cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer refusing to pay after refund issued and tracking proves item was received.

I've been selling on Ebay for 17 years with 47,000 positive feedback transactions and rarely have a problem with buyers.  Recently I sold an item for $8.88 and after a couple of weeks the buyer said the item was not received.   Without hesitation I issued a full refund and filed an investigation with the Post Office.  Sure enough within a couple of weeks the item was located and delivered to my buyer.  I have made no less than 10 attempts at messaging the buyer requesting to be paid back for the refund.  Needless to say she does not respond and I have not been paid back.  I filed 3 separate complaints with Ebay over the past several weeks and have gotten no response from them.  I did a follow up to my original positive feedback for the buyer warning other sellers to BEWARE and also blocked the buyer.  I do not what else I can do if Ebay does not answer me or help me retrieve my money back.  Any suggestions? Thank you 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Buyer refusing to pay after refund issued and tracking proves item was received.

Any suggestions?

@paulette1960 

Move past it.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Move on, and put the $$ in the loss column on your ledger.

You have attempted to contact the buyer 9 times too many.

eBay will do nothing to assist you in this matter other than possibly suggesting to the buyer that they should pay you.

Your follow-up feedback that I have not looked at,  even though it sounds factual, is an eBay policy violation. If reported by the buyer your account will get a ding.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

"Any suggestions? "

Move on already.  Ten times?  It's about $10.

Watch the movie Office Space and it might help.  At least no one is telling you that you need to come into the office on Saturday & Sunday.  

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

About all you can do at this point is report the buyer and put it behind you. One of the perils of being a seller on eBay. This happened a LOT during last years holiday fiasco. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@paulette1960 wrote:

I do not what else I can do if Ebay does not answer me or help me retrieve my money back.  Any suggestions? Thank you 

eBay has absolutely no power to compel a buyer to repay you after a refund has been issued.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

About all you can do at this point is report the buyer and put it behind you. One of the perils of being a seller on eBay. This happened a LOT during last years holiday fiasco. 

There's nothing to report. Buyer's item wasn't delivered and buyer was owed a refund.  An honest buyer would have repaid but that isn't required per ebay policy.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@paulette1960 

For $9 or $10, I'd tell them Merry Christmas and move on.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

eBay cannot force this buyer to pay AGAIN.   The item was weeks late according to your own post.    WEEKS late!

Stop pinging this buyer to make this payment.   

If my memory serves me correctly, they have no WAY to pay you now via eBay.  The transaction is complete in eBay's eyes and and option for payment is gone.

If you ask the buyer to pay you directly (outside of eBay payment options), you would be transacting outside of eBay which would be a violation.

It is definitely time to move on from this transaction.    Luckily it was only $8.88.     Keep in mind you CANNOT leave negatively worded feedback for this buyer because that is also an eBay violation.

With all your feedback as a seller, if this is your only troublesome transaction, that is awesome.

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

you should be paid and not forget it or your item should be sent back

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I may be crazy...........and maybe someone else will remember better than I.........

I thought there was statement by ebay or someone who had run into this.........that IF Ebay forced the refund.....i.e you have 3 days (or whatever it is) to get the item to the buyer or refund.........and you had to refund but later the item was delivered, ebay would refund the seller.........  I can't find anything to back that up.......

I think I would email and see if there was any chance that they would do it...thru Facebook for Business page......

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

10 messages to the buyer? over $8? Do you not realize that many buyers come here to purchase and don't return for weeks or months?

Also- did you know you are NOT ALLOWED to leave NEGATIVE verbiage in a Positive Feedback? When the buyer sees it, they can report you, it will be removed and your selling days could be in jeopardy.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

While it would, in my opinion, be right for the buyer to either repay or return the item, there is no way to force them to do so.  My advice is to put them on your BBL, if you don't want to do business with them again, and move on.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@*_forum_id_* wrote:

eBay cannot force this buyer to pay AGAIN.   The item was weeks late according to your own post.    WEEKS late!

Stop pinging this buyer to make this payment.   

If my memory serves me correctly, they have no WAY to pay you now via eBay.  The transaction is complete in eBay's eyes and and option for payment is gone.

If you ask the buyer to pay you directly (outside of eBay payment options), you would be transacting outside of eBay which would be a violation.

It is definitely time to move on from this transaction.    Luckily it was only $8.88.     Keep in mind you CANNOT leave negatively worded feedback for this buyer because that is also an eBay violation.

With all your feedback as a seller, if this is your only troublesome transaction, that is awesome.

Once the transaction is complete you can exchange contact information such as PayPal. That's not a policy violation. I had something arrive to me after I had been refunded and wanted to repay. I made sure it wouldn't be a policy violation for either of us to exchange info. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

If you voluntarily refund the buyer within 3 days of the case being opened, you are eligible for reimbursement from eBay on appeal if the item is delivered to the customer within 30 days of the case being closed. More details on the process here

@paulette1960 

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 15 of 22
latest reply