to break down.  [One cannot take photos of a 'noise' BTW.]

They see that the listing says 'no returns accepted' ... so it doesn't occur to them to contact the seller.   They either phone eBay CS ... or read eBay's Money Back Guarantee ... and are told to file a return request.

After winning the case ... they hear from the seller who goes ballistic on them ... threatening to have multiple police officers come to their door if the returned item is in any way 'different' from how it was sent. 

The terrified buyer decides that it isn't worth taking the chance that they are dealing with a bona fide madman ... so doesn't return the camera.

All I can say is that I hope the buyer doesn't ask eBay to read your messages to them ... or brings them to their local police.  While I realize everyone can go off the deep end occasionally ... especially since the pandemic began ... I hope you talk this out with someone you trust, as your behavior is not something anyone should emulate IMHO.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

"Sorry to hear about your problem with a new buyer.  I've been selling for several years and I have my selling preferences set to block bidders with under 5 feedback."

Thats not possible.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

There are a couple of things that are not adding up. When the buyer opened the ISNAD case did you respond to the case and accept the return within the timeframe allowed? It sounds like you did not respond and eBay stepped in and sided with the buyer and issued a full refund without requiring the buyer to return the item. 

If you accepted the return and the buyer has not returned the item by the deadline they were given ask eBay to step in and they should close the case in your favor and the buyer will not be refunded. Don't forget to cancel the return label to get your money back. If it's with USPS it generally takes them 4-6 weeks to process the refund. 

If eBay refunded the buyer and they have not returned the item you have technically been robbed. File the police report, USPS report and FBI Internet Crime Complaint. Not sure how much good this will do but if you do nothing then for sure nothing will happen. Hopefully you have something from the camera to identify it as stolen like the serial number and/or the original purchase receipt. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@cemeteryhaunts 

Wow on the Buyer threats.  Wow.  

Would surmise e-Bay would frown on threatening a Buyer.....

Just because you can pound it out on a keyboard....that is what the DRAFT folder is for.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

The only red flag I saw in your entire story was a seller getting lucky after a massive and ill-advised bluff. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@cemeteryhaunts 

As long as you've been selling, you should known that buyers are not required to respond to the case and you only have 3 days to accept the return.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@mr.emk wrote:

I've been selling for several years and I have my selling preferences set to block bidders with under 5 feedback.  

That's not possible, there's no block for that.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@mr.emk wrote:

Sorry to hear about your problem with a new buyer.  I've been selling for several years and I have my selling preferences set to block bidders with under 5 feedback.   I know this won't help now but, should you decide to sell on eBay again I recommend it.   Best of luck.

Hi @mr.emk Actually what you set was not what you think. It is not possible to block low feedback buyers, with one exception. In Buyer Requirements you can limit the sale of a buyer who has previously purchased from you. The repeat buyer can also be blocked from buying if his feedback score is 5 or less. But that setting is only for repeat buyers. See screenshot below.

DFB0F459-728F-490C-9FFB-AB9A5A5FA84D.jpeg

There is a link in the Buyer Requirement policy below that will take you to Buyer Management where this setting exists.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

"If I receive anything other than what I shipped you, in any other condition than what I shipped you..."

@cemeteryhaunts 

You'll probably not receive anything at all since you didn't approve the Return request.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I am also tired of these bad people scamming me out of my money. I am ready to move on.  I had no idea that their was soooo mannnny of these scammers. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Sometimes people like me like to vent, especially me. But after reconsidering it. Venting in an ebay forum about ebay.

This is the wrong place. At least for me.

This place should be empty and as such I will leave.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply