cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I find ebay highly discriminating

I am in the sutuation that a buyer asked for a refund stating the item is damage as The reason but than stating that actually the item does not fit her. Ebay blocked my funds straigh away but one agent told me that of course is ubfair that the buyer gave a misleading reason.

After waiting for my item to be return while the buyer did not reply I contacted again an agent. Just to be told that the buyer has 10 days to return or respond while me as a seller have less. When asked why I was answered that ebay thinks that the buyer is less experienced than the seller. I find it totalky ofending and discriminating, iljnethical at the same time for such a big company to assume someone is better than other. Not to mention thatbon this platform i am not onky a seller but also a buyer and probably the same is the person that bought from me. Nevertheless I was told that ebay also sent notifications to the buyer with no reply. Of course ebay is keeping my money blocked alongside with the fees I paid them for the transaction. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Why were you contacting EBay? Is there a problem with the return you are processing? Do you have a specific question or problem that forum members can assist you with?

You might consider addressing the UK boards. This is the .com site. Policies may vary from country to country.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Buyers don't have to reply, all they have to do is open the case then wait for it to be approved.

As far as the buyer being less experienced then the seller, most buyers are, especially newer ones.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@lucyg* 

All buyers have a 30 day money back guarantee.  They don't need a reason to return it.  You need to accept the return and when you receive the item back, refund them.  Your word "discriminating" doesn't apply & is unfounded. 

This is business,  not personal. 

Here's a link that can better advise you:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Sorry for your situation. Internet sales are not for everyone. 

Welcome to business.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I think ebay telling me that they think I am more experienced than the buyer just because I am a seller is categorized as discrimation and unfairness. What if I am less experinced? And it is not about money back..it is about a buyer that did not even dispatched my item after more than 7 days,...that does not reply to my messages nor to ebays notifications. About the fact that me as a seller I was given 3 days to accept the refund and the buyer is given 10 days to dispatch the item. Are not living on the same earth? Are we not using the same postal services? Where does the assumed difference come from between a seller and a buyer?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Because they blocked my funds and after 7 days the buyer did not even dispatch my item. Not answering my messages. And the ebay agent said the buyer does not reply to their notifications either...and still here I am with my item gone my money blocked and being told Ebay thinks that sellers are more experienced than buyers that is why buyers are given more time. And do have that conversation script and sceen shots

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Let's not forget everyone does not speak and write in the King's English as well.

Just because you sold something in UK from UK doesn't mean the buyer reads and writes English.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@lucyg* 

Again, it is not discrimination.  You don't accept returns.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  My guess is that either you did not educate yourself about the 30 day Money Back Guarantee & this is the result.  Either you didn't know about it or you simply chose to ignore it. 

It's important to stay informed on this and all selling platforms if you continue to sell.   It's NOT discrimination.  It's their view concerning with your selling behavior & your no returns policy which didn't fly. 

It's business.   Big difference.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Another thing nobody has touched on yet... the buyer's Return dispatch time. It's way longer than 7 or 10 days. (It's like Forever + 1 Day.) It does seem that CSRs should know that... sorry for your angst.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Another thing nobody has touched on yet... the buyer's Return dispatch time. It's way longer than 7 or 10 days. (It's like Forever + 1 Day.) It does seem that CSRs should know that... sorry for your angst.

it's 21 calendar days...

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Yup, buyers get longer to return than we get to reply, or refund, but that's the way it is.

Buyer may have 15 or more business days to return.

If they do not ship within that time, funds on hold will be released.

Experience has nothing to do with it, and unknown why a CSR would even touch on that subject

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

You might consider addressing the UK boards. This is the .com site. Policies may vary from country to country.

It's easy to end up here unknowingly. There's been a bug/bugssss on .uk for months where sometimes when you click a link and it jumps over to .com . Then of course if you select help / community..............here you are.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Ebay treats each and every seller the same when it comes to this. It's quite literally the polar opposite of discrimination. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

On ebay I am both a seller and a buyer...probably same goes for my buyer...he is a seller too. I live in UK and ebay should adhere to the following and train their customer service agents "direct discrimination - treating someone with a protected characteristic less favourably than others." We as sellers are paying huge fees and should not be treated like this.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

direct discrimination - treating someone with a protected characteristic less favourably than others.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply