cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammer left negative ruining my 100% positive rating...

I'm going to start out by saying this is 100% lifetime positive rating, for 24 years on eBay. Admittedly this is not my first negative, but some buyers didn't know how to handle their complaint and revised their feedback once I solved their issue (which they thought I wouldn't do).

So basically buyer does an empty box scam, and due to an INAD, I had to refund. I refunded on 9/11. This discussion is in an earlier thread.

Didn't hear from the buyer after the refund until today, 9/15, where the buyer sent me TWO messages demanding a coin set from me and calling me all sorts of names (even though he's been refunded), and in addition to sending me these messages, he leaves feedback that says he didn't get any silver in the set and it was the wrong year, despite making an earlier empty box claim (which I have evidence of in eBay messages, I also have proof from Chit Chat Express that the package they processed was not an empty box, which I provided to the buyer when he made his empty box claim). I offered to alert USPS of mail tampering because I didn't send an empty box, so if he received one, it must have been tampered with. (It's too early in the morning right now for me to get into that part of the story).

Anyway feedback is not removable because it doesn't violate policies, as all eBay does is read the content of the feedback and determine removable or not. They have removed feedback before (although in this case it was positive so I had to call) because some buyer left a tirade for another seller and duplicated the feedback through several transactions so it appeared on my profile.

I did speak to a CSR before the refund to discuss the situation (when I have a problem that might become too big to handle I make a call and get a call reference number so I can hold them to whatever they promised), but the defect removal people aren't concerned with that, even though the CSR agent read the message exchange between me and the buyer and said any negatives would be removed (as his changing story makes it appear to be an obvious scam).

Not really sure what to do now, except call in the morning and complain that I was promised something and they're not keeping their promise. (I'm very big on making people do the things they say they're going to do, as I generally always keep my word). I did see an option to send an email, so I went ahead and did that, as there's no way to reply to the email that gives the decision on feedback removal.

I'm trying to think of a good reply to what he wrote that doesn't hurt me, and wondering if not replying might be best. I know that calling your customers names or saying they are lying rarely helps in these cases and just makes me look difficult to work with. If I state I refunded him in my fb reply, I'm basically telling every scammer out there that all they have to do is make a claim to get a refund. I'd rather not make things easier for scammers to scam sellers.

C.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

An old  adage comes to mind  might be  your best  recourse  - "Let a sleeping dog lie"   Nothing to be gained from a response.  Move on to better things - that  red hickey will go away in 365 days from when it was posted and life  will be good again.

I never even  came close to getting all 100% grades  from Kindergarten through Masters  classes - not even for 1 semester or grading period.- total of 19 years of formal education.  Just a  B & C and/or  2 & 3 point student w/ some Ds & As and one 4 point  sprinkled in lightly.   This ' 44 model was good with that.   Did a  whole lot better in my social life and work career.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

I don’t think you should reply at all. I know it stings but a reply might do more damage.

@johnrj1226 is right.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 3 of 40
latest reply

It seems like scammers already are aware that all they need to do is make a claim in order to be refunded.

I vote that you let sleeping dogs lie.  

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I'm kind of inclined to not reply since I don't know what I could possibly say that would help. I could be factual about what's going on, but that doesn't necessarily make me look good. So I do like that three people suggested ignoring him and his feedback. (Him I am ignoring, I already threw his messages that I got in email into archive so I don't have to look at them in my inbox).

I'm having a really hard time taking his comments seriously in his feedback... like saying how evil I am (like anyone is going to take that seriously).

What what the heck is Eden? I'm not Christian, but last I heard, Eden is some kind of paradise thing... so how is it you can be evil like a servant in paradise? Biblical references never have much meaning to me.

C.

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Now I have to convince "She Who Must Be Obeyed"  I am right once in a while after being "hooked up" 40 + years.

Guess  this is why "Men Are From Mars and Women Are From Venus"   Read the book twice and I'm still having issues.  Maybe it is because I'm  Capricorn and she is a Leo.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I think he meant serpent in Eden, so a hiss might be your reply.  He sounds like a lunatic and makes himself look bad.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Don't reply and don't let it bother you. It seems like the person who left it is just another miserable soul on this planet that cannot find happiness in anything. Also, don't worry about a negative feedback, it doesn't hurt your account and you can get all of them removed with a little effort. Call them and tell them that you need a negative removed and explain that you tried working with the buyer and they were being defamatory in messages etc... After you do that they should "escalate" it to their other department and then hopefully you get an email in a day or 2. When you get that email, you can respond to it and everytime you do it's a different person. Explain your case every time and how you've been a great seller etc... and eventually one of them will remove it. I've had over a dozen negatives between 2 account and have gotten everyone removed this year. Please don't respond to feedback. Whether it's good or not just don't respond, it doesn't make any sense and it's unprofessional.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

I think he meant serpent in Eden, so a hiss might be your reply.  He sounds like a lunatic and makes himself look bad.

That's really funny actually. He wrote "told" instead of "sold".

I dunno kids, stay in school.

I was once questioning if the account holder is who I sold to, but I looked into this a few days ago and it seems like it is (either that or someone who's using his name, address and eBay account to order stuff). The messages I get from this buyer are pretty juvenile and I expect this sort of hissy fit behaviour from someone who is too young to be buying on eBay.

C.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Just an observation.

If he claims you sent him an empty box, how does he know the coin is/was the "wrong year"?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 10 of 40
latest reply

My reply would be something like:

I've been selling on ebay for over 20 years with 100% positive feedback. Thousands of happy customers. This buyer claimed I sent him a empty box. I had to refund him. His feedback says the coin I sent him was wrong. How can a empty box have the wrong coin in  it?

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Just an observation.

If he claims you sent him an empty box, how does he know the coin is/was the "wrong year"?

I pointed that out to eBay. His eBay message to me on 9/10 said it was an empty box, then when I told him I didn't mail a box, then it was an empty envelope. Now it's the wrong year and there's no silver in the set and he's pestering me in messages to send him the item in the listing (which of course I already sent him).

I emailed from their link earlier this morning (couldn't sleep) and pointed out all these inconsistencies with his story.

C.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

My reply would be something like:

I've been selling on ebay for over 20 years with 100% positive feedback. Thousands of happy customers. This buyer claimed I sent him a empty box. I had to refund him. His feedback says the coin I sent him was wrong. How can a empty box have the wrong coin in  it?

It sounds good, but I don't think it's a good idea to respond.

I'm going to focus on getting it removed instead.

C.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

That's really funny actually. He wrote "told" instead of "sold".

I dunno kids, stay in school.

I was once questioning if the account holder is who I sold to, but I looked into this a few days ago and it seems like it is (either that or someone who's using his name, address and eBay account to order stuff). The messages I get from this buyer are pretty juvenile and I expect this sort of hissy fit behaviour from someone who is too young to be buying on eB

HISSY fit...good one!  Hope you get it removed.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Good luck!  I hope you get it removed.

NOTE: I know lots of sellers who advise not to respond to negative feedback saying it can't be removed once you respond. That is not true. I've had negative feedbacks that I responded to removed several times.  

Message 15 of 40
latest reply