cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

I ran into an issue, which I believe Ebay is well aware of.

I had a buyer open a case with their financial institution.

A relatively expensive professionally graded item.

The buyer did not follow any of Ebay policy.

Did not open an Ebay Return.

Filed with FI on the 48th day of receiving the item.

The buyer opened a dispute with financial institution and of course sided with its client.

Ebay had my funds frozen. Then released funds to (FI).

And did NOT protect me as a seller. 

And did not get my item back.

So if this has happened to you.

I would like to hear about it.

If there is a class action suit going.

I would like to be included.

Ebay knows this is happening. And is allowing this.

I have taken down any super big ticket items due to lack of safety.

I will be reposting this under several different subjects to make sure I reach the proper audiences.

Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

What recourse DO we have in this trustless environment?

Imagine ebay on the blockchain run by an "AI"!  (advanced indexer)

Message 2 of 147
latest reply

@fischstik 

Yes, so sorry.  We live in very trying times where so many are not accountable for their bad behavior and get away with it.  The buyer should have started a return and given the item back.  The thieves run a muck on most internet sites and it's just getting worse.

What you can do is reach out on social media via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These agents are US CS eBay employees and may better serve you and your situation.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful.  In the past they were helpful concerning my issue at hand.  Give it a try...it might be worth it.

Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 147
latest reply

When a buyer does a charge back, not much Ebay can do about it.

Maybe you get credit cards to change how they do things?

Have a great day
Message 4 of 147
latest reply

The buyer did not follow any of Ebay policy.

Did not open an Ebay Return.

Filed with FI on the 48th day of receiving the item.

The buyer opened a dispute with financial institution and of course sided with its client.

You seem to be misinformed about eBay policy.

First, a buyer cannot file an eBay return after 48 days.

Second, there is no eBay policy that says a buyer cannot file a dispute with his financial institution. 

In fact, eBay has an official policy page explaining how sellers  should respond to them:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes-managed-payments-seller?id=...

Ebay had my funds frozen. Then released funds to (FI).

And did NOT protect me as a seller.

And did not get my item back.

Again, you are mistaken about eBay policy.

eBay does not promise to protect sellers from all payment disputes. In fact, in the page I linked above the

clearly state that the outcome will be decided by the financial institution:

"When you challenge the payment dispute, the final outcome will be decided by the buyer’s payment institution"

Message 5 of 147
latest reply

I will be reposting this under several different subjects to make sure I reach the proper audiences.

Violating policy in order to allege that buyers are violating policy?

Message 6 of 147
latest reply

It’s not eBay you would have to sue for fraudulent chargebacks but credit card companies and I don’t see that happening.

Message 7 of 147
latest reply

If possible, go back to the agreement you signed in order to sell on eBay.

Read the part where you agreed not to get involved in any suits. 

Message 8 of 147
latest reply

While there is nothing preventing you from suing eBay or taking part in a class action lawsuit this would be a tough one. While there are things eBay COULD do to assist the seller with the ever growing chargeback problem it is unlikely they will do so. While a cardholder is supposed to use the chargeback as a last resort the CC companies, under current law, are not required to ensure the cardholder has done so before accepting the chargeback. EBay is also highly unlikely to try to work with the CC companies, or respond to the initial chargeback notification, to try and get the CC company to refute the cardholders chargeback until they have attempted to resolve it through eBay's internal processes. That would require resources that would cut into eBay's bottom line. 

To further complicate this quagmire, under current laws, CC companies are NOT required to worry about the logistical matters pertaining to the chargeback and are only concerned with the financial aspects and the basis of the claim. This translates to the CC companies are not required to have the cardholder return the item before they are potentially refunded. There is some logic behind this since chargebacks cover all charges not just products. 

There is probably very little basis for a case against either eBay or the CC companies at the moment since both are operating within legal guidelines and within their policies. It will remain this way until the government updates/changes the current consumer protection laws. Buyers and scammers are well aware of this and are using the chargeback since it is the path of least resistance. 

Message 9 of 147
latest reply

Ebay is not required by any law to underwrite your customer service failures.

If there is a chargeback dispute opened, Ebay has no control of the process or decision or even the timing of the decision.

It specifically agrees to pay for stolen credit card or unauthorized use chargebacks, and other than that is solely a conduit for the credit card issuer and your representations.

It is not a law enforcement entity nor a judicial entity. You get no more protection or risk than Walmart and the shop on Main Street get. All merchants get to operate under the same rules.

Should the Congress vote a special protection for Internet marketplace sellers, we will all see our fees go up to pay for them.

I do not get many chargeback disputes and do not wish to pay more to protect you.

Message 10 of 147
latest reply

The financial institutions do not have all the facts. 
For example this item was professionally graded. 

there is no not as described. 
as per item was disputed. 

also if the policy of not opening a return. 
is not filed. Which is first step. 
anything after 30 days of receiving. 

that is it. 

also if page states no returns on graded items. 

a buyer should not buy. 

in the world I live in 

A buyer does not get to keep their money and the item. 

this is called Fraud and Theft. 

No one should sell anything over 250$ on this site since anyone can open a dispute at any time. the FI will always side with their client. 

the fact that I did not get to explain this is lack of seller protection. 

Message 11 of 147
latest reply

As has already been mentioned, Ebay will not step in with cc chargebacks. Its the risk of selling online today.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 147
latest reply

Financial institutions seldom care about the details of a case. They offer rock solid protection to their cardholders and that’s what you’re up against.

Message 13 of 147
latest reply

"If there is a class action suit going.  I would like to be included."

You can google something like:  "class action vs eBay and financial institution."
Sometimes when you take action -- like spending time researching legal cases -- it can help you feel a little less powerless.  

However:  eBay's User Agreement specifically states that eBay will not participate in any class action suits against them.  

If you feel you have a viable case, you can file your own lawsuit against eBay.  You can sue anybody you want, but you gotta be able to prove your allegations.  You need to be aware, though, that the User Agreement also spells out that eBay will resolve any legal disputes by binding arbitration rather than by a trial in court.  That would be a good thing for both eBay and you, the plaintiff.  Binding arbitration is less formal than a court trial and also costs less. 

Message 14 of 147
latest reply

Have you considered filing charges against the buyer of the item?? They are  the one at fault.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 15 of 147
latest reply