cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opened a request: they haven't received their item. Buyer claims I sent just the box.

Hello! I received the following message from ebay: 

"We want to let you know that your buyer opened a request because they haven’t received their item.

Here’s what you need to do: If you’ve already shipped the item to the buyer, just make sure you’ve uploaded tracking details that can confirm the item’s delivery to the buyer’s address.

If you can’t fulfill the order, please issue a refund to the buyer, and we’ll credit eligible fees to you as per our fee credit policy.

Please be sure to respond to your buyer’s request by Aug 3, 2023. After that date, if the request is still open we’ll help find a resolution. Keep in mind, if you don’t respond, there’s a chance it could affect your seller performance level."

The buyer claims that I sent only the product box, with no actual item inside. I most definitely did not.

What course of action should I take? I uploaded the tracking details as the message requested and messaged the buyer, but haven't heard back. I had USPS insurance for $1,000, and signature confirmation.

Is there anything I can do about this situation?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Buyer opened a request: they haven't received their item. Buyer claims I sent just the box.

It wasn't.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: Buyer opened a request: they haven't received their item. Buyer claims I sent just the box.

Sounds like the old 'box was empty' claim because it involves a phone. 

The package should have been tagged as damaged / open upon arrival. Did the buyer provide any such photos?

Was this an international shipment?

You should be okay with the tracking, signature required, and insurance. I would cut and paste the tracking / delivery history into the open case. Do everything you can to make sure you win the case. 

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I would report the buyer to eBay. I'm not how someone can open another case on the same item. If that is possible, then that may be a new issue for sellers and eBay to address internally.

Do you have a receipt from USPS when you shipped / dropped off that shows the weight of the package. It may help. I always wait for them to scan and give me a receipt. I just know if I don't, there will be an issue. 

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

I would report the buyer to eBay. I'm not how someone can open another case on the same item. If that is possible, then that may be a new issue for sellers and eBay to address internally.

It's always been possible to open a not as described case after opening an item not received case.   An item can be late, an INR opened, the item received, the INR closed and it be a SNAD.  Entirely possible, and legitimate.

It is NOT possible to do the opposite.  You can't say an item is SNAD, lose or close the case and then say you  never received it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

No, and the buyer isn't sending me any pictures upon request.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Select issue the label and accept the return.

Other notes:

I have found it helps to have RMA numbers to track these incidents.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Timeline of events:

I shipped the item with signature confirmation and insurance.

Buyer receives the package. They claim I shipped an empty product box with no phone, and opened an item not received case.

I won that case. Buyer opens a request to return the item; my funds are put on hold again. 

I asked him multiple times if he could send me images of the products that he did receive, as well as the shipping box. He hasn't responded.

I'm going to contact ebay again today.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

the buyer claimed he received an empty box. The seller said they shipped with tracking, insurance, and signature required. 

The buyer lost the case. Then opens a INAD case. That should not be possible because they first claimed they received an empty box. Now they are claiming they have the phone. 

We all know what the buyer is trying to do here. 

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

the buyer claimed he received an empty box. The seller said they shipped with tracking, insurance, and signature required. 

The buyer lost the case. Then opens a INAD case. That should not be possible because they first claimed they received an empty box. Now they are claiming they have the phone. 

We all know what the buyer is trying to do here. 

.    Exactly. If the OP accepts the return there is a good possibility that what they may receive back will actually be an empty box. Once again a cell phone someone is trying to run a scam on. Hopefully the seller had/has the IMEI number and can report it to the blacklist rendering the phone pretty much useless to the buyer. 

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@lodobazz wrote:

Timeline of events:

Buyer receives the package. They claim I shipped an empty product box with no phone, and opened an item not received case.

I won that case. Buyer opens a request to return the item; my funds are put on hold again. 

I asked him multiple times if he could send me images of the products that he did receive, as well as the shipping box. He hasn't responded.

Yup, sorry you drew the short straw and this is happening to you. I forget what the protocol is for USPS insurance as I never buy it anymore. But some insurances require receiver (buyer) cooperation in order to be processed. If you need that, you'll definitely need the buyer's help to receive the insurance payout.

All this NEEDS to be done by the time ebay will payout the buyer thru your SNAD return, ideally done before you actually have to accept the buyer's SNAD return (I think ebay gives you 4 days to accept).

Because we all know once the buyer gets his money, he ain't going to reply anymore to anything you send him if he isn't doing that already. So the insurance on the item can end up being useless. Ebay doesn't require buyers to help the seller and follow thru ANY insurance forms in order to get their money back. There's the main flaw to many insurance services as their grace periods before you can file a claim often is much longer than how quickly a buyer can get their money back thru MBG.

Lastly, do you have the option to send a less than full refund? If you do, you can at least retain 50% of the buyer's payment when you are forced to refund. Ebay thinks that's a satisfactory outcome for getting back an empty box returned to you. But all in all, it just results the buyer in having a phone at 50% off versus free. It's still a win to them.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@lodobazz wrote:

Timeline of events:

Yup, sorry you drew the short straw and this is happening to you. I forget what the protocol is for USPS insurance as I never buy it anymore. But some insurances require receiver (buyer) cooperation in order to be processed. If you need that, you'll definitely need the buyer's help to receive the insurance payout.

All this NEEDS to be done by the time ebay will payout the buyer thru your SNAD return, ideally done before you actually have to accept the buyer's SNAD return (I think ebay gives you 4 days to accept).

Because we all know once the buyer gets his money, he ain't going to reply anymore to anything you send him if he isn't doing that already. So the insurance on the item can end up being useless. Ebay doesn't require buyers to help the seller and follow thru ANY insurance forms in order to get their money back. There's the main flaw to many insurance services as their grace periods before you can file a claim often is much longer than how quickly a buyer can get their money back thru MBG.

Most USPS shipping comes with $100 of insurance coverage so you don't have to buy insurance unless your item exceeds that value. While USPS often does require the buyers cooperation in the case of damage it is not mandatory. I currently have two lost package claims open with USPS and I always let the buyer know that I have opened a claim with USPS since part of the information you are required to provide on the claim is the recipients name, address as well as letting USPS know that you have already refunded the buyer for the lost item. I let the buyer know that USPS may contact them regarding validation of information on the claim. 

Also advise the buyer that since this involves a potential transit theft that USPS may initiate an investigation regarding the receipt of a "empty box". If they are now claiming they have the item and are returning it you may want to open the box at the post office, and advise the buyer that you intend to do so,  where you can get a witness statement with regards to the contents of the package. 

Lastly, do you have the option to send a less than full refund? If you do, you can at least retain 50% of the buyer's payment when you are forced to refund. Ebay thinks that's a satisfactory outcome for getting back an empty box returned to you. But all in all, it just results the buyer in having a phone at 50% off versus free. It's still a win to them.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply