cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER DEMAND A REFUND AFTER MONTHS OF OWNING A PRODUCT!

Ok so I have one buy that bought from me months ago, maybe almost 1 year ago. Today they came back to me and demand a refund because the items they bought from me is defective. Do they still have the right to claim a refund after almost 1 year of using the product? Am I'm protected by eBay? I honestly don't know what's going on in this situation. Any reply would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: BUYER DEMAND A REFUND AFTER MONTHS OF OWNING A PRODUCT!

Oh gosh let them file a letter with the bank they won't do anything. Don't respond to them any further. They can threaten everything under the sun and even say they will get ebay into it but nothing can or will happen. No worries at all. Crazy is as crazy does lol

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

eBay has a thirty day return window.  If they paid by credit card, they may be able to dispute it, but that might also be too late.

Advise them that it has been a year and you are sorry, but you cannot accept a return now and see what happens.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

what product was it?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

After 30 days, buyers can no longer file for a return under eBay's Money Back Guarantee. I think they have up to 6 months to file through PayPal (if they paid that way), and about the same amount of time to file a credit card chargeback.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I'm sure you can't even pull up the order anymore as it's been way past the 90 day mark so they can't open a return and if it's closer to a year, Paypal or their credit card company won't do anything if it's past 180 days. I wouldn't worry about it. I would ignore and  make sure you block them so they can't make another purchase from you.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

If it has been that long you have nothing to worry about.  The time for them to get a refund is way past.   There is nothing they can do so you should just ignore it.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Like the other poster said, the buyer has missed the return window for eBay, PayPal (if they used that to pay), and potentially their credit card company. So you are under no obligation to accept a return and refund. They might attempt a chargeback, that would be their only recourse at this late date, but it may be too long since the purchase. I would write them back with a short, polite refusal.

“Dear Buyer,

We regret the return window is closed, and therefore cannot accommodate your request. 
Sincerely, the Seller”

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

"maybe almost 1 year ago" is pretty NOT SPECIFIC... also, WHAT was the item?? And, lastly, WHAT were your RETURN POLICIES AT THAT TIME, on that sale? You should have an email about 'it' selling... and should be able to go back through your ORDER HISTORY some. Check those things out.

Personally, it I didn't 'offer' any type of guarantee, or longevity... I'd assume THEY BROKE IT - THEY did something with or two it... especially if it was USED to begin with, or uses batteries.  KNOWING WHAT IT IS, and what your terms were AT THAT TIME really helps you better answer that question.

For the most part, I would IGNORE THEM COMPLETELY for at least two or three messages. No engagement at all... potentially even REPORTING THEM TO eBAY. Because there are people that use the hound out of stuff THEN RETURN IT... or later find something similar and TRY TO TRADE IT. They might be BLOCK WORTHY... rather than getting into any type of conversation where you are attempting to defend yourself, or FAN THE FLAMES, see if it burns itself out. 

HOW MUCH WAS THE ITEM? I'd guess three or four figures (or they are truly crazy - and scrounging for money... those type of people are rare, but really do exist).  Like most scammers, better to NOT DIRECTLY ENGAGE, IMO.

foghornleg90 (aka Terry Mercer)

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@marketshop2020   I would reply that you're sorry, but the window for a return has passed. Make sure it really has been more than 6 months since they made the purchase. Most credit card banks allow 120 to 160 days for chargebacks, but I've read here that some are up to 6 months.  If you're certain it's been almost a year, you can opt to just ignore the message if you want to. Make sure to add that buyer to your Blocked Buyer List so they can't purchase from you in the future. Some people figure they've got nothing to lose by trying. Good Luck!

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Hi @marketshop2020 

I wonder if they have you confused with another seller from whom they made a more recent purchase of a similar item.  If you're sure the purchase was made over 6 months ago ... you are safe from any way I know of to get a refund.  

BE SURE to put their Username on your BBL ... just in case they think of an alternative way to get money from you.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I try that but they said that they'll going file the "certified letter to Synchrony Bank" but I just check the transaction and it was October 19, 2020.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

It was a pan.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I checked and the transaction was October 19, 2020. 1 year ago.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Right I went back and see the transaction and cannot find it. Thanks I'll do that, block the buyer.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, for the reply!

Message 15 of 25
latest reply