cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guarantee for jewelry, ripe for buyers scamming sellers?

I haven't been selling for quite a while but have some higher end jewelry pieces I'd like to list that would fall into the AG category automatically. 

After reading over the AG FAQ etc I'm actually skeptical and not at all enthusiastic about shipping off jewelry to an unknown third party (glossy pics don't count), then on to a buyer who can still choose to return an item (according to your return policy) which then goes BACK to the so-called GIA (have my doubts about this), where they 'verify' your item is indeed what was originally sent out, then gets shipped on back to you, the seller. They 'verify' it is the same exact piece exactly HOW? Are they taking close up PHOTOS of your main carat stone??? I highly doubt that! Do you know how easy it is to pop a stone out of a prong setting and replace with another of lesser grade/value?! It's very easy. Has anyone had any bad experiences/hesitation such as this?

It's bad enough chewing fingernails shipping items off to buyers with signature delivery and insured, add a higher value and this extra layer of supposed expertise in the middle; how would one then go about proving that what you received back from the 'experts' was actually switched out?  Even if you have detailed close up photos in high resolution, this middle layer of AG giving your  buyer-returned item a thumbs up green check pass via their 'inspection (consisting of WHAT?) seems like a bad potential loss set-up. Ugh. I'm def on the fence.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Authenticity Guarantee for jewelry, ripe for buyers scamming sellers?

I've had 30 or so pieces go through the Authentication program this year.  Most have gone through with no issues, a few have been pushed back for reasonable reasons.  They do go to GIA's Carlsbad campus, which is Fort Knox for diamonds pretty much.  If a return is started by a buyer, the item gets returned to GIA first, where they re-authenticate the piece.  If your diamond has a certification number with it, it will be compared to the cert on file.  The only issues I've heard of comes down to people disagreeing with GIA's decision on whether the listing matches with the item.  If you arent comfortable grading the 4 C's, gold karat, etc, I wouldn't recommend listing anything over $500.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

If you are not comfortable with the highly ranked and respected GIA to authenticate your wares, or the process involved in authenticating...I suggest you are not comfortable with selling online....

dissing GIA is uncalled for....

per the old Google:

Gem Certification: The 8 Gemstone Laboratories Everyone Should Know
  • GIA. The best-known gem testing laboratory is, undoubtedly, the Gemological Institute of America, or GIA. .
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Looks like it's been awhile since you sold anything, so your listing limits might not allow you to list something like that.

If you are able to list it, the funds will be held for 30 days before they are sent to your checking account.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

What I am not comfortable with @monica-sells , is EBAY not doing a thorough job in creating this 'service' and perhaps not thinking it through all the way. and the fact there appears to be a loophole for unscrupulous buyers. I asked a very valid question which anyone who sets stones should understand immediately.

No one is 'dissing' GIA. I have spent plenty of money shipping off loose gemstones to the Carlsbad campus, so yes, I do know something about the GIA. Perhaps you have a link showing where ebay spells out exactly where jewelry items are shipped and the exact mechanisms for determining whether or not an item has been tampered with? Seller protections for that? Ability to document and submit proof in the perhaps off-case? I did not see an exact reference. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Not a problem, that's how ebay rolls.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Thank you! Most of my pieces still have the original tags with cases and dust covers, so am not toooo concerned about the weights being off etc.

What struck me as I was reading through all the ebay AG text is that there was zero mention of protection offered in the case of a possible flim flam. Maybe it's just me, but I would like to know just how much time these GIA ebay-contracted experts spend per piece (in the case of returns) and what mechanisms are in place to verify it is THE exact same piece that came in.

Case in point: I buy and sell loose gemstones, I set gemstones, there is a huge difference between a 1 ct natural Burmese ruby and a 1 ct Thai glass filled ruby. Wiggle the carats off a bit even, say .96, who is going to take the time to verify the difference between a Thai and a Burma? "Yup, it's a red ruby returned, ship it off - CHECKED!"? I just can't imagine they are getting paid to microscopically examine the main stones on return, perhaps am wrong? I know personally what it costs to send gemstones in for certs and reports, this isn't some cheap quick turnaround as a consumer with the GIA, am finding it hard to believe one would be getting that level of scrutiny through an ebay contract. 🤔 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I have high end jewelry and I would never sell it on ebay. I sell costume and low end items. I simply don't feel like getting ripped off. In general, I seldom sell items over $100 in value. There are other ways to sell items of greater value. There are no seller protections. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I thought anything going though the Auth Program could NOT be returned (Sales are Final) (as long as it 'passes' and is forwarded to buyer?) 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Not through the jewelry authentication program.  Returns are allowed.  I've even had a SNAD opened up by a buyer after the piece went through authentication lol.  

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

They do microscopically examine the stones over a specific size.  Its the only way to verify stated clarity on diamonds and other stones.  A glass filled ruby is also very easily spotted when you have a jewelers loupe, much less a huge laboratory at your disposal.  They will only authenticate specific gemstones too.  So I imagine there are a group of people working with diamonds as their specialty, a group with sapphires and rubies, emerald, etc.  I've had multiple pieces arrive at the same time, but take drastically longer with colored stones.  But... as someone else mentioned, if you aren't comfortable sending your items off to GIA, probably best not to sell something that is required to go to them.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Sorry....there is no other way to interpret your statement other than "dissing" GIA

"...I'm actually skeptical and not at all enthusiastic about shipping off jewelry to an unknown third party (glossy pics don't count)..."

"...which then goes BACK to the so-called GIA (have my doubts about this)..."

"...add a higher value and this extra layer of supposed expertise in the middle;..."

"...that what you received back from the 'experts' was actually switched out?..."

I sell a used watch....my listing states what the watch is and what is included. The authenticators use my listing as the 'blueprint' for the authentication.

If you are uncomfortable with the "PROCESS"...how would you improve it?

That being said I understand your concern, but sometimes you can over think things. No single platform is "safe" for either buyers or sellers. You are in a tricky, expensive business, no doubt....but until somebody has a fool proof way to sell precious stones online to people you don't know and countries that don't care we adjust and adapt to what is available to us

Authenticity Guarantee for jewelry is limited to a review of claims regarding item quality and characteristics listed by the seller. These claims are assessed within defined ranges and tolerances. Below is a detailed overview of those defined ranges and tolerances.

(really long list on page)

https://www.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee/jewelry/disclaimer

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@jklfindings wrote:

Not through the jewelry authentication program.  Returns are allowed.  I've even had a SNAD opened up by a buyer after the piece went through authentication lol.  

@jklfindings  Interesting and good to know. I know the 'handbag' 'trading card' and 'shoe' Auth Programs show 'no returns all sales final' right on the listings....

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Paranoia is commonplace among online sellers. It does not matter which marketplace.

If you cannot manage your fears, it is best to refrain from selling the items which trigger your fear.

My general attitude is every online marketplace does a half-assed job of everything they do because they do it on the cheap. I refrain from selling anything which I am not willing to take a 100% loss on.

For that and other reasons, I would never sell jewelry online.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I am appreciative of some posters stating what they know to be 'fact', but what am trying to get to is 'where is the written proof' facts within ebay and or how exactly does one know these things? It is not stated on ebay EXACTLY what happens in my scenario offered. If the GIA DO microscopically examine 'returns', where is that stated within the ebay AG lit? I don't see this as being 'paranoid' as one poster put it, and I am not dissing the GIA for those who can't parse it, I am pointing out ebay's lack of furnishing very clear information along every step of the way,  focusing on my original question scenario of flim flam returns.

It's semi reassuring to hear  'they DO check stones microscopically on returns' which I DO appreciate hearing (and no to @monica-sells  I'm not worried about MY stones passing GIA specs per listing wording on their way out, not sure why you can't get that my point is returns and lack of info in AG text), but I like to see very clear outlined ALL SCENARIOS written proof on  ebays AG's pages. No disrespect there! It's called (trying) to do your homework!

I'm looking at other venues for selling higher end pieces, this is obviously just not the place. Knowing how patchy ebay's glossy AG blurb is in outlining clearly what steps are taken to ensure both buyer and seller protection (specifically around MY exact query)  does not inspire confidence. Moving on!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply