cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Selling Practices for Local Pickup Only Auctions.

I've sold 1000's of widgets on Ebay but I've never done a local pickup only auction. What are the best selling practices?:

1. Should I insist on cash upon pickup or Paypal shortly after time of purchase. (PP IPR doesn't look like an option)

2. How can I enforce cash upon pickup if Ebay forces me to choose an electronic payment method for the listing?

3. Is it reasonable to ask for a good faith PP deposit prior to pickup of the item.

What are your best known selling practice recommendations for this style of selling?

TIA

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@davefr_98 wrote:
Yes, but my question really hasn't been answered. Let me ask it a different way.
I understand I can ask for cash but if the buyer wants to use Paypal how and when do they pay me?What do I ask them to do?
(ie)
- Send Paypal payment right after they complete the buy it now?
- At some other pre-arranged time prior to pickup?
- At the time and place of pickup over cell phone apps?

BEFORE they pick up the item.  And make sure the payment is cleared before releasing the item to them.  You will be able to see that on your PP account.  But you don't need to state any of that in your listing.  You can cover it when they contact you to make arrangements for pick up.  You should discuss payment method.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@davefr_98 wrote:

What are your best known selling practice recommendations for this style of selling?

There are so many good threads on local pickup--and so many bad ones! 

You can do a search of the discussion boards by using the search field in the blue banner above. I'd probably change the default from "This board" to "Community," but that's up to you. Then just search for "local pickup." Make sure you sort the results by date (newest first) to increase your chances of getting the latest information.

I'd start with a couple of fairly recent threads (both 2019) that contain a lot of information. Please, please, please be sure you focus on the posts by eBay staff, because, like any thread on social media, there are posts that contain misleading or flat-out false statements (which the eBay staff attempt to correct or clarify). 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/My-First-Local-Pick-Up-Insisted-on-Paying-with-PayPal-Ahead-of...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-requests-phone-number-immediately-texted-by-20-strangers...

After reading up on it, just post any questions in this thread, and someone will be along to answer them for you. Good luck!

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

"2. How can I enforce cash upon pickup if Ebay forces me to choose an electronic payment method for the listing?"

You can't.

You can say that is what you prefer but the buyer can pay with paypal before they pick-up, leaving you no choice.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@ohnojoey wrote:

"2. How can I enforce cash upon pickup if Ebay forces me to choose an electronic payment method for the listing?"

You can't.

You can say that is what you prefer but the buyer can pay with paypal before they pick-up, leaving you no choice.

You cannot force cash only. You have to accept Paypal if the buyer pays/wants to pay that way. However, according to Trinton you can state in your ad that special consideration will be given to cash. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sold-another-local-pickup-only-item-and-local-buyer-paid-with/...

"Comments such as, "I will cancel a PayPal payment for local pickup," is not acceptable, but "Cash is preferred for local pickup and may factor into my consideration of a Best Offer" would be fine, as it is along the same lines as "I offer combined shipments and Best Offers for multiple items are encouraged""

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Assuming the buyer wants to pay via Paypal upon pickup, and after inspecting the item, how exactly do they do it?  Do we stand in the driveway while they make payment on their phone and I confirm it on my phone?

Or should I simply say Paypal at time of order (or prior to pickup) or Cash upon inspection/pickup.

I'd love to see an example of a very well constructed local pickup only listing.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@davefr_98 wrote:

Assuming the buyer wants to pay via Paypal upon pickup, and after inspecting the item, how exactly do they do it?  Do we stand in the driveway while they make payment on their phone and I confirm it on my phone?

Or should I simply say Paypal at time of order (or prior to pickup) or Cash upon inspection/pickup.

I'd love to see an example of a very well constructed local pickup only listing.

You cant force that either.  Besides, you are asking your buyer to tie their money up not once but twice.  Did you have an opportunity to review the threads provided to you from a couple of the posters?

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Yes, but my question really hasn't been answered. Let me ask it a different way.
I understand I can ask for cash but if the buyer wants to use Paypal how and when do they pay me?What do I ask them to do?
(ie)
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@davefr_98 wrote:
(ie)

You have to have PP accepted on your listing.  That you have no choice.  You can note that you prefer cash on delivery.  You don't have to do anything additional on your listing regarding PP as it will be automatically shown as an option for payment.

If the buyer pays with PP, then you have the money before they even come to pick it up.  Paying with PP usually doesn't present a problem since for an item that gets picked up, the buyer doesn't have any protection on PP.  

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

OK, so I'll ask for Cash at time of pickup or Paypal payment within 48 hrs of Buy It Now. (Buyer's choice.) I'll give the buyer 7 days to arrange pickup of the widget.

(Ebay doesn't give me the option of selecting Immediate Payment Required for local pick up.)
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@davefr_98 wrote:
(ie)

BEFORE they pick up the item.  And make sure the payment is cleared before releasing the item to them.  You will be able to see that on your PP account.  But you don't need to state any of that in your listing.  You can cover it when they contact you to make arrangements for pick up.  You should discuss payment method.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@davefr_98 wrote:
OK, so I'll ask for Cash at time of pickup or Paypal payment within 48 hrs of Buy It Now. (Buyer's choice.) I'll give the buyer 7 days to arrange pickup of the widget.

(Ebay doesn't give me the option of selecting Immediate Payment Required for local pick up.)

I wouldn't put that about PP, but that is your choice to make.  

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

I wouldn't do it.
Unless you d can document --online -- that the item was paid for and delivered to the buyer, as far as ebay is concerned you did not do your job as the a seller.
And you don't deserve to get paid.
If you let your item get picked up -- not deliverd by a carrier and paid for through a payment processing service, you are dependent on the honesty of the buyer.
Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@webuyitt wrote:
I wouldn't do it.
Unless you d can document --online -- that the item was paid for and delivered to the buyer, as far as ebay is concerned you did not do your job as the a seller.
If you let your item get picked up -- not deliverd by a carrier and paid for through a payment processing service, you are dependent on the honesty of the buyer.

Please read the threads linked in previous posts to learn how to correctly process a local pickup transaction. You'll find that your concerns are addressed in those threads. 

For example, you stated:

"Unless you d can document --online -- that the item was paid for and delivered to the buyer, as far as ebay is concerned you did not do your job as the a seller."

eBay's response in one of the linked threads:

"5. Is tracking required for protection in an item not received claim related to local pickup?

No, tracking would not be needed. If the listing has local pickup as a "shipping method" and the buyer selects this, there would be no tracking expected. Likewise, if it is clear in the messages that the buyer and seller arrange local pickup, no tracking would be needed for an item not received case."

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

First principle of selling:

If they haven't paid you for the item, you haven't sold anything. Why worry about what to do, say, or jump from a cliff or not. 

I've done it in the past, I have a PP notice of payment, I get ready to deliver it once they come home. I won't deliver, that's the reason I chose pick up option, to save $ on shipping and saving time for the buyer. 

Oh, I print a copy of the notice of sale. Make them sign it, done deal. 

latest reply

@webuyitt wrote:
I wouldn't do it.

Your assuming stuff without looking into what you are saying.

But you are right, doing listings with items to be picked up only isn't for everyone.  I'm with you on that one.  I wouldn't do it either.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply