cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer demanding compensation for shipping damage repairs (valid), after other accomodations offered

First time seller here, feeling foolish!

Recently sold a refurbished item that was 'not working' upon arrival. Buyer also did not have the proper equipment to use it so I offered additional support because I care about what I sell and the hobby. I thought it was possible that one of two wires had been knocked loose during shipping (easy fix with no technical experience) so I offered support to repair via video call to repair together which buyer declined. Buyer then shares photos of more extensive internal damage (one removable part).

I really want to make this right and I offered to pay for shipping to rebuild the damaged part (not commercially available) and buyer declines. Buyer takes purchase to a local shop and shares the assessment with me that the purchased item was damaged and that the repair would be extensive and probably expensive and wants me to pay in full (I disagree and offered to make buyer whole). When I offered the additional support over the phone, our correspondence has been through text message (will never do this again).

I have already been paid as this purchase took place 9/5, almost two months ago. I want to make this right but where does my responsibility end? I offered to pay for the damaged parts and to perform the labor myself. I do not think I should have to pay this other person to for unknown parts and labor.

Please help me understand my options here. Am I on the hook for this repair? Chargeback? I doubt the buyer can send the item back (my listing said no returns) because of the custom crates I built and the cost of shipping was "high*.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Buyer demanding compensation for shipping damage repairs (valid), after other accomodations offe

You do not have to pay for repairs -

Your no returns does not mean no refunds -

The buyer can file a not as described case with eBay. It may or may not go through.

You then have 2 choices to approve the return and send a label OR refund.

If the buyer used PayPal - they can return for a refund BUT Paypal will have them return the item first.

The option of a CC charge back is still there IF the buyer paid with a CC.

I would, at this point, only respond to the buyer - Please return for full refund.

I would not respond to anything else and I would stop giving the buyer "help"

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Buyer demanding compensation for shipping damage repairs (valid), after other accomodations offe

Has the buyer opened a case?  They have 30 days from the date received to open a NAD case (not as described).

If they have not, you are not obligated to do anything.

You may have a credit card charge back to deal with down the road though.

Is this about the JBL L100 Century Audiophile Hi-fi Speakers?

You can offer the buyer to return for a refund, but he pays shipping since the MBG has past.

Others may chime in to give you more information on how to handle this.

If they do return, you couldn't refund via eBay since too much time has passed, but you could via PayPal or by sending a check.

This is a tough one since it's well past the 30 day eBay money back guarantee.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

EBAY Money Back Guarantee (supersedes "no returns" policy and allows customer to return item by claiming "not as described, defective, counterfeit, broken".   If customer opened claim against within 30 days of DELIVERY (you would be forced to accept return and refund (purchase price + shipping BOTH ways).   Since it is past 30 days (you are in the clear).

You are not obligated to pay for repairs, however, customer can "reverse credit card payment" (usually they have 6 MONTHS to make a claim).   If they do that...customer gets to keep both your item and your money.   EBAY has no control over "credit card company" and will not help you.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Technically you don't need to do a return or refund since it is past the 30 day time frame with eBay.

But if you don't want to lose your item and money then I would do a return on the item. If they file with the credit card company or PayPal you are going to get shafted. 
No Return does not mean no refund if the item is not what they were expecting.

If it is a Scammer they look for expensive items that say No Return and then make bogus requests hoping a Seller will refuse to do anything so they get the item and the money back.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

If the delivery was over 30 days ago, you do not need to do anything further. It sounds like you already went above and beyond the responsibility of the seller in this case.

Buyers have 30 days to file a return through eBay. After that 30 days, they can still file the return, but the seller has the opportunity to decline the return. You should not refund/pay for repairs done by another person.

As for credit card charge backs, if the buyer files a charge back with their cc company, you must provide tracking that shows that you have shipped this to the same address that the buyer provided on the payment. I recommend challenging the dispute instead of accepting it. Contact eBay for the best way to handle a challenge. A good eBay rep will walk you through the process. You have seller protection, so eBay should work to help you keep your money.

Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

As for credit card charge backs, if the buyer files a charge back with their cc company, you must provide tracking that shows that you have shipped this to the same address that the buyer provided on the payment.

That proof is required for an item not received claim or purchase not recognized claim. It isn't relevant with an item not as described or damaged item claim.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Any sane buyer will open a credit card chargeback dispute and will probably win.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for your help everyone! I got my timeline mixed up and it looks like the buyer still has two days to file a NAD claim, which I will accept if it's filed, since it doesn't seem like I'll have any recourse there. I have reached out and offered a refund for a return and will eat the cost. Against probably everyones better judgement and in an attempt to show goodwill, I again offered to repair the single smaller part, but the buyer does not seem interested so they can return their purchase. I suspect they no longer have the custom crates and packing material, sufficient to send 2x 70lb boxes across the country.

They're insisting that I pay for repairs still, so I don't know if they'll initiate the return within the 30 day window but I'm prepared to eat the cost of return shipping if so. I will probably not be using this platform again to sell things like this after this headache.

Really great and helpful community here though, which is very appreciated in a stressful time, so thanks again!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If the delivery was over 30 days ago, you do not need to do anything further. It sounds like you already went above and beyond the responsibility of the seller in this case.

Buyers have 30 days to file a return through eBay. After that 30 days, they can still file the return, but the seller has the opportunity to decline the return. You should not refund/pay for repairs done by another person.

As for credit card charge backs, if the buyer files a charge back with their cc company, you must provide tracking that shows that you have shipped this to the same address that the buyer provided on the payment. This only applies in the case of an INR claim it means little in the face of a NAD.

I recommend challenging the dispute instead of accepting it. Probably not the best advice since the odds of the seller prevailing in the face of a NAD chargeback are slim. If the seller challenges the chargeback odds are they will get hit with a $20 fee from the CC company, loose the chargeback and the buyer will not be required to return the item. 

Contact eBay for the best way to handle a challenge. A good eBay rep will walk you through the process. EBay customer support is abysmal these days unless you go through the facebook connection. The regular CS will tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone, this includes lying to you. 

You have seller protection, so eBay should work to help you keep your money. Sellers have little protection on eBay and eBay is not concerned with sellers "keeping" their money. EBay's concern is eBay's bottom line. 

Hope this helps!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I would hold your ground. You stated sale took place on 9/5. Now the buyer is claiming an issue. 

You should be protected by eBay even if the buyer files a claim with C.C. I think eBay and C.C. companies are keeping notes of these claims to fight back future fraud / abuse.  

What exactly was the item and value? 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@wananaghost wrote:

I have already been paid as this purchase took place 9/5, almost two months ago. I want to make this right but where does my responsibility end? 

If it indeed has been two months your responsibilities are over. Buyer cannot even leave negative feedback now.

You can instruct them to have it fixed without implying you are going to pay for it and then do nothing. If they open a chargeback and they paid with paypal they are on the hook for return shipping and I doubt they will want to ship  a serviced item back to you.

If the do open a chargeback and did not use paypal, it is possible you will not get the item back.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply