cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged double for shipping label

I just realized that when I print a label on eBay, that eBay charges for the label as they should, but I am also being charged by Paypal.  This has been happening since July 5th.  I seldom use Paypal so didn't catch it till the money I had in Paypal ran out and it was being charged to my bank as a backup payment.  Has anyone else run into this problem and how did they solve it?  Don't know if I need to contact eBay or Paypal or both.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Being charged double for shipping label

My kneejerk reaction is to scroll to the bottom of the label page and tick that the payment comes from 'My funds' instead of 'PayPal'. Usually, it will be your new default... but check it with each label. Good luck.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I did that and it is to come from my funds, which it does, but from Paypal also.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@dad2mjmj wrote:

I did that and it is to come from my funds, which it does, but from Paypal also.

@dad2mjmj 

I've not heard of that glitch. Do you mean you were checking it every time before? Or did you just now tick it? 🤔

I know that if I'd truly been charged twice, I'd be reaching out to eBay about every single double-charged order.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@dad2mjmj wrote:

I just realized that when I print a label on eBay, that eBay charges for the label as they should, but I am also being charged by Paypal.

Not sure I am following this - but you should see eBay charging the BUYER for the label (unless you are offering free shipping) so that would be part of his payment TO you. Then when you ship you purchase the label and (in your case) the money comes out of your Paypal account.

So in other words Ebay is charging the buyer Shipping on behalf of you. Then you buy the label - and you can use either the pending funds from the buyer or a balance of your own in Paypal. Its your choice that you make at the bottom of the Shipping form. Whichever funding source you use (Pending funds or Paypal balance) will remain in effect until you decide to change it to the other.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I have only been charged by PayPal for the actual shipping USPS labels. From what I have seen so far, eBay hasn't also been charging for the shipping labels. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Not saying it can't happen, but it sounds almost logistically impossible....

You are sure you are looking on your transactions page under payments and seeing these "payouts" for ebay shipping labels:

https://www.ebay.com/mes/transactionlist

!ebay-label-payments-1.jpg

and the same transactions (date, time, amount) appear on your paypal account under "Payments to ebay shipping"?

The amount on your order details appear whether you use paypal or ebay payments to pay.....

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

You arent being charged 2 times.. Ebay used to save it to where you could pay with your available funds.. now everytime you print a label, you have to choose at the bottom of the page where the funds come out of.. its stupid.. they need to have a way to save the selection so you dont have to select it each sale..  see the pic i attached where at the bottom of the page it shows what to select for where the funds come out of for that label..  If you are being charged 2 times youll see a charge on your payments page for the label on ebay, and check your paypal, youll see the charge there too, but i doubt thats happening.   as i just checked mine, and i thought my labels i print on ebay were also coming out of my funds available, but they were not, they were also being charged to my paypal.. Now i know to change that every time i print a label.  Screenshot (44).png

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Since I almost never used Paypal I didn't realize it was being charged until all the money was spent and I received and email saying the funds came out of my bank.  That is when I logged into Paypal and saw what had happened.  I plan on calling eBay tomorrow when hopefully someone can help me.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Because your listing have "free shipping" (no EBAY funds are available for labels) and you must use PAY PAL for payment of labels.   You mentioned that your PAY PAL account "ran out of money" so EBAY deducted money from your bank account.   That is how it is supposed to work (because your PAY PAL account ran out of money...EBAY will take money from your bank account.

Under normal circumstances...EBAY will "hold back money for labels" so you have "pending funds available" to print labels.  

$20 purchase price

$ 5 shipping (this amount would be fund so you have "pending funds available" when you print label).

Payout would be $20 purchase price minus EBAY selling fees.

$25 purchase price

FREE SHIPPING

Payout would be $25 minus EBAY selling fees.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

everytime you print a label, you have to choose at the bottom of the page where the funds come out

When this first started I chose to have the shipping deducted from ebay funds.  I've never had to change that or choose again.    I also chose the backup method to pay......if no ebay funds were available.........and never had to change that......

As said, if fund aren't available from ebay funds, ebay will run thru the list until there is money available to pay.....and there have been times when they've charged my bank account (my choice of secondary payment method) when there were no ebay funds to draw from. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

If you don't have any examples to show/tell an ebay CSR, you are wasting your time calling them. They do not have access to your Paypal account.....you need to "show" them the "duplicate" / "double" charges.....

You are not accidentally confusing this readout (from details page) and assuming this is from managed payments or paypal? That number could either be MP or Paypal as the funding source......

!ebay-label-payments-2.jpg

also, as an afterthought....you may be seeing adjustments/charges to previous shipments that may have been calculated wrong from previous orders. (but normally, that would come from your available funds first, then your funding source second, then paypal....i think)

Just saying be prepared to show them 'proof' of these duplicate payments for labels.......if they are happening as you are saying, they have to be dated and timed the same.....(at PP and MP)

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

a screen shot from the sellers hub "transactions" showing that you paid at eBay will go a long way in confirming that you were charged by eBay for the labels.

Until then, I am skeptical.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I believe that that you have set PAYPAL as the source for payment for the shipping labels. When the funds ran out , it went into the bank.  I doubt if you were double charged.  Look at the breakdown of each item you sold and what the fees were.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

DUMP PAYPAL NOW

Message 15 of 15
latest reply