cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little to no sales..will someone tell me what im doing wrong? Are all my items crap?

I promote 10%

I'm a top rated seller but I sell very little. Maybe 6 to 10 things a week. I want that everyday. I need some constructive criticism please.

AandRinventory 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Little to no sales..will someone tell me what im doing wrong? Are all my items crap?

334 Active Listings
149 Sold in the past 90 days
50 Sold in the past 30 days
15% Sold per month
6.7 Month supply of inventory

Maybe 6 to 10 things a week. Your sold history indicates 11.7 per week.
Many sellers wish they had that 15% percent number.
You are doing well, but just don't realize it.
Garage and estate sale finds take time for the right buyer to come along.
You need to revise your time to sell expectation to be longer.

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

You have a nice store with nice things(not for me), but nice. On eBay, I am a fan of free shipping and building that into the price. Why does an item have to be $29 and $10 for shipping when it could just be $39? It's psychological. My only other advice would be to list on multiple platforms as eBay has been denying sellers visibility. Lastly, the more you have for sale, the more you will sell. Good Luck.

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

There are a few things that would attract buyers to your item: Free Returns, Good Prices, Good Pictures, Good Feedback Rating. You are doing well on that score. 

In order to sell more I would suggest nailing down items that you're 'known' for so you can capitalize on repeat buyers.  Your inventory is very varied. In today's market, buyers tend to be loyal to sellers they like and will return if you offer what they're looking for.  Think about specializing a little more.  Also, your listing titles could use some work. Try to put in some catch words. Buyers seek items by words. Specifics not generalities. Brands, color, size, style, etc. 

Keep your listings as new as you can by ending and sell similar. It does help.  As someone else mentioned you may want to do Free Shipping. I put it off as long as possible, but I'm reaping good benefits from offering it for the most part. I price my items to include it. Buyers love free shipping. 

Good luck. 

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

Anytime of the year.  Year after year.  You can come to the threads and find threads started by sellers experiencing slow sales.  It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Ebay, it just means the buyers are there for you right now.  We are entering the Holiday Season, so if you sell stuff suitable for gifts and stuff, you may see an uptick in your sales soon.  I hope that happens for you.  

Your sold items show you sell about 50 items a month if it is correct.  Sometimes it isn't.  You have about a dozen sales so far in October, so it would seem you are on track with what you have been doing.  Just an observation.  Maybe you sold less expensive items and that has been what has made it feel like you've sold less.  IDK, just merely a suggestion.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 59
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

You have a nice store with nice things(not for me), but nice. On eBay, I am a fan of free shipping and building that into the price. Why does an item have to be $29 and $10 for shipping when it could just be $39? It's psychological. My only other advice would be to list on multiple platforms as eBay has been denying sellers visibility. Lastly, the more you have for sale, the more you will sell. Good Luck.

Some buyer love Free Shipping so they don't have to do the math.  Many likely only purchase one item at a time from a seller so combined shipping isn't an issue for them.

For others they don't like Free Shipping, they want stated shipping because they purchase multiple items frequently enough and they want a discount on the shipping.  Then there are others that simply like it separately stated so they know how much it is.

It is a Mixed bag to be sure.  Some want free shipping and some don't.  Each seller just needs to decide for themselves what is best for them.

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

I am a fan of free shipping and building that into the price. Why does an item have to be $29 and $10 for shipping when it could just be $39?

As a buyer I hate free shipping and look for items with the highest shipping as long as the total cost (item price + s/h) are about the same. Since I live in a state that doesn't charge tax on the shipping portion many times it will determine who I buy from.

If a seller has $29 and $10 shipping my sales tax is $2.25

If a seller has $39 and free shipping my sales tax is $3.03

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

Great Point !!!

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

@aandrinventory ,

You have sold almost half of your current listings in the last 6 months. Many sellers on here would literally die for numbers like that. 

If you want that everyday I would suggest multiplying your listings by 7 times of similar items.

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Anytime of the year.  Year after year.  You can come to the threads and find threads started by sellers experiencing slow sales.  It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Ebay, it just means the buyers are there for you right now. 

I agree with you.

Why do some sellers take such offense to that notion?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 10 of 59
latest reply

There is no way I can prove this, but September of last year I remember reading a few posts about the new Fall update seemed to be affecting people's sales. The changes had not hit me yet until early October of last year and my sales went flat for about 7 to 10 and then all of sudden, they were moving again.

As of this past Wednesday (Oct. 4, 2023), my sales seem to have dropped. I have been able to sell 2 items since then.

Could there be another update rolling out right now?

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

Hook-and=the-loop wrote "I am a fan of free shipping and building that into the price. Why does an item have to be $29 and $10 for shipping when it could just be $39?"  I live on the east coast and free shipping would not work for me. For example if I build in a $10 shipping cost, that would work if I sold something on the east coast but I would lose money shipping to the west coast so I offer calculated shipping. I would love to offer free shipping but it doesn't make sense for me.

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

For whatever the myriads of potential reasons sales have fallen off the cliff.  I literally just signed up with "That other place" and if things don't change in a hurry here I'll be cancelling the storefront.

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

@aandrinventory 

Since you extensively use the "Best Offer" feature, you may wish to reconsider the settings that eBay has placed on your account.  Since ALL buyer IDs are now forcibly affected by this when making offers understand that it severely limits the options that a buyer can use to pay, and prohibits combining multiple items from the same seller for one shipping price. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

For example,  I really like your chalkware set.  I went to make an offer, and eBay requires I provide a default payment source in order to place that offer.   In the past, I would look to see what else you had for sale to make offers as well, now I won't bother.  

If you are not plagued with non-payers, text me scammers, and change of address scammers and know how to deal with them, then you may wish consider removing the block that discourages buyers that DO pay.  Or you can continue to limit your buyer pool any way you like. 

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

I agree that the OPs listings are simply outstanding.     I'm in awe of their photography.

I'd remove the Best offer on all the listings going into the Holiday season.   The prices are already 

reasonable IMO.

I also agree with the Price + shipping should be simply Price with shipping all ready 

added in.

Side note,   If I had the OP's sell thru rate, and inventory turnover,    I wouldn't be able to keep up.   6.7 

months to turn his inventory is fantastic.   

Message 15 of 59
latest reply