cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Your Sells Slowing? Why Pay For A Store When Your Listings Are NOT Being Seen??

The problem is way bigger than most think, mainly because most sellers do not take the time to read.  New requirements for sellers to update all their listings to conform with the new 'catalog listing requirement' is beginning.  We've been feeling its effects for awhile now as they've been getting it up and running.  With questions like, "what's going on with eBay?" and, "what's happening to my sales?" and, "is anyone else experience a shut down of sales lately?"  All the same questions wondering why they are experiencing a loss of business.  This new 'product-based shopping experience' for the buyers, will have a profound affect on the sellers.  For some, like the big business type stores, this will be great.  For the smaller stores and those with unusual items it may be different.  For the sellers of vintage, used, antique and one of a kind, it may pretty much be over, or at the least, a stand still for some time. This new policy that takes affect in May is directly to benefit the 'new' item stores.  If your items are not found in the new eBay catalog, your items will not be viewed, plain and simple.  Of course eBay says they will eventually get those type items added into the catalog, but that these changes are going to take a lot of time and most likely, money.  I think we all know what that means.

I urge all sellers to take the time to go to the 'Seller Center' and read every question they have given answers for and don't forget to read the answer too.  It will open your eyes as to why you have not had any sales and why you may not have any for a long time.  If you have not updated your listings to be in the new product-based catalog for eBay's new 'product based shopping experience', then you are going to miss out. This is important so take the time and read the updates taking place before it is too late.  Some of you may want to just close shop and others will want to get busy fixing all their listings to be able to stay in business.  Go! Read! Do it now!   Smiley HappyHope I didn't scare you. I just wanted to get your attention.  This is important.  Below is one copied question & answer of the many eBay has supplied, as an example of what you will find there:

Will the catalog listing requirement expand to vintage, unique, or one of a kind items at a later time?

Yes. We will enable all sellers to add their products to the eBay catalog directly, including unique, handmade, and vintage items. Associating these items with the catalog will ensure that they are discoverable in the new product-based shopping experiences. Adding a unique product to the eBay catalog will require a similar time investment as the current listing creation process.

Does that not sound as though these will be last to make it into the catalog, and until they are added these will not be found in 'search'?? These were not the only ones so check it out and I think you will understand why your listings are not being viewed or bought.  Go to the 'Sellers Center' and read every question and click on the answers eBay has supplied so you won't be left behind.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Are Your Sells Slowing? Why Pay For A Store When Your Listings Are NOT Being Seen??

All i know is that i am **bleep** tired of having to go and change things all the time or learn a new format . I am also a customer , i pay for a service from e bay i am not their employee this is my personal time and energy they dont mind wasting .  It has taken me years of listing & work  to build up a inventory of almost 700 items now i have to go and revise every item if i want it seen ? thats hundreds of hours of work done for nothing ?  creating listings is very time consuming and i really dont like to have to do it all over again when i should be listing new items not going back and revising all of them again .  

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Re: Are Your Sells Slowing? Why Pay For A Store When Your Listings Are NOT Being Seen??

@fine_find wrote:

If your items are not found in the new eBay catalog, your items will not be viewed, plain and simple.  

This screenshot shows the products affected starting in May

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

That is why I have taken the time to forewarn all sellers of the coming problems if they don't get it ready now. So, if you want your items to be found in 'search' results, you will need to most likely re-do the titles and information you now have for your listings, to what is now required by eBay to be in the new catalog. Good luck to all of you. I hope this has been helpful to everyone.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for showing this to the sellers who have not had the chance to review the coming storm, I mean 'product-based catalog' eBay has been working on all this time for its sellers. And you thought that last hoop to jump through was difficult. 😞
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Explain this to eBay and maybe they will compensate you for your time with a few months free store subscription or something. Might be worth a shot. Actually, I'm surprised that eBay hasn't offered this to its sellers as surely it must know how much time this will take the sellers to change everything all over again to comply with this new catalog requirement. Good luck to you.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

How does this affect sellers who have one of a kind antiques or collectibles? Will those items be seen starting in May?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

WHAT - WHERE IS "SELLER CENTER"?
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

My sales are up since last year this time. we'll see in the summer, though, when they change AGAIN the way sellers must do certain things or else...
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I certainly don't take as gospel anything ebay says until I see it in action.   The catalog listing requirement is being rolled out for very few categories.   Unless it works as anticipated - which is a long term stretch for anything ebay does - it will be slow to spread to other categories.   They have had a flawed  catalog for books for years - it is no better today than it was five years ago despite numerous seller complaints.   My book sales are decent even though I opt out of their catalog listing for almost half of what I list. 

I figure I'll be pushing up daisies before they get any workable catalog for used, handmade and vintage items. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

For that matter why pay 30 cents a listing only to lose money, and relist to lose more money vicious circle with poor (if any) results...

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I closed my store January 1st.  My sales since then are comparable to most months with a store.  Fortunately, I have gotten a few free listings promos since closing the store so I haven't yet paid any listing fees.     I have seen no difference in traffic with or without a store - the difference I do see is traffic for new listngs vs items previously listed. 

Without any free listing promos in excess of the 50,  I might pay a listing fee for 10-20 additional items per month, but only for new listings with a price of $15 or more plus shipping - not to relist any items.    And I would only continue to do so if the sell thru rates on those listings was 40% or better. 

At some point I might also consider a starter store. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Yes, I sell in a vintage niche and my sales are BEYOND slow, they have died a quick death awhile ago, after 15 years+ - so I looked up the product catalog, and because of my type of items, I was sent directly to a regular listing form - now what? It does NOT benefit me at all to use the catalog, since I am NOT included - is the ONLY answer to quit? 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

We saw a 70% decrease in sales overnight starting 4/20. The problem is when I go and try to catalog the items very few are actually in the catalog. The only sales we are getting now is from Promo. Ebay really F'd us on this one!

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

You aren’t required to use the catalogue in your category and as you said, those items aren’t even in the catalogue so why think about quitting?  Unless  it is required in your category, it shouldn’t affect you. 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply