cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims item is broken and wants a refund, suggestions?

I recently sold a computer speaker set with sub woofer (Logitech Z3) for $29.99 + shipping. The item was posted as tested and fully functional; before posting I used the speakers to test several receivers and they worked great. The customer is claiming that they are not working properly, that the "speakers are blown or something" and wants a refund. I can only guess that the customer might have hooked them up to a powerful amp and accidently blown them out. I typically do not offer returns however obviously should he open a case this would be considered as the item not being as described so I don't really have a choice.

Here is my dilemma, if I have the buyer mail be back the speakers; then I am left having to refund the purchase, the original, and the return shipping. So in the end I’d be out the both shipping charges and end up throwing the speakers in the trash. My other issue is that as this account is still quite new and one negative feedback will really have a profound impact... so I'm nervous to really challenge or ask much of the buyer.

So... in this specific situation I'm quite sure that my best route in this transaction is to eat the loss, NOT have him mail back the speakers, and just issue a refund. That way it will at least not end up costing more money out of my pocket.

However obviously something similar can happen with an item from just about any category... so what can I do going forward to best protect myself from situations such as this.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Buyer claims item is broken and wants a refund, suggestions?

You are a new seller, so I can understand you wanting to protect your account.

But telling her to keep the item, while cost effective, could put a target on your back as a doormat.

IMO, I would tell her to return it for a refund.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Tough one. If you do refund, at least report the buyer (with details) and hopefully establish/supplement a record if they are scammers. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I'm a huge fan of Logitech's mice, but their audio equipment is cheap garbage.  When I worked at Best Buy and Staples, that was the one thing we had returned the most, or the one thing people complained about not lasting long.  I'm leaning towards the buyer on this one only because I am quite familiar with this brand.  Plus, you never know what could happen in shipping.  One hard jostle or fall, and it really could damage internal components.  Just ask them to open a case, and you issue them a label.  I know, it sucks.  But this is the best way to protect your account.  As others say, "you will not always win, this is the cost of doing business, yada yada yada."  It won't be like this forever.  Your first 4 months are the roughest.  Hang in there.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Never issue a refund without the buyer returning the item.  Doing so only encourages less than honest buyers to abuse eBay's pathetic return and moneback gaurantee policies.  Theres is a chance that the speakers are just fine and the buyer simply changed their mind, or found something cheaper after the sale.  At the very least, you'll still have the working sub.  

As to what you can do to protect yourself going forward?  Absolutely nothing, other than no longer selling through ebay, or only offering local pick up.  eBay is only concerned with protecting buyers, including the dishonest ones and the outright scammers.  There's no longer any seller protection here at eBay, no matter what eBay or its shills here in the message boards claim.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply