cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business is Slow

This is the worst month I have ever had. What is going on? Are other sellers experiencing the same? 

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Business is Slow

I should also mention that in my 22 year ebay experience - each year has not been worst than the last.  The downward spiral for me only began in 2021 which was nowhere near as bad as 2022. 

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

Nope, business as usual for me. Little slower than the norm but that's to be had given everything going on in the world right now and the economy but I'm actually up month over month and year over year. I have also made a lot of changes and have been sourcing items with higher sell thru rates. This has made an astronomical difference in traffics/sales. If you are sourcing good items that people want with great sell thru rates and listing them at good prices with great policy's, then you shouldn't be slow. If business is slow for you then it's on you to fix that, no eBay.

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

lol, their is nothing wrong with the platform. YOU need to fix YOUR problems. eBay provides TRAFFIC. eBay does NOT provide sales. If you are listing things that people don't want then don't expect to have any sales. It's really that simple. Just taking a quick look at your listings, over a dozen can be found cheaper elseware and the sell thru rates on them are under 10%, which means it's going to take you forever to even sell 1. It also doesn't help that some of your prices are to high. You should go back and do a massive audit on your store and research every single item you have listed.

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

Depends? How much effort do you want to put in? Are you going to source and list items that people want and that are in demand? Are you going to list items with great sell thru rates at great prices? YOU need to make that decision. eBay only provides the traffic, YOU need to execute the sale.

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

The long tail collectibles market is vastly different from clothing especially with "everything going on in the world right now and the economy".    I've never sold things with high sell thru rates because most of my "inventory" is not "sourced" - it is items no longer wanted by family or previous owners.   It is rare that I buy anything to sell on ebay.   

And yet strangely enough things weren't all that slow on ebay until very recently as noted before.  Just because you haven't been impacted by ebay's manipulations does not mean that others have not.

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

Yes, our sales have been slow but those who buy seem to be paying higher prices. So, less work, same income.

Weekdays have been very slow, but weekends much better. Unfortunately, the Christmas buying is about over as people get nervous about receiving their items on time.

But our sales usually increase in January through March - probably people buying themselves gifts they didn't get under the tree, lol. 

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

@brians2625 wrote:

This is the worst month I have ever had. What is going on? Are other sellers experiencing the same? 

Yes, every day of every week of every month of every year of every decade that these boards have existed.  Especially for small sellers sales fluctuate.

Given that you're selling shoes as a lot of your stock, you're actually doing well.  People don't tend to purchase a lot of used stuff in the holiday run-up, and were shopping early this year.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 44
latest reply

My December sales totals really picked up in the last 10 days THANKFULLY!!! 

Last year I had $3457 in sales (not incl shipping, taxes, etc).  So far this month $2011. Probably won't reach last year's total, but believe you me, I AM SO GRATEFUL for every dollar!  This year has been fraught with some of my worst sales months in 9 years on eBay.

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

So explain how eBay manipulated you into not sourcing items that sell better than stuff that is "no longer wanted by family or previous owners". It's not eBays problem that your sales are slow, that's your problem. All that eBay does is provide traffic. That's it. It's your job to provide a great item at a great price with great customer service. To say that eBay is manipulative is asinine. Do better.

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

Absolutely!

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

Amazon was bonkers this Dec, racked up my biggest sales ever. I pulled back here to focus on there (I sell books and media). I am now working on ramping back up here. 

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

I am a recycler - looking for new homes for vintage and used items.  I've sold a wide variety of previously owned - supposedly no longer wanted items - as well as new handcrafted items made by family members  on eBay for 22 years and at flea markets and in a brick and mortar store for 28 years before that.   I've also sold books on Amazon and recycled items on a half dozen other sites with less traffic than ebay usually generated. 

For me ebay is not generating anywhere near the traffic that it did just a couple of years ago on any of my accounts - nor were my listing pages ever so full of items from other sellers when they did appear in search - many irrelevant to what I was listing.   As a buyer - I no longer use ebay search - I use Google because Google usually returns items based on the exact keywords I enter first - not just one of the keywords. 

There is nothing wrong with my customer service nor my prices which I research before ever listing an item.   In fact I have come to the conclusion that my prices are possibly too low since higher priced items are often more likely to sell first.    What I consider a "great" item is something not found in large quantities elsewhere - something I also research before listing.    I donate most clothing and with a few exceptions the more common items to charity thrift stores rather than list them on ebay.     

I find the thank you notes I receive for replacing a child's favorite toy that was lost, an heirloom that was broken, a piece of fabric that was discontinued, or adding to a collection far more rewarding than the money which is donated to charity anyway.   Anything I can keep out of a landfill is worth the effort.  Through the years I have often found a bag or box of "treasures" on my doorstep left anonymously rather than set out for the trash man.   My van is always available to haul larger unwanted items to the thrift stores. 

I transitioned from a business to a hobby six years ago except as far as the IRS is concerned - they still get their cut of my sales.   But as ebay has become more manipulative (yes, they have)  and focused on their bottom line rather than their users  and the functionality of their site - I will downsize and likely fade off into the sunset within the new year. 

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

Yes. Welcome to eBay where nothing is too successful to "fix" and destroy. 

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

Hi YES this is the worst December i have ever known,  gone from 1000 sales per month to 80 sales in 19 days,  combined that with royal mail not delivering but still taking your money has made for a appalling month. have never given so many refunds of items not arrived.   will be interesting to see what January brings  

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

No. Sales have been fine for me.

Message 30 of 44
latest reply