cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad news for the naysayers

Ebay stock hit a new high today of $80.60  It is there at this moment, 12:14pm PDT 10/22/2021.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Bad news for the naysayers

And BTW - I am not a cheerleader.  I am as honked as anyone.  We committed to inventory over 15 months ago and have significant dollars invested in this chaotic mess called e-bay.

Expecting e-Bay to "fail" over losing small sellers, changing trajectories, etc?  No.  There is a reason none of this is subtle changes.  Seismic.  

Personally, I just want my lifeboat to still be intact and stop taking on water.  Remains to be seen.  My guess is that many of us are closer to being taken out by the next big wave(s) than we think.  

The sweet scent of the money over rules the stench of the low roars from the peanut galley.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 16 of 57
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Who wouldn't like to watch a giant self-implode ?!

It will be spectacular !

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

As some of us have said PL is change, that sellers fund that is helping.

"....eBay’s strength across Promoted Listings is expected to have continued aiding its momentum across sellers on the back of data-driven recommendations in the third quarter. Also, the solid promoted listings momentum is likely to have contributed well to the performance of the company’s advertisement business."

We are part of eBay's advertising business, which means paying for better visibility is clearly part of their business model.  I do think the PL is designed to maintain revenue as the marketplace likely tops out at some point. I would much rather see eBay truly focused on buyer growth. Buyer growth means more sales and FVF should be the most revenue rich stream. MPs will also have a positive impact this quarter as at least in the US that conversion is likely complete and rolling out elsewhere. Again. more sales also fuels revenue through MP.

Likely a good 1/4 but keep an eye on overall volume vs last year and what eBay says about Q4 and 2022

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

Of course that is little help to you since you don't own any shares.

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

Stock prices go up and down all the time and most companies have hit new highs with regards to their stock prices. You have to look at more than just the price per share when you are calculating ROI. Over the past year their stock price has increased by 49.82% from $53.34 per share to today's new high of $80.59 per share or a 1 year increase of $26.80 per share. 

They are due to release their 2021 third quarter financial reports on 27 October lets see what the price does after that release. Back in April their stock price dropped by 10% after they released their second quarter financials and the company reported an earnings outlook for the current quarter that fell short of Wall Street’s estimates. However they are not alone in the ecommerce industry. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/ebay-stock-drops-more-than-11percent-after-giving-light-earnings-gui... 

Message 20 of 57
latest reply

Bad news for the naysayers

Ebay stock hit a new high today

That would only apply to naysayers who were talking about the stock price. 

Message 21 of 57
latest reply

Fun fact: with inflation it takes more dollars to equal the same value.

eBay is not worth more, the dollar is worth less.  

Message 22 of 57
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby @Anonymous 

Because the doom and gloom crew is comprised of unhappy people, who want all to be miserable.  They are toxic.

Message 23 of 57
latest reply

You really miss the point.  eBay stock at $80 means they have boosted their bottom line, by extracting more fees from Sellers.  That is the only way investors will continue to prop up their stock.  You must feel real proud of making less money.  Think

Message 24 of 57
latest reply

I don't know what people expect. Ebay provides a service. They charge for that service. It's simple. 

Message 25 of 57
latest reply

@allthingssurplus wrote:

You really miss the point.  eBay stock at $80 means they have boosted their bottom line, by extracting more fees from Sellers.  That is the only way investors will continue to prop up their stock.  You must feel real proud of making less money.  Think

More money from sellers, yes, but with more sellers and higher average price per item.  It's the rising tide theory in action.    Also more money from third party advertisers.

Message 26 of 57
latest reply

@iart wrote:

By law, eBay's primary concern has to be for its investors. Not sellers, not buyers, but the investors.

Everything they do is toward this end. It's good for sellers to understand this.

It would be even better if eBay understood this, lately I have my doubts.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 27 of 57
latest reply

I remember the 2008 crash of over stated sales reports, stocks, and fraud. 

Are we heading down the same path AGAIN?

Message 28 of 57
latest reply

@allthingssurplus wrote:

I really didn't miss the point. That member posted several comments implying that s/he was hoping eBay would fail. Here's a question for you: why would you want eBay to fail? I'm not the one who needs to "think."

A  fun fact about stock prices:

Earnings are not the only factor on which a stock price is based.

• Any number of corporate decisions can influence the demand for a company's stock; e.g., the sale control of its South Korean business for $3 billion in cash.
  • eBay earnings are comprised of more than just "extracting more fees from Sellers [sic]." The company's latest 10-Q filing indicates, for example, an increase in advertising revenue of 58% from the previous year.
  • eBay announced a share buyback program that helps protect share price and implies management's faith in the company. This kind of program always boost investor confidence and makes a stock more attractive, thereby influencing the price per share.

Last, why would you assume I'm making less money? That seems to me to be a curious assumption.

Message 29 of 57
latest reply

If I only had a buck for every time I've read "will be the beginning of the end" for eBay, I'd be sitting fat.

Message 30 of 57
latest reply