cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Issue - Completely Floored

I sold a brand new pair of Gucci sneakers that were rejected by an authenticator as showing too much wear.  It's completely false.   Literally they have zero wear and were never out of the box.   I'd understand if there was anything remotely questionable.   Nothing!

Has anyone else had this issue.?  I've sold dozens of sneakers with nothing  like this.   And there is no recourse or even way to report the authenticator.     

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Authentication Issue - Completely Floored

You could try selling them somewhere else.   Or wait a few weeks and try again and maybe you'll get a different authenticator.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I relisted them.  I sell enough to know the names of many of the authenticators.   I'd never seen this name, but feel like eBay needs to know issues with people they are hiring.   

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

If it's the same pair of sneakers that you currently have listed, you're going to risk the same result.

There's a l-o-o-o-o-n-g discussion about another failed sneaker authentication where the condition was deemed as not as described. The seller fought their finding. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Serious-questions-need-to-be-asked-about-Authentication-Pivota...

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

oh boy...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I'm ending the listing.   Partially because I'm afraid it will fail authentication and waste my time and get my blood pressure.  Partially because I don't want eBay to get another dime of my money.   And I feel that too often in the last two years.   Every policy that eBay has instituted in the past couple of years has been anti-seller.   

I'll just keep my perfect, brand new sneakers.   

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I started to read but…….

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

oh boy...

Deja vu? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

"Deja vu?"

Yes all over again..tho this op's shoes do look perfect.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

you say they'd never been out of the box, the ended listing for today that you stated you ended today, shows them out of the box?  You don't include pictures of the bottom soles or the inside soles. These photo's might help with this sort of rejection/claims.  I mean the photo's you did provide could pass as "New with box," but hard to 100% agree with you w/o the photo's of the inside sole and bottom sole's. IMO 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Out of the box to take photos.  You must do that.   If anything the soles and inside soles seal the deal on them being new.   Understand the concept, though.   A pair of Burberry shoes was just authenticated today that didn't have those pictures.   I still contend it's the authenticator.   

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

If those photos would have "sealed the deal", why didn't you include them? That's all people are saying.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I suggest you read my discussion on this. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Serious-questions-need-to-be-asked-about-Authentication-Pivota...

I just went through a pretty terrible experience overall, which at the end of the day, eBay took accountability for. It's ironic the day I close my case another exactly the same sprouts up. 

Based on one of my calls with eBay this problem is very widespread with shoe authentication and I think eBay likely has to make decision they might have acquired the wrong partner for this. I looked up Sneakercon. They're not even taking the job they were employed to do seriously. Now that I've won my fight with eBay, I'm taking on this Sneakercon entity. I might soon be the owner of a business worth about $100. Wha...wha...

As I've said and other's stated as well, eBay is no longer the place to sell high end sneakers and it appears sneakers specifically. There are other sites geared to this with a different expectation level and process. 

Question: what was the feedback level of the buyer you sold too? I am curious to know how much feedback they have and if you can see how long they've been on eBay. This was one of the strongest points I made with my case. I see you have superb feedback so already, yeah, this is deja vu..

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Thanks. Very helpful.  I always look at the buyers feedback before I accept an offer so I usually have great success in getting paid.  

eBay is definitely the one of the fastest ways to sell designer sneakers at a decent price and get paid quickly, but their lower fee ploy is not going to cut it for me.  I would love your opinion on other options.  For streetwear sneakers I think there are good options.  For designer brands I only know Poshmark and The Real Real.   Definitely take more of your money and make you wait longer to get it.  

Glad you are fighting the good fight.  

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Sure thing. This was the most pressing point I made to eBay for which they absolutely agreed and I exposed a major flaw (actually many), that eBay had absolutely no need to be involved in my deal and it seems the same for you. I asked about buyer feedback since the badge system was created for this very reason. It's taken decades for some of us to establish credibility and no matter the item or price point, there is really no need for eBay to be involved in any deal where feedback is above say 30 or 40. 

They have to account of all this on the backend, seller strikes, etc. In fact, wasn't this the big thing for so many years  - seller strikes that you couldn't actually see? 

We should be left to fend for ourselves in 90% of the situations. Now if you're a seller and have 5 feedback and sell two pairs of Golden Goose sneakers, you're absolutely going to be flagged and go through a more rigorous vetting process. The authenticator will likely still screw that up, but at least eBay has a better fall back in that example. In my case, they lost a good deal of $$. I can't imagine this helps their bottom line in the long run. Regardless if they care about sellers or not. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply