cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned opened trading cards and ebay's money back guarantee refunded him

Been using eBay for years now to only buy but just recently started selling on here. I just had a buyer that bought twice from me first time was a $1000 order and that was okay second time was a $1250 order he claimed to have "dented" boxes which is fine things happen during shipping. At this point the buyer could have refunded the sealed and dented booster boxes but for some reason my buyer opened the item to "inspect" for damage. Upon inspecting the booster boxes, my buyer only found that 1 booster pack was "bent" and instead of asking for a partial refund for the damaged booster pack he started a return for a FULL refund. After waiting for 3 weeks+ for my buyer to return the item for a refund which i'm almost certain he swapped cards eBay sided with him and gave him full refund. How do you as a seller protect yourselves from false claims such as these? I asked eBay for advice but all they said was I should offer returns for all things I'm selling but the thing is I sell SEALED booster boxes so I don't accept returns because people will take cards or swap them.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Buyer returned opened trading cards and ebay's money back guarantee refunded him

They will always get full refund.

Don't sell what you can't afford to lose.

It's sad but it's the reality.

Unless you ready to take them to court and press the issue. That's both time and money and still no guarantee.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@robho8240 wrote:

After waiting for 3 weeks+ for my buyer to return the item for a refund which i'm almost certain he swapped cards eBay sided with him and gave him full refund. 

There is a three day rule with Trading Cards for the Money Back Guarantee.  Was the return request done within the three days of receiveing the Trading Cards?

If the return was requested within the three days and eBay allowed them three weeks to return the cards this would seem to defeat the purpose of their three day rule.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

stephenmorgan_0-1710133330312.png

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

So basically what that says is that if the buyer requests a return within 3 days of delivery they're covered,no matter what?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The request to return wouldn't be open if it wasn't a valid mbg case.

After request they still have 21 day window.

Ebay wouldn't have intervened unless he was within the time-frame.

Doesn't defeat the 3 day rule at all just like requesting a return ok the 30th day and then waiting 3 weeks to return is acceptable. Would you say that defeats the 30 day rule?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

So basically what that says is that if the buyer requests a return within 3 days of delivery they're covered,no matter what?

Somewhat.

I understand that if the request was made through eBay during the three days and the item was returned, then the refund needs to be made.  I also understood one reason for this rule is due to the volatile fluctuation in Trading Cards prices. 

Taking three weeks to return seems excessive in such a changing market that the three day rule seems pointless if item is not required to be returned within a reasonable time to mitigate the sellers possible losses.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@robho8240 wrote:

”How do you as a seller protect yourselves from false claims such as these?”

Selling here requires study. The primary way for sellers to attempt to mitigate the chronic risk of the Money Back Guarantee is to ensure you know as much about eBay’s rules, policies and procedures as those “buyers” who use the MBG nefariously.

In particular, read and learn the eBay User Agreement, the Money Back Guarantee policy, and the forbidden and restricted goods list.

Keep in mind that sellers on eBay assume all the risk. Being a new seller can exponentially increase the likelihood of costly mistakes if diligent preparations are not made.

The good news is that in 15 years of selling on eBay, i have never encountered a fraudulent buyer. (Fraudulent sellers:yes. Fraudulent buyers? No.) This is what i do:

I have been offering free returns for many years longer than eBay has pushed for them. It works for me because 1) i get very few returns historically, and 2) i am a cautious lister.

What a cautious lister does:

a) It doesn’t go up on eBay if i don’t think it will sell.

b) I avoid high scam categories like gaming, computers, smartphones, tablets, electronics in general, some luxury designer goods.

c) Avoid expensive goods until you’ve been selling regularly for 3-6 months and have built up some feedback history. Scammers want easy and inexperienced prey, so don’t look it.

d) The lion’s share of my time is spent crafting my listings carefully. I use full and complete Item Specifics, detailed information (including any flaws) in my Description field, and follow SEO in titles. e) Use calculated shipping until you’ve gained more experience. I do not recommend starting off with Free shipping until you learn the ropes. Be sure you own a postal scale and measuring tape to weigh and measure all packages prior to listing, which includes having adequate packaging on-hand. Always use tracking.

f) Avoid selling flawed goods until much later. Some buyers do not read the listings. You want to avoid the pitfalls right now, so do not give a buyer any reason to open a Not As Described case against you.

Good luck to you in your selling. Wish you much success!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The buyer requested the return the day he received the package the 3 day rule I believe is to request a return within 3 days. I don't think buyers are responsible to return the items within a time frame if the seller doesn't accept returns which is stupid.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It doesn't matter how cautious you are in your listing this buyer bought sealed product claimed it was dented opened it and returned it opened no amount of pictures would have helped me. Per ebay's money back guarantee items should be returned in as is condition so if I sent out SEALED boxes they should come back SEALED even if they have dents.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@robho8240 wrote:

It doesn't matter how cautious you are in your listing this buyer bought sealed product claimed it was dented opened it and returned it opened no amount of pictures would have helped me. Per ebay's money back guarantee items should be returned in as is condition so if I sent out SEALED boxes they should come back SEALED even if they have dents.

That's mainly for remorse returns.

For an INAD, they could have shipped back an empty box and you would still have to refund.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@robho8240 wrote:

Hi @robho8240 

Your question posed was this:

How do you as a seller protect yourselves from false claims such as these?”

That is what i addressed. But let me add that since the buyer altered the condition of the goods you sold, i would appeal eBay’s decision. You have 30 days in which to appeal. See link below on how to do that, if interested.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-outcome-case-seller?id=4369#sectio...

Because i offer Free Returns, i have the option to reduce the refund by up to 50% of the price if an item is returned in an altered condition.

But i’m afraid i may not have been clear in my previous post, so if you would, let me try to remedy that:

There is no way to completely protect oneself selling on eBay. As you have discovered, virtually any buyer can defraud any seller out of any item by invoking the Money Back Guarantee.

My point in sharing how i safeguard my account is aimed at prevention and preparation, in answer to your query.

As a new seller with high priced goods, you are a prime target. My efforts are for reducing the risk of being a target and it has been effective in my selling activities (so far, still knocking on wood). Free Returns are not for everyone. But i had hoped there was some suggestion in my post that might aid you moving forward. I am sorry it seemed an affront, it was not meant to be.

Wish you all the best.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

It does make the 3 day return request window meaningless.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 12
latest reply