cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying to return item with no return policy after 28 days.

Hello community 

So long story short, a buyer bought a laptop with no return policy. The second  I email him to check in and learn if the item was received intact. He’s answer was positive and the item was in good working order. After 26 days , he opens a return and states that the item today became faulty and he wants a refund. I try to explain to him that the eBay guarantee is if you received it faulty, different than the listing, and if  he didn’t receive it at all, but he accuses me that I don’t honor the eBays policy. I talked with customer service and here is the crazy part. eBay encourages  me to accept the return and refund the buyer so the buyer can have great buying experience. Excuse me, they violating their own policies?

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Buyer trying to return item with no return policy after 28 days.

Sorry if I insult you, but you talk from experience (understandable), and I talk with facts and evidence.
Message 16 of 48
latest reply

OP,

I have browsed these boards for over 10 years.

In the last couple of years it has been said time and time and time again that Ebay does not follow their policies.

And an Ebay employee (a/k/a "blue") has said here that there are hidden policies.

Take the return and possibly there is nothing wrong with it and it is a remorse return and buyer during these times wished they had not spent the money, and perhaps it will be packed correctly, and with just a little luck you can sell it again.

It is ALL about the buyer these days !  I have read time and time again these days that it is what a buyer "checked off" ie  not as described, ie even if there is a note in Ebay messages that buyer is just saying NAD so they get free shipping.

Good luck.

I was never a big seller but I stopped back in 2005.  I feel it was about that time that Ebay was getting too involved and it was no longer "just a venue."

Tammy

New Hampshire

Message 17 of 48
latest reply

They say you shouldn't list anything here you can't afford to lose.

If I did sell something here it wouldn't be more than for $10.  Not that I can't afford financially $10 but I'm not getting my blood pressure up for more than that.

Tammy

New Hampshire

Message 18 of 48
latest reply

See the word "faulty"? To eBay that means it has to work for 30 days.

Message 19 of 48
latest reply

Yes but also says if arrived faulty!
Message 20 of 48
latest reply

@alor_tech wrote:
I understand, but the customer emails me that the laptop was running great and after 26 days it died(total 28).

@alor_tech 

Minor details have never bothered ebay - they are 'big picture' thinkers.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 21 of 48
latest reply

If something completely stops working in less than 30 days with proper use, then chances are it did arrive faulty.

It was a used computer - the logic board could have been on its last legs.

If you refuse to either accept the return or refund without a return then the buyer will escalate this. eBay will force the refund from your account, you will get a defect on your account and you will lose any appeal with eBay. You will also lose your final value fees.

You're better off accepting the return.

Message 22 of 48
latest reply

I believe that we playing with the words when the policy states everything clearly. He committed and purchased a used laptop with no returns policy. Everyone takes the risk when he buying used items through eBay. I went through couple transactions that are failed after a month; I didn't asked for a refund. Now this guy, I am fully convinced that because he doesn't work(corona virus); he is wife provably tald him to return it back for cash. In conclusion, I am gonna drag it to the end, because I don't like scams. If the eBay give him the return; I am gonna just stop selling here. I’am a professional electronics tech and the laptop was inspected.
Message 23 of 48
latest reply

@alor_tech wrote:
 In conclusion, I am gonna drag it to the end, because I don't like scams. If the eBay give him the return; I am gonna just stop selling here. I’am a professional electronics tech and the laptop was inspected.

That's your choice buddy, but don't say we didn't warn you!

Acting now would minimize your financial loss so you could at the very least get your final value fees back. Since you're a professional electronics tech you should be able to repair the laptop and re-sell it.

You're not a top rated seller and the listing was marked no returns so you don't have any recourse with eBay if the buyer sends back a different item or a rock.

Message 24 of 48
latest reply

@alor_tech wrote:
Sorry if I insult you, but you talk from experience (understandable), and I talk with facts and evidence.

Ebay does not care about your facts or anything else.

All they care about is the buyer and he says it's faulty.

End of discussion.

If you want to continue the way you are going, and the buyer escalates, Ebay will refund from your money, and let the buyer keep the item.

You will get a severe defect and if you get too many, you won't have to worry about your policies, or Ebay's as you will no longer be selling here.

You can say what you want and argue till you are blue in the face and will lose.

You come here for advise, others have given it to you as well, but you refuse to listen.

If you are going to do what you want, why bother coming to the boards and ignore what others have said.

Message 25 of 48
latest reply

You saying that I refuse to listen. I can fit it into my mind that their policy is clear and they gonna give the favour to the buyer.Screenshot (41)_LI.jpg

Message 26 of 48
latest reply

While I am not sure whether the laptop was faulty to begin with or the buyer damaged it, I think you have many options:
1. Try sharing your screenshot "Fraudulent claim and abusive buyer behavior" with the buyer to encourage them to close the case on their own. (I think if they are indeed frauds, they would probably close the return request)
2. If the buyer still insists returning, then perhaps consider offer them a partial refund.
3. Allow eBay deal with the case and accept the outcome (Either you win or accept the total loss of the sale amount + ebay paypal fees + shipping).

People here on this board simply try to help based on our experiences. If you haven't noticed, eBay sometimes doesn't abide by justice/their own rules/logic/common sense. eBay will refund a buyer and keep the fees even with proof of delivery, imagine that.

Message 27 of 48
latest reply

I think the bottom line is that ebay has a direct line to your money, and you agreed that they could make the final decision in any dispute.

Now, this is America, so you could take them to court, and I honestly have no sense of whether you'd win or lose, but I do have a sense of this: If they did lose, or if you did disconnect their access to your money, they may well point to the same policies you do when the buyer says he wants his money back.

I agree that their policy says buyers can return items "if they arrive faulty" and the buyer said "the item arrived and it is not faulty". But what people here are saying from experience is that you have two choices: accept the return and get the item back, or don't accept the return and ebay will probably refund the buyer, in which case you will be out both the item and the money.

Now we're still in America where anyone can sue their grandmother, and so I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how much of a roll of the dice that would be, but I think that's probably where you would be. I would read the Terms of Service - particularly the part where they say they can make all final determinations in escalated cases, which yours may be, if you refused the return.

Message 28 of 48
latest reply

I don't know for real anymore. I am gonna just wait and take this risk because if unfair all this. I understand, and I appreciate all the members who participate in my comment. Probably the outcome gonna be ready around 8-9 April. I posted and annotate their policy and the emails, so they can have a full picture of the case. I learn in my life to work with integrity and code. Now, if eBay makes rules that cant follow for whatever reason; I don't wanna be a member of this tragedy.
Message 29 of 48
latest reply

I hear you. I hope you can work it out with the buyer. If not, I hope you can work it out with ebay. Let us know how it goes, and best of luck. 

Message 30 of 48
latest reply