cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

I ran into an issue, which I believe Ebay is well aware of.

I had a buyer open a case with their financial institution.

A relatively expensive professionally graded item.

The buyer did not follow any of Ebay policy.

Did not open an Ebay Return.

Filed with FI on the 48th day of receiving the item.

The buyer opened a dispute with financial institution and of course sided with its client.

Ebay had my funds frozen. Then released funds to (FI).

And did NOT protect me as a seller. 

And did not get my item back.

So if this has happened to you.

I would like to hear about it.

If there is a class action suit going.

I would like to be included.

Ebay knows this is happening. And is allowing this.

I have taken down any super big ticket items due to lack of safety.

I will be reposting this under several different subjects to make sure I reach the proper audiences.

Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Re: Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

@refbrand wrote:

Wait a second unless I'm missing a post you never said what the dispute with the FI was for. Was it an item not recieved claim?  Or item not as described claim?  Or not my purchase? 

Yup, the original post, number 1. Did you read it?

Message 121 of 147
latest reply

Re: Are there any class action suits against Ebay dealing with fraud via financial institutions?

I recommend  you go  auctionbites.com   and look up  Ebay's  meeting  with  Goldman  Sak's  5th Ave    bank meeting   about  Adyen  Managed Payments  Nov. 2019    with former Ceo. Devlyn  Winick   . They ask them if all sellers  would be in Managed payments  , he said No only 75 %  of sellers  in managed payments.  . Then he was ask if ebay was  going to be 100%   merchant of record . Again He told them No.      if you go through pages  22  to  25   and read it over  it is a  eye opener .  Also on Page 24  Winick told VP of Goldman  Sak's that 25%   of  it's members would still use PayPal as always  .   I  was one of 25%   that was told I would not be in Managed  payments  . .  

Message 122 of 147
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

I recommend  you go  auctionbites.com   and look up  Ebay's  meeting  with  Goldman  Sak's  5th Ave    bank meeting   about  Adyen  Managed Payments  Nov. 2019    with former Ceo. Devlyn  Winick   . They ask them if all sellers  would be in Managed payments  , he said No only 75 %  of sellers  in managed payments.  . Then he was ask if ebay was  going to be 100%   merchant of record . Again He told them No.      if you go through pages  22  to  25   and read it over  it is a  eye opener .  Also on Page 24  Winick told VP of Goldman  Sak's that 25%   of  it's members would still use PayPal as always  .   I  was one of 25%   that was told I would not be in Managed  payments  . .  

So for 25% PayPal is the merchant of record, and for the other 75% Adyen is the merchant of record on eBay.

And if you're not in Managed  Payments, you can't sell on eBay.

Message 123 of 147
latest reply

The   Devlyn  Winick  said 25%   of sellers  would  be able to sell on Ebay  and take   paypal payment's as before  . because Adyen  refused  to process  the payments those 25% where dealers in do to EU regulations and laws  .  Because I was in that 25%  that has never been in Managed payments , and in May 2021   ebay  removed  the category's  I was a dealer in  which  in total  ebay  removed  about  20   category's. I quit  selling then .  also in Feb.2022   ebay removed 4 more categories   . I read last  year they removed  1 more. 

Message 124 of 147
latest reply

Hi, I have a similar issue in the UK. I'm having a bit of a run around with Ebay.

First, they advised that I must speak to Paypal who was the "financial institution"  and then they accepted that Seller Protection does not protect sellers against chargeback fraud.

If anyone sells anything at all on ebay ever, then several months later ebay can just take the money back from your bank. In the UKebay charge an additional £14 as well. There is nothing you can do about it. In my case, they said the item was reported as "not as described" four months after the sale by a buyer with a new account and rating of zero, but there were no additional details at all.

The forums have literally thousands of victims of this "chargeback fraud" but Data protection rules mean that there is no way to get any information at all.

Message 125 of 147
latest reply

I disagree, I have a merchants account and in any charge back you can open a dispute. eBay FAILS to dispute because that will cost them time.  I had a few charge backs from scammers, I disputed and won all of them.

Message 126 of 147
latest reply

Any charge back can be disputed, eBay choice of let the buyers institution decide is ill. I am sure if was ebay's money they would dispute

Message 127 of 147
latest reply

@global_military_surplus wrote:

Any charge back can be disputed, eBay choice of let the buyers institution decide is ill. I am sure if was ebay's money they would dispute

LOL WHAT? 'eBay choice of let the buyers institution decide'.

That isn't eBay's choice, that's what eBay has to allow in order to accept Visa, Mastercard, Paypal etc.

Message 128 of 147
latest reply

@fischstik ,

The Fair Credit Billing Act which was enacted in 1974 governs the rights for a consumer to file a dispute thru their financial institution when they have a dispute with the merchant. 

There is nothing eBay can do if the financial institution rules in favor of the buyer other than refund the money.   

Message 129 of 147
latest reply

I disagree, I have a merchants account and in any charge back you can open a dispute. eBay FAILS to dispute because that will cost them time.  I had a few charge backs from scammers, I disputed and won all of them.

Where else do you sell that you have a Merchant Account?  Do you have a B&M?

I only have experience with Chargeback Disputes on Ebay and PayPal before that.  If you want to dispute a Chargeback that gets filed against you, there is no need to "open a dispute", that has already been done when you were notified that there was a Chargeback.  

Now you can respond to a Chargeback and defend your position by submitting evidence for consideration by the financial institute.

Since you have a Merchant Account, then you should know, Ebay has ZERO to do with a Chargeback.  They can't make any ruling at all.  By LAW it is all on the financial institute to make the decision and they have large range of options.  Far to often they rule to allow the buyer to keep the item and get a full refund too.  That will continue to happen until we can get the laws changes that govern this process.

Now sometimes Ebay will cover the seller under Seller Protection.  Which means Ebay pays the financial institute for you and you get to keep your money.  But that is about the extent Ebay can do in covering a Chargeback.  

I too have had good luck so far winning Chargebacks over the years.  I am proactive and I submit all the evidence I can lay my hands on to prove the buyer wrong.  It can work.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 130 of 147
latest reply

Blanket statements are rarely correct.  There are always exceptions.  

Ebay has absolutely zero authority to make any kind of choice for the buyer's financial institute.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 131 of 147
latest reply

I will not believe. That they have to do it this way. it’s more convenient this way. 

now I won’t put the big items up. 
250$ and less. 

eventually I will cut the cord here 

no safety. Means less selling. 

The lack of seller protection is one reason I have never listed high value or high target items although these days anything seems game. EBay could, and possibly does, monitor buyers chargebacks but the effort is probably limited since they really have nothing to loose, other than sellers. It would/does cost eBay time and effort to do anything and those costs eat into the bottom line. 

While eBay may not do much the CC companies do for sure. Chargebacks cost them time and resources to address and that eats into their bottom line. CC companies can, and do, revoke a cardholders privileges to open chargebacks, they may even suspend their account if it appears habitual. 

The same applies to businesses that have too many chargebacks opened against them. The CC company may suspend the merchant from being able to accept their card as a form of payment.

Message 132 of 147
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt ,

If a business with a merchant account gets too many chargebacks from their customers their fees they pay for payment processing goes up. If that doesn't work the business will get suspended.

Message 133 of 147
latest reply

@digby! wrote:

In my case, they said the item was reported as "not as described" four months after the sale by a buyer with a new account and rating of zero, but there were no additional details at all.

The forums have literally thousands of victims of this "chargeback fraud" but Data protection rules mean that there is no way to get any information at all

I disagree, I have a merchants account and in any charge back you can [dispute it]. eBay FAILS to dispute because that will cost them time.  I had a few charge backs from scammers, I disputed and won all of them.

That's because you have a merchant's account @global_military_surplus and

-- you're the Merchant of Record, same tier as

-- PayPal the Merchant of Record, and

-- Adyen the Merchant of Record

directly FACING the issuer:

sdneped_1-1711336116245.jpeg

eBay has no contact with the card issuer @digby! because

-- eBay is a sub-account under PayPal, and a sub-account under Adyen.

So eBay is just a patsy/passthrough @global_military_surplus for the eBay seller

-- to pass messages and documents between the seller to-and-from PayPal or Adyen.

You are both correct and incorrect:

-- You disputed and won chargebacks as you're FACING the card issuer.

-- "eBay FAILS to dispute" and cannot because eBay is not FACING the card issuer.

Look at the chart: Only PayPal and Adyen are FACING the card issuer, to dispute a chargeback.

Message 134 of 147
latest reply

To resume, the only winners here are...the scammers and eBay

Message 135 of 147
latest reply