cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad news for the naysayers

Ebay stock hit a new high today of $80.60  It is there at this moment, 12:14pm PDT 10/22/2021.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Bad news for the naysayers

@heckofagame wrote:

I think eBay should offer a stock option to sellers via managed payments. You know, where we can divert a portion of our weekly sales to buying stock. 

@heckofagame 

Why do you need MP to have this option.  You can go and buy stock in Ebay anytime you want without MP.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 57
latest reply

In my category, which was greatly increased from 4% FVF to 9.15% when we were forced onto Managed Payments, we had to maintain our pricing to be competitive.  That coupled with the loss of cash flow due to Managed Payments and its Daily Payout (which are really three days a week) our gross profit has decreased on the eBay side of our business.  The return policy has also decreased profits.  The lack of any Seller protection has also decreased profits.  The loss of FVF being refunded on partial refunds is really a dig into profits.  All of these losses were compounded with FVF being charged on sales tax which started with Managed Payments.

We were a $2.4mil business on eBay.  Due to their greed and lack of respect for good Sellers (we have been selling on the site for 21 years) the decision to move to other sites was implemented.  We currently sell $400k on the site and are working to leave completely. eBay represents around 20% or our business and 90% of our problems.   Real business people doing volume business can't put up with policy changes weekly.  With partners like eBay no business can continue to make a ligit profit.

Stock prices are mostly glitz in todays market.  Its promotion, not real profits, that drive a stock price, usually with smoke and mirrors.

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

This is a great idea and a way to hold Sellers and some pay back for all the crazy disruptive programs they have dumped on Sellers.  Stock options are way better then just purchasing stock as you suggest.  Options are at a discount for future stock purchase or sale.  This was a great idea.  However eBay will never respond to a great idea.

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

You are 100% correct.

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

eBay's total focus is to extract every penny of their existing Sellers in fees and services.  They won't go after increasing the acquisition of new Buyer's, that is something they have no clue how to do and customer acquisition costs are high.

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

Good answer, no one ever considers inflation which is the key in killing an economy.

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

You have every right to be upset by the significant increase in the FVF for Coins and paper money.  I have no idea why Ebay chose that route and I don't blame you for moving those listings elsewhere.  I hope it all works out for you.

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

So? eBay is making money...they have thousands of members buying and selling every day.

That's nice...for those who have enough extra money to play with investments.

That does not change the mess they caused sellers with the latest update. 

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

@newlifeforoldstuff2 wrote:

So? eBay is making money...they have thousands of members buying and selling every day.

That's nice...for those who have enough extra money to play with investments.

That does not change the mess they caused sellers with the latest update. 

Ebay has over 19 million active sellers worldwide and about 7-8 million of those are US active sellers.  They also have well over 150 million active buyers.

I don't think anyone has started discussing issues created by an update, that isn't what the thread was created for.  But I know there are some other threads already created on the subject, you might find some information there.

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

NAY!

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

the consignment split is 50/50 and the item is with the non-profit consignment store for 90 days.

The important words here are non-profit.

If the business is required to make money beyond rent, utilities, and payroll, they have to make tough decisions on rates.

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

Fully realize the implications of a non-profit and I am glad I have one close and have that option. They also support a very good cause so I generally do not pickup the item after the 90 days and simply take the write off. 

Message 57 of 57
latest reply