cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer was fully refunded and kept the item.

Hello, 

I recently sold an item and the buyer claimed that the item was not as described. In my listing I provided a picture showing the exact size of the item and it was also mentioned in my description. Buyer obviously lied, she wanted to return the item at my expense. I did not accept return and sent several messages to the buyer. Ebay decided in buyer's favor and fully refunded. I contacted the buyer asking to return the item and she refused stating that ebay told her that she can keep the item. All phone calls to ebay were unsuccessful. I really don't understand how ebay can leave me without money and without the item...

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Buyer was fully refunded and kept the item.

Once you refused to accept the return, Ebay does it for you.  When they have to step in, they generally will allow the buyer to keep the item and get a refund. You should always accept a SNAD return even if the buyer is lying.  It will never end well for you if you don't, as you just found out.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I just wonder if ebay would do the (just keep it)  were it to be ebays item in question ?? I bet the answer would be no !! Simply put the seller was dealing already with a dishonest buyer or they would send it back anyway ! This is another case of weak seller protection !!

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Sorry for the bum deal.  On top of that you will also get a ding on your seller account for eBay needing to step in.

In the future, always contact eBay before a sketchy return is declined or accepted.  That way there is a record of your concerns that might help with an appeal down the road.  Everytime I have contacted eBay about a return, it has worked out in my favor.  The buyer receives their money and I get back a used item, but ebay has refunded me on several cases after appeal.  As well as removed feedback on the items if need be.

The key it seems is that the buyer would have to have a history of return abuse.  You can look at their feedback they have left for others and see if there are patterns.  i.e., comments like, "seller made a mistake, but partial refund issued" or "seller refused return and I had to ask eBay for refund" or similar such statements.

Anything that is against eBay policy that is able to be reported about the buyer should be done.  Without reports, then eBay can't see the pattern of abuse and the "buyer" gets refunded and sometimes they get to keep the product and the seller has to pick up the pieces.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Yea Thats the way it goes, I have been a seller for many years on ebay and there is a few things i have learned, If you expect to have a item returned to you  you need to accept returns and i do free 30 day returns,  add it to the cost of shipping a little each transaction so when someone sends something back it really does not cost you anything. and if they do not send it back-no refund period! ebay will not refund untill it is sent back and if it is damaged they will not refund if you contact them and tell them the item was damaged by the buyer. and state ahead of time in your listings what reasons you will accept returns for.  if they wait over 30 days to send it back no refund,     another thing is tracking-add tracking to anything you sell, at there cost if needed, this stops that i did not receive it bull **bleep** that those dishonest people try to pull to get your item and keep the money. if tracking shows they got it ebay will not let them leave neg feedback . there are people out there that target sellers that do not add tracking to get your stuff for free.  and most of all block those picky hard to get along with buyers from bidding  after the first time they try to mess u over, you wont have to deal with them any more and there are plenty of buyers on ebay so you wont miss them a bit.  hope this helps you out a bit--happy selling--Daryl

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

This is another case of weak seller protection !!

There is no seller protection for a SNAD claim. It does not matter if the buyer is lying or not. It does not matter what the description says, nor what the pictures portray.  The seller's choices are to either refund and let the buyer keep the product, or fund the return in hopes of maybe getting the item back in the condition sent. 

If you don't go along with a liar buyer claim, eBay will take care of it for you at your expense and award additional unsavory consequences.  

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@reed-sales wrote:

In the future, always contact eBay before a sketchy return is declined or accepted.

As a seller, you never want to get Ebay involved until you get an item back and the buyer has been refunded.

It's better to accept the return and refund buyer once something is returned, then you can contact Ebay and complain.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@travelingfrogfinds wrote:

I really don't understand how ebay can leave me without money and without the item...

Because you didn't accept the return and Ebay had to take care of it.

Not only do you not get the item back, you don't get your fee's refunded either.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@reed-sales wrote:

In the future, always contact eBay before a sketchy return is declined or accepted.

As a seller, you never want to get Ebay involved until you get an item back and the buyer has been refunded.

It's better to accept the return and refund buyer once something is returned, then you can contact Ebay and complain.

I do not accept returns and the only way I am willing to is if eBay knows that I am doing so under protest.  Then when there truly is an issue with the return, I can cite the previous communication I had with them about the issue.  Click, Click, Click and the issue is gone.

This method has worked everytime for the past 5 years at least.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

"I did not accept return"

You have that right. You chose not to return.

You do not have the right to refuse refund.

You gave up item and money.

No returns: does not mean no refunds.

As expensive mistake to have to make and learn.

Don't forget to put them on your blocked bidders list.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Let the customer know that you've filed a mail fraud report with the US Postal Inspection Service and their local police department. If you don't get a response, tell them that you'll see them in small claims court.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

There is not much you can do when a buyer claims INAD but 1) accept the return, pay for the return postage and refund the buyer their money once you receive the item back or 2) let the buyer keep the item and refund them their money.

If eBay steps in they have a tendency to choose option #2 so if you want your item back you need to respond within the time limits set by eBay and request that your item be returned by the buyer.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. There is no mail fraud case here but just fraud. Police will not be able to help in this particular situation. Small claims court procedure would cost much more than I lost. Even with judgment in my favor collection could be successful or not. May be attorney general office with internet fraud department could help. 

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Thank you for the information. I am surprised you are very much informed on the issue without any sales on your account. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply