cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is scamming me - lying about item they received/requesting money/left negative feedback

A while ago, I sold a $1 error note. I checked the person's feedback which I don't usually do, and was surprised to see that the newbie (with 18 feedback comments) had left feedback for every transaction - except that 16 were negs, 1 was neutral, and 1 was positive.

I did not want to get a neg, especially because another buyer was causing problems and refusing to return their item, then gave me a neg because I 'didn't refund them' around that time.

So, I sent it off, nicely packaged with a note thanking them and asking them to let me know if they needed anything.

A few days ago, they opened a return saying that a PMG member checked it out and said that it was altered. I got the notes from a local bank (they save cool stuff for me).

I sent them a message and told them where I had gotten them from.

Spoiler

This morning, I got an email from PayPal saying that they sent me a money request for the amount. I see what they are trying to do - they want me to refund them through PP then they will follow up with the return and get two refunds.

Any suggestions? They haven't given me a neg, but I know that they will.

I'm done replying to them.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer is scamming me - lying about item they received/requesting money/left negative feedback

I would say report this buyer, and call CS and point out his pattern of feedback.  Get the buyer on their radar.  That is an extremely high percentage of bad feedback that he has left.  

Buyer can open a case for not as described, but it seems he does not want to go this route, hence the Paypal request for money.  You could instruct him to open a not as described case, and he might go away then.  But there are no guarantees.

I didn't click on anything that said spoiler as usually anything that needs to be said is posted in the Forum without that.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Buyer is scamming me - lying about item they received/requesting money/left negative feedback

I would say report this buyer, and call CS and point out his pattern of feedback.  Get the buyer on their radar.  That is an extremely high percentage of bad feedback that he has left.  

Buyer can open a case for not as described, but it seems he does not want to go this route, hence the Paypal request for money.  You could instruct him to open a not as described case, and he might go away then.  But there are no guarantees.

I didn't click on anything that said spoiler as usually anything that needs to be said is posted in the Forum without that.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

"I didn't click on anything that said spoiler as usually anything that needs to be said is posted in the Forum without that."

--------

Well, it's safe to click on Spoiler here on the eBay boards

and in this case, it's highly interesting

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

-Vint

Or you can go radio silent.  Maybe he will get the hint.  

Good Luck!

OP, LOVE your siggie!!!
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

@18704dwrote:

"I didn't click on anything that said spoiler as usually anything that needs to be said is posted in the Forum without that."

--------

Lynn

Ok, Lynn.  Just don't see that very often.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@18704dwrote:

--------

Lynn

OH, my, Lynn, yes, it surely is!  

OP, he is trying to intimidate you as you already know.  Don't let it get to you.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

well he is using real legal information...trying to scare you into refunding without a return I would assume.  I'm pretty sure if I had seen the negative feedback I would have just refunded and not completed the transaction...taken the defect for cancelling. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

The buyer cannot get two refunds.

Only one case at a time can be ongoing.

If the buyer tried to open an eBay case while a PayPal case was open, the eBay case would be closed.

The buyer is entitled to choose to open a case with PayPal.

f the buyer lost the PayPal case, they could open a case with eBay.

If the buyer lost both cases, they would be entitled to initiate a chargeback if payment was made with a card.

Rules of Engagement https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/m-p/26164369?nobounce=

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

@*eponymous*wrote:

If the buyer tried to open an eBay case while a PayPal case was open, the eBay case would be closed.

If the buyer lost both cases, they would be entitled to initiate a chargeback if payment was made with a card.

Rules of Engagement https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/m-p/26164369?nobounce=

The buyer is sending a Paypal request for a payment. Totally a different thing.  He's either been booted from the MBG or he's scamming to get a double refund.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

"well he is using real legal information...trying to scare you into refunding without a return I would assume. "

----------

We can't see the listing,

I wonder how much money we're talking about?  The selling price?

And, does it sound like the buyer is accusing the seller,

of illegally altering US currency?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@*eponymous*wrote:

don't think you read what was posted here. The buyer wanted him to SEND him money through paypal. THEN he would more than likely open up a case, and have ebay force an actual refund.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

WOW !!!! Unreal how this person is speaking to you and I personally would end all communications with him/her as they do not seem in the right mental state to continue to speak with.

Plus extortion for money is against the law in any state.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

It's the same process for a return since the buyer has opened an eBay case for return.  The OP seems to admit that the buyer's complaint is valid...

The PayPal money request can simply be ignored.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@*coinswrote:

A while ago, I sold a $1 error note. I checked the person's feedback which I don't usually do, and was surprised to see that the newbie (with 18 feedback comments) had left feedback for every transaction - except that 16 were negs, 1 was neutral, and 1 was positive.

I did not want to get a neg, especially because another buyer was causing problems and refusing to return their item, then gave me a neg because I 'didn't refund them' around that time.

So, I sent it off, nicely packaged with a note thanking them and asking them to let me know if they needed anything.

A few days ago, they opened a return saying that a PMG member checked it out and said that it was altered. I got the notes from a local bank (they save cool stuff for me).

I sent them a message and told them where I had gotten them from.

Spoiler

This morning, I got an email from PayPal saying that they sent me a money request for the amount. I see what they are trying to do - they want me to refund them through PP then they will follow up with the return and get two refunds.

Any suggestions? They haven't given me a neg, but I know that they will.

Tell the buyer ONCE  that he is welcome to open a case and return for a full refund, then go silent. Don't engage anymore, and certainly do not respond to any Paypal requests for money.

Report the buyer. You may want to follow up with a call to CS after you report online.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

@*eponymous*wrote:

The buyer isn't and hasn't opened a case.  The buyer sent a Paypal request for money, which is not the same thing as a case.  Buyer could then open a case and get two refunds if the seller sent money through the Paypal request for funds.  

Message 15 of 33
latest reply