cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer has refund and item refuses to pay me back w/o invoice which I can't produce.

Item number 265888397139 sold to buyer on September 21, shipped next day 9-22 via UPS 1Z14V5340329422467. Around 9-26 UPS had a hiccup, and the package went missing. Within a day of this occurrence the buyer contacted me claiming the package was supposed to be delivered and was not, on his own he called UPS and they told him to contact the sender (me) to report it lost. I told buyer I would follow up and did so trigging a lost item search by UPS on 9-28. I informed buyer I filed a claim with UPS and asked him to wait another 4 days to see if the item turned up and was delivered. He agreed. After 4 days the buyer asked for a refund, I complied and issued refund through eBay for 39.62 on 10/04.  I then asked buyer to do the right thing and to contact me if the package was subsequently delivered. On 10-17 I noticed the package was delivered to the buyer on 10/12 but he hadn't contacted me. I contacted buyer on the 17th requesting the item back or the money back. And of course, he claimed he was currently out of town on work related business and when he returned home on 10/19, he would see if he got the package. He added to send him an invoice. I tried to send an invoice and found it can't be done after a refund, so instead I sent a very detailed message with all the pertinent information and dates requesting he send payment to my PayPal account. I also sent a "request funds" through PayPal. He refuses to send payment claiming what I request is in violation of eBay rules. (Well, not a bad excuse for someone who signed on eBay in January 22. with 15 FB's).  I contacted eBay went through this whole scenario they claimed there wasn't much they could do but would send it up to the next level for investigation and it would take about 7 days. When Ebay answered the phone, they said thank you for your loyalty of 22 years, in closing with eBay I mentioned my loyalty time and asked them to contrast it to this buyer who only took 6 months to steal from a long-time member. 

Anyone have another solution on this incident?

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Buyer has refund and item refuses to pay me back w/o invoice which I can't produce.

Yes, you can either sue them in small claims court, or you can just walk away. There are NO other solution for you.

If you sue them in small claims, you will lose. You voluntarily refunded them, and did not recall your package. It's now considered a gift to the buyer. 

You live, you learn. 

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Solution:  move on.

sure, it would be great if he would send the money, but he doesn’t need to.  Maybe he already bought something similar because your item was so late?  

perhaps you should ask him if he will send back the item if you prepay the return shipping.   

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

To view ITEM NUMBER 265888397139, it has to be searched under sold items.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

@kut11,

You can try relisting the item, and change the title to say "For buyer-name". Then send them the item number for the new listing, and ask them to purchase it and pay for it again. If the buyer wants to do the right thing, then they will be able to.

There might be issues providing a tracking number for the delivery. You can try uploading the original tracking number again but that might not work. However, if the buyer wants to do the right thing, then they won't dispute the delivery.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

Hi, thanks for the response, you're a forward-thinking person. However, the buyer today claims he talked to eBay this morning 10-22 and they told him he has no obligation to pay. At least that is what he is now claiming.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@kut11 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the response, you're a forward-thinking person. However, the buyer today claims he talked to eBay this morning 10-22 and they told him he has no obligation to pay. At least that is what he is now claiming.

Because he DOESN'T have an obligation to pay. The buyer is correct. 

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Only a moral one. He was right you can't seek payment to Paypal outside Ebay channels. This is a UPS mess, but they won't help. They're horrible in customer service. I think you have to just eat it and move on.  

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

@kut11 wrote:

@kut11 

^^^ This is probably true. Although you've asked if others have another solution, you'll have to abide by eBay's decision.
Sorry this sale went sideways.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Correct ............  per the eBay transaction, and eBay policy, the buyer has no obligation to pay. eBay is done with it.

The buyer has a "moral" obligation to pay, and very possibly a "legal" obligation to pay, or return "outside of eBay", but no eBay obligation.

An honest/moral person would pay you via PP, or a payment through the mail with something such as a money order, or they would return the item.  None of this applies to a weasel.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

What a tool. Ebay is correct, the system just isn’t set up for this kind of forced corrective repayment so he’s off the hook. Moral character is a different discussion. I’d let it go. It bites, but your time and emotional energy are worth more than $35. Luckily this kind of thing is rare.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Correct ............  per the eBay transaction, and eBay policy, the buyer has no obligation to pay. eBay is done with it.

The buyer has a "moral" obligation to pay, and very possibly a "legal" obligation to pay, or return "outside of eBay", but no eBay obligation.

We don't have courts of moral opinions, we have courts of law. The seller refunded voluntarily, the buyer is under NO legal obligation for repayment. 

While I do agree morally, the buyer should either return the item at the sellers expense or repay the seller, there is no legal obligation to do so. We can't legislate morals, or enforce our personal opinions on others. 

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

@bill.purvis2012 wrote:

Only a moral one. He was right you can't seek payment to Paypal outside Ebay channels. This is a UPS mess, but they won't help. They're horrible in customer service. I think you have to just eat it and move on.  

The buyer was refunded and the case was closed so Ebay is no longer involved and has nothing to do with it now.

The OP can send an invoice through Pay Pal, but there's no way to make them pay.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@kut11 

As in this case, once a transaction goes south, and eBay is done with it, payment can be requested/made via PP.

Not a violation of eBay policy. Even a recommended solution from ebay "blues".

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

@kut11 

Add it to your deductions when you file your taxes.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 42
latest reply