cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

I ran into an issue, which I believe Ebay is well aware of.

I had a buyer open a case with their financial institution.

A relatively expensive professionally graded item.

The buyer did not follow any of Ebay policy.

Did not open an Ebay Return.

Filed with FI on the 48th day of receiving the item.

The buyer opened a dispute with financial institution and of course sided with its client.

Ebay had my funds frozen. Then released funds to (FI).

And did NOT protect me as a seller. 

And did not get my item back.

So if this has happened to you.

I would like to hear about it.

If there is a class action suit going.

I would like to be included.

Ebay knows this is happening. And is allowing this.

I have taken down any super big ticket items due to lack of safety.

I will be reposting this under several different subjects to make sure I reach the proper audiences.

Message 1 of 152
latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

Re: Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

So, who has the authority then? that way people just can go at spree paying with CC and open a claim weeks later, looks like a perfect loop hole for scammers

Message 136 of 152
latest reply

Re: Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

@global_military_surplus wrote:

So, who has the authority then? that way people just can go at spree paying with CC and open a claim weeks later, looks like a perfect loop hole for scammers

To resume, the only winners here are...the scammers and eBay 

Unfortunately, that's correct:

-- When eBay inserted its Managed Payments LAYER between PayPal and the seller

-- that raised scams and fraud to the next order of magnitude, where the seller is further deprived of control.

Message 137 of 152
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@mam98031 ,

My business and personal Amex cards are 180 days.

That doesn't surprise me about AMEX as it is one of the, if not the most expensive cards for merchants to process.  

And most times the slowest to release the payments.

Have a great day
Message 138 of 152
latest reply

@kako_5344 wrote:

@refbrand wrote:

Wait a second unless I'm missing a post you never said what the dispute with the FI was for. Was it an item not recieved claim?  Or item not as described claim?  Or not my purchase? 

Yup, the original post, number 1. Did you read it?

Nope, there's nothing there saying why the charge back was started.

Have a great day
Message 139 of 152
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@dbfolks166mt ,

If a business with a merchant account gets too many chargebacks from their customers their fees they pay for payment processing goes up. If that doesn't work the business will get suspended.

That makes sense for small websites or B&M's.  It is likely not to apply to sites as big as Ebay and Amazon.  The CCCs make good money from their customers using these sites despite the chargebacks.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 140 of 152
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@kako_5344 wrote:

@refbrand wrote:

Wait a second unless I'm missing a post you never said what the dispute with the FI was for. Was it an item not recieved claim?  Or item not as described claim?  Or not my purchase? 

Yup, the original post, number 1. Did you read it?

Nope, there's nothing there saying why the charge back was started.

Was it an item not recieved claim?  Or item not as described claim?  Or not my purchase?

Was it not my purchase? 

- Reading the original post reveals it's not a not my purchase claim.

Was it an item not recieved claim? 

- Reading the original post reveals it's not an item not recieved claim.

Was it item not as described claim?

- Reading the original post reveals what the dispute with the FI was for.

Message 141 of 152
latest reply

@sdneped 

Not on Ebay.  Ebay is the Merchant of Record for all Ebay sellers.

A money processor has to be the Merchant of Record to be able to process the payment.

eBay is the merchant of record (MoR) for an eBay sale because it processes payments for the sale. The MoR is the entity that is legally responsible for processing customer payments for goods or services. In the case of eBay sales, this includes payments from PayPal that are funded by a debit or credit card. 

I'm unsure where you are getting your information.  Ebay does have contracts with CCCs.  Ebay has been the Money Processor, not PayPal from the moment a seller entered the Managed Payment Program starting in the summer of 2020.

I'm unsure why you think things work so differently for PayPal.  Paypal is NOT a bank.  They are a Money Processor like Ebay.  They have a bank that supports their transactions. 

PayPal is not a bank, but it partners with banks to offer products like debit cards, prepaid cards, credit cards, and lines of credit. These banks include:
  • The Bancorp Bank: Provides the direct deposit routing number for the PayPal Debit Card
  • Synchrony Bank: Offers PayPal Credit, which is subject to credit approval and available to US residents who are of legal age in their state of residence

"eBay FAILS to dispute" and cannot because eBay is not FACING the card issuer"  This is also incorrect.  Ebay nor any other Money Processor has control over the Chargeback process.  It is all in the hands of the financial institutes per LAW.  Now Ebay can make the Seller whole if they deem the seller should be covered under Seller Protection.  But if the CCC gets a refund for their buyer, then that money would come from Ebay and not the seller in such a case.

Message 142 of 152
latest reply

As I've repeatedly said it is the CCCs that control this process by LAW.  I'm confident Ebay may want to do it for better results for their sellers, but the fact is they can't.  I'm not defending this process I'm just telling you what it is.  Google it and find out for yourself.  The information is on the internet.  Just go and take a peek.

Message 143 of 152
latest reply

@sdneped wrote:

To resume, the only winners here are...the scammers and eBay 

Unfortunately, that's correct:

-- that raised scams and fraud to the next order of magnitude, where the seller is further deprived of control.

Paypal is NOT between Ebay and the seller.  They haven't been since sellers began using the Managed Payments program and Ebay became their money processor.

These chargebacks happened when PayPal was our money processor too.  So unsure where you are getting your information that they have now increase because Ebay is our money processor now.

I'm not saying Chargebacks have not increased, I simply don't know what those number are, but if they have been on the rise it is far more likely because there are more thieves out there than there was before, not because Ebay did anything.

Message 144 of 152
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@mam98031 ,

My business and personal Amex cards are 180 days.

That doesn't surprise me about AMEX as it is one of the, if not the most expensive cards for merchants to process.  

And most times the slowest to release the payments.

Yes that too.

Message 145 of 152
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Paypal is NOT between Ebay and the seller. 

Reading is fundamental. From there, perhaps mind the spelling, work your way up, and stay on topic?

Message 146 of 152
latest reply

@ma-647837 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Paypal is NOT between Ebay and the seller. 

Reading is fundamental. From there, perhaps mind the spelling, work your way up, and stay on topic?

No need to toss insults.  It simply isn't necessary.  Sometimes it does take a bit of time for people to get use to change and this is likely just one of those times.

Message 147 of 152
latest reply

Hi there . I am sorry about your experience . I have a case if you like to open if there is none . This people have to stop scamming people getting Rick at the expense of someone else . There should be a class action against them . I can tell you my story . If you're interested and get together there are many in YouTube with different stories . 

Message 148 of 152
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@ma-647837 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Paypal is NOT between Ebay and the seller

No need to toss insults.  It simply isn't necessary.  Sometimes it does take a bit of time for people to get use to change and this is likely just one of those times.

See where the reading failed?

Message 149 of 152
latest reply

What  you said is true  too point . But Know several  sellers  that deal in expensive  goods  ,have stated to me ,that they can't  take the Losse's  from buyer fraud  and return  abuse   for  so long before they can't  afforded  it  and  forced out of  business.      

Message 150 of 152
latest reply